Author Topic: JVC Head Unit - Face Plate Stuffed  (Read 2049 times)

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
JVC Head Unit - Face Plate Stuffed
« on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:13PM »
I've got a JVC KDLH3105 Head deck and the face plate is stuffed. The pixel thingy's (whatever they're called) don't line up in some places, so some of the writing and pics get all disjointed. I've had it just over 2 years now so it's definately out of warranty. My bro (nismo_31) has the exact same head deck and i've tried his face on mine - works perfectly, and mine on his - retarded as well. So it's definately something wrong with my face plate... However other than the screwed up images, it still works perfectly fine.

Would anyone have any idea how much it would cost to get a new face plate or get it repaired? Or am i correct in thinking that it would be best just to dump it and buy a new head deck altogether???

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
Re: JVC Head Unit - Face Plate Stuffed
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:17PM »
if you have had it for 2 years, i would be looking at an upgrade/new deck... if you want, contact the manufacturer, and im sure that if the unit is still in production, they will have face plates for sale...

just a little redirection, TRXJon has a H/U up for sale in the for sales section, might be worth checking it out...

but just to reitterate, if it was me, id be looking at a new unit
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:33PM »
Just got of the phone with Advance Radio which is JVC authourised repairer, a new face is between $130-250 normally but can be more. Ring on 3397 3363 to get exact pricing.

I dont think id get it repaired as your looking at around the 80/hr labour rate.

Also found out that there are a new JVC series about to be released so if you can hold of untill then prices on current models should drop if you want to stay with jvc. If not happy shopping :)
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:58PM »
Just got of the phone with Advance Radio which is JVC authourised repairer, a new face is between $130-250 normally but can be more. Ring on 3397 3363 to get exact pricing.

I dont think id get it repaired as your looking at around the 80/hr labour rate.

Also found out that there are a new JVC series about to be released so if you can hold of untill then prices on current models should drop if you want to stay with jvc. If not happy shopping :)

Holy crap!!! Thanks Paul!!! The head deck only cost me $600 brand new.

I'm not particulary happy with JVC, my stacker had to be repaired 3 times under warranty. So i might switch to another brand... Dunno if i'll bother buying a new one straight away, but if something pops up then i'll go for it. I've also got JVC 6x9's which are pretty average and JVC splits - which i love!!! Luckily i haven't had any problems with the speakers.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2006, 03:23PM »
Before u take it to get reparaired, try cleaning the contacts on the back of your faceplate and on the headunit, they might be abit corroded and failing to transmit data properly, sometimes they oxidise, just a clean could work..

Hope it works out !
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline NIZ013

• post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2006, 03:49PM »
Before u take it to get reparaired, try cleaning the contacts on the back of your faceplate and on the headunit, they might be abit corroded and failing to transmit data properly, sometimes they oxidise, just a clean could work..

Hope it works out !

Yeah i've already tried that, unfortunately it made no difference..  :(
Maybe i could get a good deal at Strathfield on a new head deck???  :-\

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:32PM »
personally, id get a new deck i think you should buy a new one, no point wasting up to $250 on a face when you can put it towards a new deck, and yes, i think we can accomodate some sort of deal .....  :P ::)

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline beeber

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #7 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:59PM »
I had a head unit with a cracked face and cost $160 to get it fixed.  so its expensive... good luck...

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:38PM »
If you're not happy with JVC, then I don't know if you're going to find much better quality brands at Strathfield...

As Kranzy said, it could cost a little, or a lot... I could find out for you though, sell JVC at work...
1993 U13 Bluebird