Author Topic: NIssan Pintara & TRX Motor Please HELP!  (Read 4518 times)

Offline venn54

• antrx.com junior member
NIssan Pintara & TRX Motor Please HELP!
« on: Dec 2, 2009, 07:09PM »
i have 2 engine both KA24E's. one in TRX and the other was in a Pintara T. the one out of the pintara wasnt chipped or cold air induction or better extractors.. both looked to be stock engines. the TRX has the STG3 performance chip, cold air induction 2.5" exhuast. the other pintara had so much more power than the trx. wat modifications could have been made to the engine such as CAM shaft.. that would have made such a difference. and am i able to put it in the TRX's engine?
« Last Edit: Dec 2, 2009, 07:13PM by venn54 »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: NIssan Pintara & TRX Motor Please HELP!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 2, 2009, 07:24PM »
could simply be that the engine with more power was in better condition. otherwise internally, camshafts, headwork, bottom end work and high compression pistons, but i can gaurantee you 90% of people would be bothered spending the money doing it, hence my suggestion that the other unmodifed engine is just in better condition.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline venn54

« Reply #2 on: Dec 2, 2009, 07:43PM »
WOW this is gonna make me sound RLY stupid. but when u say head work. what sort of head work could have been done? yer it had done about 40k more km's and im pretty sure it was owned by a young fella that thrashed it.. and wats the best way to check if its got a better cam?
« Last Edit: Dec 2, 2009, 08:07PM by venn54 »

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #3 on: Dec 3, 2009, 12:32AM »
The Pintara engine could be a jap import. Apparently they have a slightly higher compression ratio, gives a bit more response; or it could have been taken care of better than the TRX since they were not the sports model but just the basic family car.

I swapped my engine from my Pintara T to a Jap KA24e and was initially dissapointed that with the same mods it was slower, until I realised the timing had been retarded heaps, its much faster now.
nothing.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Dec 3, 2009, 09:32AM »
The Pintara engine could be a jap import. Apparently they have a slightly higher compression ratio, gives a bit more response; or it could have been taken care of better than the TRX since they were not the sports model but just the basic family car.

I swapped my engine from my Pintara T to a Jap KA24e and was initially dissapointed that with the same mods it was slower, until I realised the timing had been retarded heaps, its much faster now.

It's placebo...It's not going to do much.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #5 on: Dec 3, 2009, 10:42AM »
It's placebo...It's not going to do much.

Granted, they are pretty much the same, not enough difference to feel between them when both engines are running well.

Also what I have found is that taking care of a engine does wonders for its power, it holds it better then one that hasn't been looked after.
nothing.

Offline venn54

« Reply #6 on: Dec 3, 2009, 01:40PM »
i see what u mean.. so theres a chance either the timing or it is a jap import. (refering to pintara motor) cuz srsly it was a freak of an engine before i removed it. reved out so hard and fast it wasnt believable for s SOHC haha

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #7 on: Dec 3, 2009, 09:37PM »
It can be a few things.

the car is lighter
the mechanicals are in much better condition
sensors are working like they should
exhaust setup (just because it has no exhaust "system" doesn't mean its shit, no leaks = win)

My car had a stg3 chip, and breathing mods, I only pulled a shit 66kw before my rebuild, I can tell you now it hammered after the build. Others in melb pulled 90 something. Yes ok it's a dyno, but 30kw is huge.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 4, 2009, 10:38AM »
jap import motors are identical to aus spec motors, ie it is false about them having higher compression.

Generally the motor that will have the highest compression test numbers will be the better one to start from.

Offline venn54

« Reply #9 on: Dec 4, 2009, 12:16PM »
if i was to do a complete rebuild. were would be the best place to go for high compression pistons and solid lifters and so forth.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Dec 4, 2009, 12:25PM »
Solid lifters = me

pistons = CP or Arias do a high comp sohc piston from memory.

Offline venn54

« Reply #11 on: Dec 4, 2009, 12:30PM »
how much a diff does the R4 cam make? i have a bit of engine knowledge im not a complete moron. but how hard would it be to change the cam in my KA-E to get it done?

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Dec 4, 2009, 01:04PM »
I can't tell you from experience as the cam i'm running is some 10 deg in duration or more smaller (262/264) but it really picks things up in the top end; you'd notice that around 5000rpm with a stock cam that the engine seems a bit short of breath and not overly willing to rev.

my 262/264 changed that significantly, wants to rev during a run to the fuel cut, when it was dyno'd some time ago it made peak power just over 6000rpm.

R4 i'd imagine shifts peak power a little higher, closer to 6400-6500.

Offline venn54

« Reply #13 on: Dec 4, 2009, 01:07PM »
how hard to install bak into the head are they?

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #14 on: Dec 4, 2009, 01:37PM »
quite easy to install.
Basically pull off rocker cover, undo the 16 or so bolts, lift off the bits holding the cam in, slip it off the timing chain then replace in reverse (making sure you dont over tighten the bolts and snap them in the head eh boys :P).  Care needs to be taken at the timing chain stage, but you can get more info on that if you do it.  Of course if you are doing a rebuild the timing chain wont be in the way anyway.

Offline venn54

« Reply #15 on: Dec 4, 2009, 01:53PM »
nar i might just keep the other engine as a back up. cuz its in rly good condition as a stock.. i might just do a few mods to the current engine IE. cam lol. does it rly make it sound like its running up the shit and fuked.. iv heard from others..

Offline venn54

« Reply #16 on: Dec 6, 2009, 11:32AM »
How much power do i lose on the lowend?