Author Topic: The Cricket Thread  (Read 4634 times)

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
  • Nothing a 50round burst won't fix
    • My Site
The Cricket Thread
« on: Nov 20, 2005, 01:50AM »
Who here follows the cricket. 

Well the test so far isn't much of a game, oh well.  Was great to see Huss get a ton, am a really big fan.

Anyways, discuss all the summer cricket here.  We have South Africa touring after WI.

Offline bigpud2012

• "I drive a pissweak auto"
  • post whore
    • RSI - Adelade Sports Imagery - Clipsal 500 Classic Adelaide etc
Re: The Cricket Thread
« Reply #1 on: Nov 20, 2005, 10:58AM »
This game will be over by tea break today!!!

up the AUSSIES!!!

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
    • My Site
« Reply #2 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:11AM »
yeah i think so aswell.  im not enjoying watching it while we are in the field, just no excitement. seems to be taking wickets just far to easily.

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2005, 10:56PM »
Some of the dissmisals from the Windies are poor the way there just getting out is...well SOFT!. But the hundred odd partnership today was good but they need to be doing that all the time and its just not happening for them. Yes good to see Hussey getting 100 mind you his selection into the team was way overdue. I wonder if Clarke is going to be dropped for the third test my bet is he will.
u12 sr20

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:11PM »
looks like i was wrong  :-[

but im sure this will be wrapped up very easily tomorrow morning!

Offline bondy

• antrx.com senior member
  • the bond
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:19PM »
Yes good to see Hussey getting 100 mind you his selection into the team was way overdue. I wonder if Clarke is going to be dropped for the third test my bet is he will.
yeh my thoughts exactly, i'd be pretty disappointed to see clarke dropped, but yeh if he cant lift his game then he is gonna follow in katich's footsteps, especially with hussey doing well, hodge. i havent been able to watch much of this test - pretty lame seing that its at bellerive and all - so i'm a bit out of the loop, can someone tell me when langer is expected to return?

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:41PM »
He will definitely be playing SA. He might play in the third test but i doubt it but who knows he could be taking Clarke's spot. He was on a interview and he said he was exercising again so  :-\.
u12 sr20

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:46PM »
Ill be there in FORCE @ ADELAIDE OVAL!!!! 8)

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:48PM »
haha nice. with a few beers too im presume :). Its a shame WA never gets to hosts international matches :(. Even QLD get more and they get bugger all croud. end rant .
u12 sr20

Offline bondy

• the bond
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2005, 12:00AM »
thanks for that, but :( i'd be sad if thats the way it happens but i spose if theres someone else who deserves to be in the side i'll get over it. fond memories of clarkes debut against india. and yeh hes a bit of a spunk too, but thats a bit off topic lol

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2005, 12:29PM »
Trouble is, like many Australian sportsmen, Clarke I think began to believe and bow to the pressure that our stupid media places on them. He was a fantastic batsmen who could have been every bit as good as Mark Waugh (similar style) but for some reason, he just can't click at the moment.

Hussey is impressive and so was Hodge, I think he was very hard done by.

Than again Ian(?) Chappel has 6 ducks in a ROW and then broke that trot by scoring a double Century! but he already had the runs on the board...as they say.

The reason the don't play at the WACA is that it finds so many batsmen, especially those from the sub continent, out! They just can't handle the bounce and we wouldn't want to offend the little sunburnt poms by having them face Lee and Tait on a pitch that bounces!

Been an interesting series, the Windies are still my favourite team and I think if they can just pick up their batting, the bowlers are quite good. Collymore is tight and Edwards is FAST!

What really, REALLY irks me is the way the umpires are all over the place, the decisions are just poor, both for and against Australia, we saw Darr and Koertzen screw the ashes, disgustingly and now we have seen crook decisions again

Cheers,
Brendan

PS:As you can tell I am an absolute cricket tragic ;D

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
    • My Site
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2005, 05:22PM »
well i thought the game would be over by tea yesterday, but oh well...

I agree that the umpires are a bit inconsistent.

That edwards is sharpish, but that stupid waving his hand in front of his face after he takes a wicket is annoying, should just concentrate on getting better.

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2005, 06:26PM »
Yea edwards is fast but that doesnt get you wickets. Consistency is what gets you wickets as a bowler eg: Glen Mc Grath he can bowl what he wants where he wants he plots to get batsmen out and he only bowl 130km on average. Edwards just doesnt have that' hes way to loose and get carted around the place especially on pitches that are soft and slow. True the WACCA does have a hard pitch but thats a advantage for both sides so i dont see why it should make a difference. Yea and the umpires! haha its like there just the third umpires now' and the caught and bowled desicion in the England and Pakistan match was stupid i mean they go to the third umpire so often but they didnt for that i mean c'mon.
u12 sr20

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
    • My Site
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2005, 07:45PM »
Its a shame WA never gets to hosts international matches :(. Even QLD get more and they get bugger all croud. end rant .

The WACA is hosting the first test against South Africa, and 2 vb series matches

Offline bondy

• the bond
« Reply #14 on: Nov 21, 2005, 11:18PM »
sad today, but yeh, i just hope clarke goes well for nsw and gets selected again, i dont think it should be the end of it for him. maybe this will be what he needs to concentrate on his game and get back into form. but anyway, like i said, there are other players that definately deserve a go.

i reckon in a year or two the windies will be a pretty good side, they have lots of young players, so yeh, a bit of experience will work wonders for them

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
    • My Site
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:30AM »
the day the windies get rid of chanderpaul as captain and or drop him is the day they will be a better team

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #16 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:43AM »
I think the biggest trouble with the windies captain is that no one wants to step up to the challenge. Be it due to money or just the sides lack of form the last 8 or so years. It's a pity as they have had some amazing player over the years and have a huge cricketing heritage.

Also, going back to something said earlier and I know I will get flamed for this, but I honestly just don't think McGrath is as good as he is made out. He is very accurate, no doubt, but it is to the point of being predictable when you have a player with the guys to step down the wicket he can be put off his legnth easily, but people seem to believe in the great McGrath aura. Just look when he comes back for a second spell in One Day, he gets tonked almost everytime.

For my mind, pace is the best thing you can have. I would much prefer two Lee's in a side than two McGraths. Tait looks to be promising, sure he is wayward, but he is fast and young and willing to learn. He may bowl 5 balls all over the shop but he bowls that sixth one that is near unplayable and will take a wicket. We wouldn't bleed so many runs from Lee and to a lesser extent Tait if we just had a third man!

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #17 on: Nov 22, 2005, 10:18PM »
McGrath is as good as he is made out

FINALLY someone agrees with me, i have met him personally through cricket and hes a knob x100

also play at same Club as Tait and ill tell you what hes is FRKN QUICK and one i dont like facing in the nets!!

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #18 on: Nov 22, 2005, 11:21PM »
Bugger that for a joke. Nets are a very small place and it's hard to escape an angry quick ;D

I had a mate who used to play first grade for Bankstown when Thommo played for them and he said when he was fielding at longstop the keeper used to almost stand next to him he was that quick! lol.

Now Thommo, there is a bowler so fast that Amos (the pommie opener) used to vomit from fear before he went out and faced him!!!

Offline B4

• antrx.com full member
    • My Site
« Reply #19 on: Nov 22, 2005, 11:27PM »
Mick Miller used to play For Qld then Sa, he played club cricket here after an injury and he was deceptivly quick, not Tait quick but still quick.

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Nov 24, 2005, 09:38PM »
Yea i agree that Mc Grath can be predictable matter of fact he is. for eg: he had to cover his bowling hand when he was bowling to England (i think it was England) because they could see the angle of the seam and know which way he was going to swing the ball etc he also balls the same length and line often but he does this purposely. And you cant deny the stats either so whatever he is doing is working. I have been a pace bowler for many years now since i was a little kid and Glen is one of a kind there will be no other bowler like him in his class. Yea ive met him hes a grumpy guy haha he didnt even give my little brother a autograph still i love him cause he can bowl. Tait and Lee are quick but seriously a batsmen with a good technique can face pace easily swing,cut,variation is what troubles a batsmen. If a batsmen is in form and is facing pace and the ball isnt swinging,cutting bouncing etc just coming onto the bat he can confidently do what he wants given he selects the right shot haha. Taits action makes me puke haha horrible action' lucky hes got some strength otherwise he wouldnt be able to last long as a bowler. Lee had problems bowling pace early in his career hes had to correct his action and is now bowling alot better but when a bowler like Glen can bowl where he wants and when' you can basically plan to get a batsmen out! (spinners do this too). Thats why glen bowls short of a length to confuse the batsmen to play either forward or back. Watch him bowl sometimes hell ball two off cutters short of a length on off stump then bowl in the exact same area but a leg cutter drawing the batsmen forward and with luck get a edge. On TV he may look boring compared to a exciting 150kmh bowler like Lee and Tait but hes got what it needs to take wickets and restrict runs.
u12 sr20

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2005, 10:58PM »
That's true BUT in comparison to the GREAT bowlers he is easily a rung below.

By the greats I mean (in no particular order): Ray Lindwall, Dennis Lillee and Richard Hadlee.

They had pace like Tait but also both the accuracy and movement that surpasses what McGrath has.

McGrath is a good bowler and in the context of the Modern Era a great BUT he is not a great all time pace bowler (Hell, he isn't and never was a fast bowler) Even in comparison to Craig McDermott (who is one of the most under rated bowlers ever) he isn't the only accurate bowler of modern times.

He does have very good figures, but in that time who has he been bowling with? Gillespie (who has struggled since the broken leg)? Half Volley Kasprovich. Great in Shield but can't step up? Muller... Bichel, who was and is also a very consistent bowler but by no means a great.

There is no way a pedestrian medium pacer should ever be given a new shiny! Simple as that

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2005, 11:01PM »
This is a new post, because the guy who it's about deserves to be alone.

If you want a Medium Pacer who can move the ball boths ways, through the air and off the seam as well as having accuracy as marksmen would be proud of, then hail the Queenslander: Adam Dale.

He was an amazing bowler, who, if hadn't run into shoulder trouble could have become anything. EVERY time he bowled with McGrath (ODI Opener) his figures were FAR more frugal than McGrath and he should have had the opportunity at test level.

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Nov 24, 2005, 11:07PM »
Well guys im going to be there tomorrow, and personally cant wait!!!!

its goign to be a top day lets jsut hope it doesnt rain!!!!

We better bat first!

Offline bondy

• the bond
« Reply #24 on: Nov 25, 2005, 11:04PM »
hope the weaher holds out for it  :)

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #25 on: Nov 25, 2005, 11:18PM »
oh hell what a day at the cricket!!!!!!

LARA you little RIPPER, a double century  ;D

oh and my idol - big Andrew "roy" Symonds!! going nuts in the field. but what a day of cricket!

nice weather to start out with, was warm and i got burnt  :( but the rain held out altough it was kinda windy!!!

overall a great day!!!

Offline bondy

• the bond
« Reply #26 on: Nov 25, 2005, 11:55PM »
i havent seen any of it, been working  >:(

its great that lara got a double century, well overdue, hes been on a pretty dry run lately

you going back to watch any more or do you have to work and stuff?

Offline KeGs

• Nissan addict
  • post whore
« Reply #27 on: Nov 26, 2005, 07:04PM »
Laras 2 ton was great and the windies have finally posted a good score :) should be a interesting test match now :). Good to see Langer back and in form.
u12 sr20

Offline FalconGuy

• new kid on the block
« Reply #28 on: Dec 9, 2005, 07:28AM »
Interesting to see that the Windies have loded official complaints against the standard of Umpiring during the last series, I believe they are well within their rights. Bowden and Koertzen have to go, they shouldn't even umpire club games.

They didn't help us one bit in the Ashes and who knows what they deprived the Windies of here when Lara was wrongly given out those times???

Offline bigpud2012

• post whore
« Reply #29 on: Dec 15, 2005, 10:28PM »
BRING ON THE SOUTH AFRICIANS this FRIDAY!!!