Author Topic: ECU dead??  (Read 1191 times)

Offline minimikee

• aka TRX13
  • antrx.com junkie
ECU dead??
« on: Sep 15, 2010, 09:20PM »
Hey guys,

After letting the TRX sit for 4 days while I was on holiday I got back to it and it wouldn't start, it would crank easily but wouldn't fire.

After investigating, I wasn't getting any spark and the injectors weren't squirting. Turns out my ECU was shagged!!

I picked another one up from the wreckers for $60 and the car started up again.

My problem is two fold, first is how the hell could this happen??
                                second, is running the R4 cam and 3" exhaust on a standard tune going to be a problem short term??

Thanks, Guys and Gals
lol Phantom and I at the wreckers
Me - 'Oi do you have a hammer'
Phantom - 'No, here have an auto-controller' lol

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: ECU dead??
« Reply #1 on: Sep 15, 2010, 10:56PM »
Is the chip soldered in?

I was having the same problem, turned out that driving the car, the vibration had moved the chip out of the socket just enough to cause it issues.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Sep 15, 2010, 11:08PM »
Which AFM are you running?

I wouldn't think an R4 Cam and larger exhaust on a standard ECU would cause any dramas. Seeing as the 3 inch would shift the powerband later.. which the R4 takes cares of anyways (though standard ECU is limited to 6000rpm) the only real difference without an Antrx chip is the standard fuel map causing that "lag" of power until 2700 which would probably be amplified by the larger exhaust.

So in short, I don't think it will actually harm anything except for a difference in driveability.. unless you have a different AFM to standard in which case... ;)
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline minimikee

• aka TRX13
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 16, 2010, 08:21AM »
Thanks for the reply guys, the chip is in a socket i bought from jaycar. I can't get the chipped ECU into diagnostic mode, it seems to be completely dead
lol Phantom and I at the wreckers
Me - 'Oi do you have a hammer'
Phantom - 'No, here have an auto-controller' lol