Author Topic: Amp wiring ????  (Read 4040 times)

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Amp wiring ????
« on: Feb 22, 2012, 07:34PM »
sorry guys, audio noob here.

So I have the cadence 4000 series 4 channel amplifier. now how would i wire it for the best set up ?

I have:
front 6.5 Soudstream splits with cross overs and tweeters.
Rear 6x9 Soundstreams
with a soundstream sub.

what channel should i wire each one to for the best setup ?
from memory, they are currently:

6x9s and 6.5s are bridged between channels 1 and 2
the sub is bridged between channel 3 and 4.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Amp wiring ????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:10PM »
I wouldn't run splits and 6x9 off the same channels. If run in parallel you'll probably have a 2ohm load, or in series will give you 8ohm on an amp that would be designed to run at 2ohm. You'll either work the amp too much or you'll have an under performing system.

If it was me, I would run the splits of channels 1&2, run the 6x9s off the rear out of the headunit (you never sit in the back anyway). And then run the subs bridged off 3&4.

Or buy a monoblock amp for the sub.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:25PM »
I wouldn't run splits and 6x9 off the same channels. If run in parallel you'll probably have a 2ohm load, or in series will give you 8ohm on an amp that would be designed to run at 2ohm. You'll either work the amp too much or you'll have an under performing system.

If it was me, I would run the splits of channels 1&2, run the 6x9s off the rear out of the headunit (you never sit in the back anyway). And then run the subs bridged off 3&4.

Or buy a monoblock amp for the sub.

cheers mate.
i picked up the soundstream sub from cash converters for $20 YO, commy spec FTW, i dont think its very clear though :/

Ill try what you said by running the 6x9s off the head unit, 6.5s off channels 1 and 2  and bridge the sub between 3 and 4. ill see how that works and if not, ill fuck the sub off and run the 6x9s on channels 3 and 4.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:35PM »
What size is the sub? Given that you listen to metal, the 6x9s will give a crisper punch than a sub. Or have your tastes changed? I tried my twin 12" unported subs with metal today, couldnt keep up at all. =\

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:37PM »
What size is the sub? Given that you listen to metal, the 6x9s will give a crisper punch than a sub. Or have your tastes changed? I tried my twin 12" unported subs with metal today, couldnt keep up at all. =\

Thats exactly right. Subs are not that great with metal. i may fuck it off to some commy driver for $50, PROFIT YO. &&& put the 6x9s on channels 3 and 4.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:14PM »
10" unported do ok. Those 6-8" bazooka tubes are awesome though! Not as loud as a 12", but response is amazing

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2012, 10:15PM »
The fuck ?
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:23PM »
I don't listen to a huge amount of metal, but some every now and then. You can have it set up well with subs that will handle  it. I have 2 12" subs in a sealed box and it sounds quite good over a range of styles of music focusing more on rock/alternative.

With regards to subs, it's all in the enclosure. The box can make a shit sub sound awesome and an awesome sub sound shit.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:54PM »
Kranzy has the idea with setup. Or buy a mono.

As for subs not "keeping up" when playing metal, is well, bs, as is a 6x9 giving more punch than a sub, as are sub tubes.

The only time it may seem like it aint keeping up is when you've got it cranked to 11, and probably underpowered, so the cone and voice coil will be flapping away like grandmas tits in a soft breeze. Subs LOVE power, feed them and they will reproduce your low end as god intended - tight, crisp with enough punch to make your kidneys bleed. Generic ported boxes are fail, stick with a sealed job, then find an amp that will output double what your sub is rated at: 300rms rated sub, 600rms amp, just remember you can cut the gain back when you are over powered, when you are underpowered and max everything out on your pissy 100rms 2 channel, something has to give, whether its the amp clipping its ass off, or the sub it poling (whilst sounding like someone kicking an empty 44 gallon drum) its one or the other.

Atm, im running an MTX 12" rated at 300rms, im running a mono that pumps out about 650rms, with about 3/4 gain, then tuned to my ear, and it kicks along like a angry mule to Inflames, Machine Head, Opeth and like, but is subtle enough to make Fleetwood Mac sound how it should, and has been running like that for about 4 years.

In short, you can make a 15" be just as punchy and responsive as an 10", its all about the right box, the right amount of power and the right tuning.

Keep the sub, buy a monoblock amp. Job done

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan