Author Topic: Gti-r turbo on a bluebird Atessa  (Read 63167 times)

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
Re: Gti-r turbo on a bluebird Atessa
« Reply #60 on: Dec 1, 2009, 08:05PM »
haha yeah its pretty much on 12 psi..but it spikes alot.
it runs really good though..hrrmm the car has no balls whatever so ever under 4000 rpm.i really  thought it would have more power from 3000 onwards.
Mods so far: 3" exhaust off the turbo, Fmic, HKS ssqv, D2 Fully adjustable coilovers, turbotech manual boost controller. running 12-13 psi

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #61 on: Dec 1, 2009, 08:55PM »
Are you sure it's a T25?
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #62 on: Dec 1, 2009, 09:18PM »
im not sure at all..lol i will try get a look tomorrow. the guy never mentioned having an aftermarket turbo on the car.
i will pay more attention to the boost tomorrow and see how long it takes to hit full boost...it definately over 3000 rpm though. the boost controller apparently was supposed to make hte turbo spool earlier aswell..but i didnt notice much of a difference..feels very very slow untill about 3500 then it pulls really hard :)
Mods so far: 3" exhaust off the turbo, Fmic, HKS ssqv, D2 Fully adjustable coilovers, turbotech manual boost controller. running 12-13 psi

Offline lMitAtiON

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #63 on: Dec 2, 2009, 05:43AM »
looks like a t25 sized turbo?

Did you get it registered with the coilovers?

Coilovers are illegal because your car has to retain 2/3rds of the original suspension travel. You just need an Engineers Cert to make them legal. Ive been defected with them before.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #64 on: Dec 2, 2009, 09:13AM »
That's almost definately the stock t25 (from the pictures). Full boost should be from 3000 or before!

Next thing is to check for intake and vacuume leaks. Also just make sure you put the boost controller in the right way (the barb opposite the bolt should connect to the intake pipework)
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #65 on: Dec 2, 2009, 10:36AM »
yeah boost controller is in the right way...im not completley retarded:p so there could be a leak somewhere maybe? could that be cause the 2-3 psi boost spiking aswell?

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #66 on: Dec 2, 2009, 11:27AM »
haha, i'm not trying to be a jerk - just double checking :D

lack of response could be a huge number of things... off the top of my head in no particular order:

bad exhaust flow
vacuum leaks
knock sensor playing up (retarded timing)
head->manifold or manifold->turbo gasket leak
small intake leak
poor pre-turbo air flow
wastegate not being held shut (actuator on the way out).

Welcome to the wonderful world of turbo cars :P It's very much a love-hate world! Just work through the possible causes one by one until you find the offender.

Most likely of the above would probably be a gasket leak or a wastegate issue imo.

« Last Edit: Dec 2, 2009, 11:29AM by JelloBello »
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #67 on: Dec 2, 2009, 12:20PM »
welli have no idea how to check those things to be honest:) ha.but it has the standard air box on the car..if i was too put a pod filter on it could that possibly make the car spool up any earlier? whats a decent pod filter to put on it?

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #68 on: Dec 2, 2009, 01:31PM »
A pod really isn't going to fix the problem unless the current air filter is in really bad shape. K&N pod filters are allways a safe bet :)

Now... I'm going to try and give you a basic idea of what to look for with these problems, keep in mind I'm definately not a machanic!

Gaskets:
With the gasket leaks it's normally quite obvious if you've had the car for a while as there is a noticable difference in exhaust noise, however since you just got the car this doesn't apply. Best way I can think of checking is to have the car running and use your hand to feel around the head->manifold and manifold->turbo joins, if the gaskets are leaking you'll be able to feel the exhaust gasses. Obviously to fix this replace the offending gaskets

Wastegate:
Wastegate is a bit tougher to check.... infact thinking about it I can't think of a way to check it properly in-car. What might be happening is that the spring in the actuator may be getting on and not holding the wastegate flap fully shut (the exhaust gasses are blowing it open under load). Normally the gate would remain shut until full boost is reached then open to allow gasses to bypass the exhaust turbine and sustain the desired boost level. If the flap isn't fully shut then gasses are bypassing it prematurely and increasing the time it takes top spin up to full boost. Anyway, point is since this only really happens under load it's a tough thing to test. I'm sure with the actuator out of the car you could measure the preload on it and see if it's within spec. If it is faulty it can be fixed by replacing with a new item or adding a spring to help hold the gate shut.

Vacuum and Intake leaks:
In your case I don't think these are likey culprits as they normally also come with backfiring, poor idle and exhaust smoke - so unless you're also experiencing these I would strike them off the list of possibilities.

Poor exhaust flow:
With turbo cars they love free flowing exhausts! If you still have the stock system I'd look at getting it replaced anyway. The most common problem with the exhaust from what I understand is a collapsed cat converter, when the exhaust gasses have nowhere to go then backpressure builds up and slows the rate as which the turbo spins upto speed. Best way to check this is to unbolt the cat and hold it up to the sky - you should be able to see through the honeycomb type mesh that's inside. If not look at getting a replacement, or if you don't mind polluting the enviroment and risking an apparant $10,000 dollar fine from the EPA just take a hammer and bash out the insides :D

Knock Sensor:
Now, the knock sensor is located on the firewall side of the engine underneath the intake manifold. It's job is to listen for any knocking (aka pre-detonation) which can be caused by excessive heat, poor fuel or a combination of a lot of other things. When it detects knock it retards the timing something cronic to save the pistons/engine. When the happens the car becomes extremely sluggish. Of course every now and then the sensor becomes faulty and reports false knocks. To check if this is happening the easiest thing to do is plug in a consult cable and retrieve the error codes from the ecu (this can also find other problems so is probably worth doing anyway). If it is faulty you can either replace it with a brand new one (common to many nissan engines) or replace it with a million ohm resistor to trick the ecu :)

It's tough trying to diagnose and fix over the interwebz :P

Also wow, that was more prologned then I intended.

13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #69 on: Dec 2, 2009, 02:11PM »
cheers mate..i will have to check out some of those things later on:)
also it has a 3" exhaust from the turbo on it so i dont think it would be the exhaust:)
i just uploaded some  videos on youtube. i will post the links :) the is a video of the boost gauge showing the spiking..but i cut the video short by accident..driving while filming with a phone isnt the best idea lol

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast

Offline lMitAtiON

« Reply #71 on: Dec 2, 2009, 03:44PM »
i cant see a boost gauge?

GET rid of that BOV lol i hate them

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #72 on: Dec 2, 2009, 04:46PM »
the 2nd link shows the boost gauge..and yep im already annoyed with the bov..haha im looking for a stock one.. but im broke atm anyways..not getting any shifts lol ..anyways..yeah the car feels slow untill it hits around 4000 rpm..gettin on my nerves now..lol im going to wind down the boost to around 11-12 psi
till i get it checked out

Offline lMitAtiON

« Reply #73 on: Dec 2, 2009, 07:43PM »
2nd link just says an error has occurred? the rest work for me.

Definitely wind the boost down.

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #74 on: Dec 2, 2009, 08:09PM »
works when i click it:S..weird..anyways it shows the car going just over 15psi then back down to 12-13psi.. yeah i will wind it down tomorrow..might go for one more drive tonight with the boost how it is..its just too much fun lol..except its eating my petrol.. gone throgh $50 petrol in 250 kms..lol is this normal for a bluey? although i have beeen putting my foot down testing the boost..so i gues its my own fault

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #75 on: Dec 3, 2009, 05:25PM »
so i found out something today..my car doesnt have abs brakes..haha in the wet it feels like its on ice and barely putting my foot on the brake it will slide out. and just going around a corner the tyres will slide out..do i just have shit tyres or is this normal?
i currently have the stock wheels on my car.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #76 on: Dec 3, 2009, 07:23PM »
I can see the ABS unit in one of the pictures you posted, so the hardware is there! Sounds more like crap tyre to me.

Also ABS will do very little when going sideways, trying driving in a straight line and plant the brakes, the brake pedal should shudder - just keep it mashed to the floor.

If it shudders that's the ABS, if your tyres lock up then something is wrong :(
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #77 on: Dec 3, 2009, 07:33PM »
yeah i thought i seen the abs system ..but i was in a straight line when i put my foot on the brake..and it slid for about 15 metres:S
also another time just to see if it would do it agian i pushed my foot harder on the brake and it did again.
and it wasnt alll that wet..it was like a light rain.
hrrmm..is there any reason why it wouldnt be working?
i feel really unsafe in the wet in this thing now lol..feels like driving on ice. i think my next mod is going to be 17" wheels with some decent tyres lol

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #78 on: Dec 3, 2009, 08:53PM »
oh and another thing i noticed..my indictators dont go off on there own..which gets annoying. im assuming thats also not normal lol

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #79 on: Dec 3, 2009, 09:16PM »
first off, what kind of tyres??? AWD's are temperamental with tyres so you should be looking at bridgestones or michelins for decent grip.

second, check your abs fuse and relay, if either of these are stuffed then it wont work. and if there is air in the system it wont work either. other than that the abs is stuffed. but test it in the dry for a definite answer.

third, wind your boost down to 7psi and if it is still coming to full boost at 4000rpm then there is a problem in the intake or exhaust track somewhere, but more likely intake after the turbo i would think

good luck with it

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #80 on: Dec 3, 2009, 09:28PM »
Blinkers are easy to fix, pull your steering wheel off, behind it there is a white disc thing with 2 little pins that line up with holes on the steering wheel, pull it forward, line it up and put the wheel back on.
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #81 on: Dec 3, 2009, 09:42PM »
i will check what tyres they are tomorrow..whatever they are there shit haha.
i will wind the boost all the way down and test it out tomorrow..after i put even more bloody petrol in it. haha.
and i will have a go at getting the steering wheel off etc. tomorrow aswell:) doesnt sound too hard. thanks heaps!!

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #82 on: Dec 5, 2009, 11:00PM »
as for ya abs i find mine does jack all in the wet everything just locks up, but works fine in the dry. Also if u clutch when u slam on the brakes the abs doesnt work (or atleast on my car it doesnt). Thats just wat ive found on my attesa during the testing of stuff.
"Noss is God"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #83 on: Dec 6, 2009, 08:44AM »
Your ABS is not working properly mate.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #84 on: Dec 8, 2009, 02:29PM »
i swear my car feels down on power..but its hitting the same psi as it was when it felt faster...am i just used to the power now or what? lol hrmmm i need more!!

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #85 on: Dec 8, 2009, 05:07PM »
Your getting used to it, it always happens.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #86 on: Dec 8, 2009, 05:35PM »
It's so true :(

My t28bb is getting a bit boring for me. gt3071r is on the list :D
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #87 on: Dec 8, 2009, 07:00PM »
well u can donate ur t28bb to me ;) haha
mm i need to find another job..im craving more power..i know its just in my mind..but it just feels slow to me now:(

Offline S1NN3R

• antrx.com full member
  • my beast
« Reply #88 on: Dec 8, 2009, 07:45PM »
oh yeah..i also noticed that even hitting around 13-14psi around 4000-5000 rpm it seems to hit fuel cut or something..doesnt sound to good. should i be looking at getting a better fuel pump?
also what is detonating exactly?

Offline lgee

• post whore
  • Attesa Racer
    • WheelTech Racing
« Reply #89 on: Dec 9, 2009, 05:38AM »
it is your engine self destructing, something that is very expensive to fix, its when your air /fuel ratio is too lean in the cylinder and it self ignits from the heat early before its fully compressed, trying to force the piston back downwhile it is still on it way up, the copression of this already exploded mixture increases the teprature to the point where it starts to melt stuff at the flash point of the the flame travel path. here are some example from my car.