Author Topic: overusing amp??  (Read 5923 times)

Offline subdued

• antrx.com junior member
overusing amp??
« on: Feb 1, 2006, 10:01AM »
hey guys,
this is kind of a stupid question cos i already think the answer will be yes, but ill ask anyway.

I have a pioneer 300w amp running a kenwood 12" sub in the boot of my car, and was wondering, if i connected my 6x9's to it as well, would it bake my amp? oh and btw, the amp is already bridged...

lol now that i have asked that, it sounds even more stupid.. but hey.. what ya gunna do..

peace

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
Re: overusing amp??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 1, 2006, 10:36AM »
Yes... well, it may not blow or smoke, but it will be dam close... not good either
1993 U13 Bluebird

Powered by Alpine Electronics and D2 Racing Suspension

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 1, 2006, 05:50PM »
it will cook some thing, if the amp is only a 2ch, and its bridged, it will be running at 2ohm, add anything else to it and it will bring the amp down to 1ohm, and i dont know of any low end pioneer amps that will run 1ohm stable, same goes for the sub, and the speakers, in a nutshell, you will cook something

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #3 on: Feb 1, 2006, 05:58PM »
it is possible to run the two speakers off one channel and the sub off the other. you will need an rca splitter (2 female> 1 male) to connect both up. The speakers will run at 2ohm and in dual mono. while the sub will run with less power it will still work.
seems very dodgy. getting another amp would be an option. you asked if it was possible and i gave you the solution.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 1, 2006, 07:14PM »
Rathies has the only option if it is just a 2 channel amp. And that's a very dodgy option.

However if it is a 4ch amp, it'll be fine.

Just run your 6x9s off the head unit if it's a 2ch.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 1, 2006, 08:35PM »
You could hook the 6x9s up in series and then hook them up in parallel to the sub, bridged on the amp. They would be in mono though. However the resistance would be acceptable.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 1, 2006, 09:52PM »
Hang on, you need to use a low pass filter for the sub, so unless you have a 4ch amp you can't do it.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Feb 1, 2006, 09:58PM »
thats right jono, simple answer, buy a new amp  ;)

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline subdued

« Reply #8 on: Feb 2, 2006, 10:39AM »
yea, its only 2 channel, and i was bored yesterday, and i was just wondering if it was possible, with any decent sound quality.. ill be getting a new amp in a few weeks, so i was kinda just jumping the gun a little..  :P

thanks for the imput guys

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #9 on: Feb 3, 2006, 01:58PM »
well what i would say is are your 6x9's any good? cuz if they are why dont u give em 1 channel each and F*ck the sub off untill you get a more powerful amp to power it. The sound quality should improve and you should get enough bass from the 6x9's (if they are good 1's).

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 6, 2006, 10:54PM »
Ash, sorry to contradict you but he'd be better off just running the 6x9s off the HU and keeping the sub running off the amp. There's a lot of lower frequencies that 6x9s don't reproduce yet a sub will.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Feb 6, 2006, 10:57PM »
Ash, sorry to contradict you but he'd be better off just running the 6x9s off the HU and keeping the sub running off the amp. There's a lot of lower frequencies that 6x9s don't reproduce yet a sub will.

as long as you dont have a sony xplod sub then this is true. the cheap hexagon ones don't respond to anything under 500wrms.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline subdued

« Reply #12 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:20PM »
as long as you dont have a sony xplod sub then this is true. the cheap hexagon ones don't respond to anything under 500wrms.

nope no dirty old sony explode sub for me.. really not a fan. i have explode 6 inches in the front and they do sound incredibly shit.. absolutley hate them. thank god i got them for free  :P

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:50PM »
Old Sony Xplod gear is aptly named... it has a tendency to eXplode.

The new stuff is alright though.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2006, 07:59PM »
id concur, their new series of gear is really impressive, especially the amp range.

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:35PM »
new series eh.. u mean the uber high range stuff right?

edit: didn't see anything too fancy. http://www.sony.com.au/xplod/category.jsp?id=21982
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006, 09:44PM by rathies »

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:49AM »
the new ones, like these: http://www.sony.com.au/xplod/catalog/product.jsp;jsessionid=LBBKVIDK55RAACWSCFBCFEQK0IIUGIV0?categoryId=22002, are the new series, they come in 2ch, 4ch and mono, and are all the exact same dimentions and shape, which, on a install level is excellent.

anywho, back on topic now

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2006, 08:42PM »
You mean the grey/silver amps, SSStick?

Same size amps lined up look very schmick  8)
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2006, 12:11AM »
You mean the grey/silver amps, SSStick?

Same size amps lined up look very schmick  8)

the very same jono  ::)

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:01PM »
Old Sony Xplod gear is aptly named... it has a tendency to eXplode.

That's weird..My sony 6x9's sound awesome and i've heard some pioneer ones before and the bass from them was more of a high pitch crack than a shake and resonance sound, hard to explain.. put it this way, the sony's gave a lower frequency as i could feel it and hear it where the pioneers i just heard a tinny bass sound..

???
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2006, 03:34PM »
All depends on how it is run aswell...if one is amped and the other isnt...how good the amp in the headunit are, wiring correct and all sorts of things need to be taken into account.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2006, 04:59PM »
Well, his was running off his headunit (some expensive pioneer back then, i think JonB's current one for sale) and mine was running off the H/U too, i just have some JVC chameleon one lol
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Bullion

• antrx.com full member
  • Hey hey!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 17, 2006, 09:37AM »
Also depends on how they are mounted...
1993 U13 Bluebird