Author Topic: Who has ADSL?? Who u with? Good or bad?  (Read 11296 times)

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
Who has ADSL?? Who u with? Good or bad?
« on: Mar 26, 2004, 10:51AM »
Looking at getting ADSL, best plan I've found so far is with Ozemail.

Free connection, $64.95month (12months), unlimited d/l, 512K connection. BUT, dynamic IP. 

Any better plans out there?  There's a heap of other companies that have pretty competitive plans, but dunno about their service.

can anyone recommend anything?
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline bungs

• post whore
Re: Who has ADSL?? Who u with? Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:00AM »
Just like to point out, it's not really unlimited, it's 12Gb then afterwards you get 'shaped' (capped) in peak times.

Head over to http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-search-head.cfm search for ozemail to see what others think of them.

As for it being a dynamic ip, it's not really that bad unless you plan on running your own email server or something along those lines.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:06AM »
we just got telstra bigpond adsl home wireless (i shouldnt really put telstra in there as there not owned by them apparently >:() you can have a few computers hooked up and no cables. 

but i wouldnt reccomend bigpond at all, there customer service is horrible, not just because it takes an average 30minutes to get through to a so called technician but because the techicians dont know what there talking about, and the installation disc that came with it had several flaws.  i had to figure it all out because they couldnt help, and then they begged me to tell them how to fix it ::) but i didnt(why should i help them if they are fucking us around so much)

we ended up having to get a replacement modem as the original ones default/reset button was fucked because it had to be pressed so many times, they wanted us to pay for it. but we didnt in the end.  and one day a telstra technician had to come to the house, and he explained that bigpond wasnt owned by telstra (hence the breakdown in communication), and that the technicians are yet to be trained properly with the wireless setup. 

they are fucking pathetic.  >:( :-\

sorry for the long post.  as far as reccomendations i was extremely happy with iprimus when we had dialup, never had a problem, and id imagine there broadband would be the same.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #3 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:07AM »
I love ADSL. Since its widespread introduction my dial-up has increased 3-fold and I regularly get a sustained 15-20kb/s in Kazaa and WinMX. It's great!!
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #4 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:11AM »
Yeh, wouldn't mind hosting FTP and some remote access software. That's why a static IP would be cool. from what i've been reading ozemail is cool, just wondering what plans some of you guys are on.  12gig's pretty good, after that, it's only slowed during peak times (5pm - 8pm) etc.  So, sounds like a good deal, especially at that price.
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline Insu

• closet noss lover
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Its time to laugh again!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:12AM »
I've got Optus cable, $44.95 a month and I have a 3 gig download before I get capped at 28.8k modem speeds, but I also get 40 free local calls on my home phone or something?
Previously known as Audio Muncher

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:25AM »
Well i've got netspace 256/64 adsl.. Basically i get everything from PIPE with no cap or limits. For the 10 months i've had adsl, i've averaged around 50gig a month. Which is pretty good considering the maximum you can download on 256 in a month is around 65gig. (downloading 24/7)

I'm a big fan of movies and tv episodes so that's what i download. And the odd game here and there. I would be getting the max 65gig a month, but 1) I play a few games online on the weekend so I can't download during that time as the lag is shithouse :P, and 2) some of my other family use the internet sometimes so I can't leech at full speed when they're on it.

Once I get a job i'll be upgrading to 512/128. (got an interview Monday so hopefully something will come out of it)

256/64 with 4gig metered and unmetered pipe data is 50 clams a month.

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #7 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:32AM »
Well i've got netspace 256/64 adsl.. Basically i get everything from PIPE with no cap or limits. For the 10 months i've had adsl, i've averaged around 50gig a month. Which is pretty good considering the maximum you can download on 256 in a month is around 65gig. (downloading 24/7)

I'm a big fan of movies and tv episodes so that's what i download. And the odd game here and there. I would be getting the max 65gig a month, but 1) I play a few games online on the weekend so I can't download during that time as the lag is sh*thouse :P, and 2) some of my other family use the internet sometimes so I can't leech at full speed when they're on it.

Once I get a job i'll be upgrading to 512/128. (got an interview Monday so hopefully something will come out of it)

256/64 with 4gig metered and unmetered pipe data is 50 clams a month.

just out of interest what kind of speed would you normally get downloading a movie or game? Not that I do that kind of thing. :P
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty
    • Antrx
« Reply #8 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:36AM »
CorsairGhia, how much do you pay per month? I need to upgrade from my old and withered 56k connection.

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Mar 26, 2004, 11:42AM »
$
CorsairGhia, how much do you pay per month? I need to upgrade from my old and withered 56k connection.

$50 bucks. :)

just out of interest what kind of speed would you normally get downloading a movie or game? Not that I do that kind of thing. :P

in an hour it downloads 95meg, most movies are 700meg*, so around 7 1/2 hrs. With 512/128, it's half that time. So basically i download at ~27Kb/s

These movies are of course dvd quality movies trailers that all happen to be 700MB.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Mar 26, 2004, 12:29PM »
thats about the speed i get when downloading (27k) someone told me that was shithouse, is it?

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #11 on: Mar 26, 2004, 12:31PM »
CorsairGhia, is this the deal you have:

Home Supa 256
This package is perfect for the casual Internet user: use email, do some internet browsing and download without worrying about your limits. This is similar to what you would use a standard dial-up connection for, with the extra speed and convenience of having a permanent connection.

Home Supa 256 assures:Flat-Rate Monthly fee
256k/64k speed
4GB monthly download allowance
No excess usage costs
The whole range of Netspace extras
You’ll experience the thrill of the pace!

from netspace.net.au

Browny_r31

« Reply #12 on: Mar 26, 2004, 12:45PM »
my hosue is currently getting adsl installe.d having a home business means i have unlimited adsl (well limited but alot of gigs worth) for next to nothing.

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #13 on: Mar 26, 2004, 01:17PM »
i will be getting swiftdsl soon. after much exhaustive researching and fact and opinion finding. the price is right! and so is the service.
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:15PM »
yup that's the one evenflow. And since you're in melb, you get uncapped/unlimited access to the vic DC++ hub: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=149219 and also to the pipe news server at news.melbourne.pipenetworks.c om

Unless you want 'unlimited' adsl, go with TPG for $50 a month.. Not sure how it is over in Melbourne, but my mate has it here in Adelaide, and gets disconnected every two hours. He counts down every month and cant wait to be out of contract (10 more months)

But i really don't know, go over to whirlpool.net.au and see what plan tickles your pickle :)

Oh, and even if you go past the 4 gig limit with netspace, the free downloads are still full speed :)

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #15 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:17PM »
i will be getting swiftdsl soon. after much exhaustive researching and fact and opinion finding. the price is right! and so is the service.

yup they look very good. Too bad it's not here in Adelaide :(

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #16 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:19PM »
tpg have the worst service in the history of anything bar telstra!
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline Urq!

• sdrawkcab siht daer
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • I wonder if anyone reads these things.
    • My car
« Reply #17 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:22PM »
i have also not heard good things about TPG.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:33PM »
i'd just like to reinforce that tpg = crap

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #19 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:40PM »
So the rumours are true, TPG is shithouse not only in Adelaide but nationwide.

* CorsairGhia pats netspace dsl

another isp that i've only heard good things about is Internode- they're worth a look

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #20 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:43PM »
i was only with tpg for dialup. but still.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
    • Antrx
« Reply #21 on: Mar 26, 2004, 02:53PM »
http://www.swiftdsl.com.au/residential/adsl-plans-prices.htm
Which plan imaspy?

I was thinking:

256/64 kbitsps
AA.3: 256/64/4GB + 4GB $49.00 4 gbytes 4 gbytes $0.005 Free $140.00 6 Months Fixed

But I noticed you get charged 5 cents if you go over the limit? Whereas with netspace you don't get charged...is that right?

Kirby

« Reply #22 on: Mar 26, 2004, 03:00PM »
I've been with internode for a fairly long time now.
im currently on 512/128 and 12gb a month.
paying 79.95 per month, but the cap will raise to 32gb apparently soon.
And out of all the service providers i've had to deal with internode is the best.
fast, efficient and friendly. And i've never had any down time that wasnt my fault (damn wacky phone lines).

so if your still lookin around, check out internode, they have a good thing goin on.

-kirby

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #23 on: Mar 26, 2004, 04:13PM »
paying 79.95 per month, but the cap will raise to 32gb apparently soon.

it's been like that for about 2 weeks now.

porretta

« Reply #24 on: Mar 26, 2004, 04:29PM »
im with telstra cable broadband

unlimited download
$52 i think
i downloaded a small program (2mb) - took 4 secs kb/sec was 431, 523 and 600

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #25 on: Mar 26, 2004, 05:21PM »
im with telstra cable broadband
unlimited download

it's not 'unlimited' in the true sense. You get capped at dialup speeds after 12gig. Sure you can download fast, but you can't download a lot.

But, if you know that you won't go over 12gig, then it's a good plan :)

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2004, 05:25PM »
telstra gets capped at 10gig, well thats what it is with adsl, im sure cable would be the same

porretta

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2004, 05:52PM »
yeh we sure wouldnt go over 12 gig

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2004, 06:19PM »
ahh 10 gig.. yeah all these adsl/cable plans get confusing sometimes.. There's too many of them :)

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2004, 08:41PM »
I'm on the el-cheapo DART plan.

$48 per month, 256/64k.
5GB download limit, once you go over that your shaped to 64k (about 8kilobytes per sec).

Free data between all DART users nation wide.  The DART DC++ hub is growing constantly :D.  I get most of my stuff from there.

PIPE is also free, but its not yet active in Melb/Tassie (they share the same connect backbone).

The usage meter has not worked properly since I got ADSL last month so my usage for this months say 8.61kb when i've downloaded about 5GB.  hehe
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist