Author Topic: Loud tapping sound coming from engine, runs like S#@T, half engine power CA20  (Read 3439 times)

Offline Jay1990corsair

• antrx.com junior member
Yeah i'm hoping that its a broken rocker or something, i havn't been able 2 check being night and all...anyway is it a problem in the head or block, i think that maybe i should just F**k this engine off and grab one from a wreck or something, i dunno, i hope someone has had this problem and can tell me what it is...  :)
so...my car is pretty dirty...

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
It might be your exhaust manifold, try tightening the bolts.

My old car had a loud tapping with hardly any power, felt like it was running on 2 or 3 cylinders. Was gonna chuck it away as well, but all that was happening was the exhaust gas was escaping between the manifold and the head, tightened it up and it fixed the problem.
nothing.

Offline Jay1990corsair

yeah checked it it and its not the manifold, the car's timing seems way out aswell, it wont idle,

Offline sxtacy

• antrx.com senior member
Has the distributor been moved?

As far as the tapping sound goes, is it like when you have little oil in the engine, the tappets get really loud?

I hope someone else can help you, I remember I chucked my old car to the wrecker when this happened (and it wasn't the manifold this time) I was driving along, and then it started a loud tapping sound, very loud, got louder when I tried to drive it.

It sounds like it could be the tappets. An engine knock sounds very different.
nothing.

Offline Jay1990corsair

Yeah its not just an engine knock, i've heard people saying all different things it could be, like spun cam bearings or spun rod bearings, broken valve, slipped piston ring...everything man, maybe i should rip another CA20e out of a pinny or corsair, yeah i dunno ay, its just a really loud engine knock, sounds as if its coming from the block because you can hear it really loud inside the car and you can hear it down the street lol. and when u crank the starter motor its sounds as if it cranks really slow like the battery is exhausted (but its not...) yeah its pretty frustrating since i have rego coming up this week ay.

Offline BAM169

my engine sounded like that when the timing was out. rattled in top end due to incorrect firing. Has the engined kicked badley at all? this will cause the timing belt to go loose and jump a tooth on the crank gear. Remove the rocker cover and get engine on TDC then check to see if the cam gear timing mark is lining up correctly, this should be at 12 o'clock.

I also just gave mine a service, put in some 20w 50w castrol gtx2 and noises have gone.

Offline wombat

• antrx.com junkie
  • Sleep... What's that?
CA20 is belt, not chain.
I'm so far behind at work, I'm almost retro!

Offline Jay1990corsair

yeah i just had my mechanic come out and look at it and he checked all the timing belt and all that and he said its something (i cant remember exactly what he said) to do with a broken piston conrod, yeah i was able to check today, and the car is blowing alot of smoke  n stuff so looks like a new engine for me... :(

Offline Jay1990corsair

found problem...ages ago...lol and i fixed it....was a blown head gasket bang through right between piston 3 and 4....yeah u should see the nice burnt hole through the gasket lol at least it was and easy fix....owning a ca20e...u should learn 2 do head gaskets very quickly damn pistons being too close together and a poorly flowing head lol