Author Topic: Rear brake pads  (Read 1783 times)

Offline U12notU2

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Rear brake pads
« on: Jan 7, 2009, 04:04PM »
Hey I recently attempted changing my rear brake pads but the the piston seems to be stuck.
Should I just WD40 it?  It's just that I read somewhere else that with some cars you have to turn it clockwise or something to be able to push it back?
It kinda screwed me over, because they were almost metal to metal and i used the old brake pad to try and lever it back which kind of put a few big scratches and dents in the old pads.  Then because the new ones wouldn't fit in the smaller gap i had to put the old ones back on. :(  The car made a squeeking noise for a little bit but I guess the disc wore them down a bit now 'cause it stopped.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Rear brake pads
« Reply #1 on: Jan 8, 2009, 10:54AM »
Due to the handbrake assembly the rear pistons need to be wound back in.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jan 8, 2009, 01:38PM »
Good thing i read this will be doings this soon XD
"Noss is God"

Offline U12notU2

« Reply #3 on: Jan 8, 2009, 01:48PM »
So how should I go about winding it back? As in are they both clockwise and would a hammer and screwdriver most likely damage it?

Offline MINI_man

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Jan 8, 2009, 02:22PM »
nah m8y that will damage it........i used a pair of decent vice grips (locking pliers)........... turn them both clockwise a fair way...... put ur pads in put it all back 2gether nd pump ur brakes a fair few times.....this will adjust the pistons then ull be stoppin in notime again.....lol

Offline U12notU2

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8, 2009, 10:00PM »
Oh sweet, thanks heaps.  The left hand side handbrake doesn't work anyway...I may have snapped something a while ago lol.  Its not the caliper or disc or anything because the footpedal still works (Well I figure it does anyway because otherwise the rust would have built up on it).  I'll have a look tomorrow when I put the new pads in.
Thanks again.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 9, 2009, 01:05AM »
You can get a tool to make it easier. It looks like a little cube with a heap of little nubs on it, designed to go on the end of a breaker bar or ratchet and key into the notches on the piston.

You can get them from autobarn and supercheap.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!