Author Topic: inconsistent missfire ka24e  (Read 4421 times)

Offline BAM169

• antrx.com junior member
inconsistent missfire ka24e
« on: Feb 15, 2009, 08:25AM »
 hi people, i have a 1990 u12 pintara 2.4 litre 5 speed. problem started when the starter motor died, i replaced the starter to find that the engine now has a missfire. it misses at idle and around 2500rpm, but it will clear when you increase the revs. i have replace the plugs, leads, rotor button, dizzy cap, fuel filter and still have this inconsistent missfire. im starting to run out of paitence with this issue.

BAM169.

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
Re: inconsistent missfire ka24e
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2009, 12:52PM »
When it started misfiring on my U13, I did a diagnostic. Not sure if you can do that. If you could, that's the way to go instead of making guesses. It starts getting expensive.

As for me, I've cleaned my camshaft position sensor in my dizzy with a electrical cleaner, replaced the oring and seal the whole dizzy with silicon (around the gap between dizzy cap and dizzy) to prevent any more oil from getting in. It works for me.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2009, 01:37PM »
Checked and made sure ALL of your grounds are clean and bolted up ok?

Offline BAM169

« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:29PM »
hi guys, i have checked and cleaned all earth straps and cleaned the dizzy as per the suggestions but nothing has worked.
i have noticed that when you give it a good rev then back off and rev it again it sounds like it is running out of fuel, acting like a carby feed engine. if you hold throttle open when it starts to die it will pick up revs again like it should, would this be a possible issue with the fuel pump?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:31PM »
Where are you located?

If you can do a diagnostics that would tell us a lot.

If your in the gold coast/brisbane area i can have a look with the consult cable and software.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline BAM169

« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:39PM »
Hi Kranzy, I'm located in the Newcastle area mate. does the u12 have a error code list? and where abouts is the diagnostic connection and do you need laptop with software?

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #6 on: Feb 16, 2009, 05:53PM »
If you download the FSM from this site there is a diagnostic section you can read how to do a error code check by jumping some connectors in the consult port and reading the ecm flashes on the dash. There is also a list of the error code readouts and what could be the cause/fix for them.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #7 on: Feb 16, 2009, 07:22PM »
I'm putting my money on a vacuum hose fallen off or a maf/tps connector being dirty.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline BAM169

« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2009, 11:29AM »
ok people here is the lastest updated. all vacum hoses are connected and all wiring connections have been disconnected and cleaned. now listen to this. i took for a drive around block to see what it would do. get the engine around 2000rpm and the engine is rattling it head off, like something is broken or pinging very badley. i have repair manual coming in a couple days but it sounds like an internal issue.

Offline Habibosaurus

• YouTube King
  • Global Moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2009, 03:29PM »
Sounds like the timing chain, replace before it does some serious damage.
Ill fight you. May even throw a bar of soap your way. Maybe a few wax strips and some clip on brembo brake calipers for your fooly sic civic.

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #10 on: Feb 22, 2009, 09:28PM »
i took for a drive around block to see what it would do. get the engine around 2000rpm and the engine is rattling it head off, like something is broken or pinging very badley.

Yeah, that might be a timing chain problem.
How many Ks on the car?
Has the timing chain been done?
Have you used a wrong grade of engine oil?

Hope it's not timing chain or it'll probably cost a bit to fix.

Offline BAM169

« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2009, 06:28PM »
ok i have just changed to distributer to one that i know was working fine in another engine, the old dizzy had a very tight shaft. the replacement dizzy's shaft felt nice and loose, but still have the same inconsistent missfire :(.
 i can understand the timing chain rattling and the oil needing to bit replaced but how will this cause the missfire? i have the repair manual now so will bury my head in that and hopefully have an answer.

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2009, 08:16PM »
Yeah, get an error code off the car and we'll troubleshoot from there. Should be in the electrical section.  :)

Offline BAM169

« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2009, 04:27PM »
 OK THIS IS WHAT I HAVE COME UP WITH. READ THE BLOODY BOOK AND HAVE DONE THE FOLLOWING.

CHECK TO SEE IF THE TIMING WAS OUT BY CHECKING ALL TIMING MARKS, EVERYTHING OK.

DONE SELF DIAGNOSTIC CHECK AND GOT ERROR CODE 41. AIR TEMP SENSOR

CHECKED VOLTAGE AT ECU TERMINAL 26 AND GOT 4.36 VOLTS

TESTED AIR TEMP SENSOR CONNECTOR AT TERMINAL B AND GOT 4.36 VOLTS.

TESTED CONTINUITY AT AIR TEMP SENSOR AND GOT 1.9K/OHMS. BOOK STATES 2.1-2.9 K/OHMS

IF ANYONE HAS HAD THIS TYPE OF SENSOR DIE BEFORE DOES THIS CAUSE THE ENGINE TO MISSFIRE
 OR DOES IT PASS THE PROBLEM ONTO OTHER COMPONENTS.

Offline wicked

• U13
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2009, 08:05AM »
Honestly, I'm not quite sure what "air temp sensor" means. I've looked up my U13 manual, there is "Mass air flow sensor", "Oxygen sensor", "EGR temperature sensor", "Coolant temp sensor" etc

Step 1
From what I can gather from your last post, assuming "Terminal 26" is inside your car (close to ECU), having 4.36V inside your car and 4.36 on the "air temp sensor" means that wiring is intact. Get a electrical contact cleaner from Jaycar (preb one with oil so that after cleaning, connector's contact dol not oxidise), give the connector a good clean. Do it for the rest of the connectors in the engine bay too. It should be part of maintenance anyway.

Step 2
Also, if the "Air temp sensor" is not within specs (assuming you measured it correctly), you should replace it anyway.

Step 3
Recap what you've touched or mod before problem occurs.

Step 4
If problem still persists, you may have other problems. Read the manual (assuming it's similar to my U13 one) "Hesitation when engine is hot" under EC section. Do a couple more diagnostics. 

Is no one on the forum anymore? Anyone with suggestions, please add.  ::)

Offline BAM169

« Reply #15 on: Mar 15, 2009, 04:23PM »
its alive.... muhhaaaahhhhaaaa.

soz people its been a long time since this car was running.

first of all i want to thank every one who gave their time to give me ideas on how to fix the problem.

the problem ended up being that the timing chain had jumped a tooth or maybe 2 when the starter motor died. I know this sounds sort of weird but i did happen. I lined the bottom end up on tdc and took it all from there. the cam gear mark was out" not at 3 o'clock like it should have been."

Once all the timing marks had been lined up and everything put back together it fired like a swiss clock.
No missfire at idle or in any rev range.

so if your engine starts running really shitty have alook at the timing and check your timing chain. I'm going to be replacing tensioner and guides very soon as the chain is new.

So once again thank you to every one who gave info for me to try. you are all legends.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Mar 23, 2009, 03:12PM »
just fyi, air temp sensor is only used to reduce timing under higher than normal intake air temperatures, it would only cause issues if it was registering insanely high intake temps when it wasn't the case.

Offline BAM169

« Reply #17 on: Mar 24, 2009, 08:10AM »
 Yeah thanks for that info SSS. I had 3 mechanics from Ford tell me that the air temp sensor was the problem, how little do they know. the reason why the code was being stored in the ECU was because i disconnected the sensor with the engine running, thus creating an open circuit. Once i cleared the ECU of error codes stored non were registered when started engine.

Thanks again mate.