Author Topic: 'Sloppy' Accelerator Pedal  (Read 1891 times)

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
'Sloppy' Accelerator Pedal
« on: Mar 20, 2004, 09:59AM »
i recently noticed that my accelerator pedal does not 'respond' immediately and it was a bit floppy, so i looked up to where it joins with the cable and noticed that the pedal moves a good 5-7 mm before it presses up against the hexagonal nut looking thing, moving the cable. Theres a lot of loose rubber on the cable between the 'nut' and where the pedal meets the cable so maybe it has come loose or broken off or something.
i was thinging of maybe putting some rubber O-rings in there but it would require quite a few of them, and i dont think its possible to get washers in there without doing some cutting, which i dont want to do.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: 'Sloppy' Accelerator Pedal
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20, 2004, 11:51AM »
If you could post a pic of what you're talking about, that'd be very helpful.

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20, 2004, 01:27PM »
sorry about my lack of technical terminology, but basically the throttle cable has a nut at the end, when you press the accelerator the top end of the pedal pushes against this nut and pulls the cable, mine sits a fair distance away from this nut so when i press it, it has to cover a fair distance before it reaches the nut, and pulls the cable
ive taken pics but i need my dads laptop to upload them, its the only computer that has the software to do it.

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
« Reply #3 on: Apr 4, 2004, 10:24PM »
just a thought...

Is that the same thing as they call "Accelerator Free Play"

The pedal moves before the cable just so you don't rev every time you bump the pedal.

Can you wind the nut further forward towards the back of the pedal?
Is there an adjustment where the cable meets the throttle?
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Apr 5, 2004, 12:27PM »
there is also supposed to be a little bit of free play in the cable because if its too tight you can risk bending the throttle butterfly, although you wouldnt believe it until you saw it happen.

either way there shouldbt that much play. when you upload the pics i'm sure we'll be able to help you out a little more.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Apr 5, 2004, 07:01PM »
it is not a nut as such, just the end of the throttle cable, which has a hexagonal shaped head.
anyway i got my mate to put his foot to the floor, while i got in the engine bay, i couldnt move the throttle anymore manually, so i guess if i did something to fix it, and i pushed my foot to the floor, it could stretch the cable too far.
ill get over it, the stall shudders every time i moved the car slowly got annoying, but ive become used to it.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #6 on: Apr 14, 2004, 01:35AM »
if the cable itself is too loose then that will happen, although it would have to be very loose.

Try tightening it up by moving the turnbuckle which adjusts the cable tightness. This is right next to where the throttle cable connects to the throttle body. There should be only 2-3mm of up-down movement in the throttle cable between this turnbuckle and the throttle lever (attached to the TB). Any more than that and it needs adjusting.
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2004, 10:18AM »
im sorry rich, i dont know what a throttle body, a turnbuckle or a throttle level is.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Apr 17, 2004, 10:26AM »
lol.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...