Author Topic: FUSE BLOWING  (Read 3674 times)

Offline evlknvl

• antrx.com senior member
FUSE BLOWING
« on: Nov 24, 2008, 04:18PM »
Hi guys, Just put my cd/dvd player from my project car to my shitter so I have something decent to listen to but when I crank it up past half way the fuse in the back of the stereo blows! Its a fuse/filter box which is only running a 2 amp small fuse that is wired into the amps and stereo together but it's blown on me twice now and only when I crank it up. Any ideas or advice? Maybe wire the amps and stereo seperate? Thanks for any help, Scott.

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
Re: FUSE BLOWING
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25, 2008, 10:54PM »
your amps should be powered from the battery and triggered by the head unit turning on. there's not enough power through the head unit wires on its own.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2008, 03:49PM »
Thanks m8. Put a 15 amp fuse in it, it doesnt blow now but but there doesnt seem to be alot of grunt in the speakers. Might rewire seperate so the amps are to the battery like you said.

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2008, 08:01AM »
i have a 60 amp fuse on my amps only and i can blow that if i'm not carefull, i'd get your amps off you factory harness and to your batterys quick smart, best bet is

rock down to super cheap / autobarn / repco / etc
 - pick up an 'Amp Wiring Kit'
       comes with thick power wire, fuses, fuse holders, etc etc

wire that up to your battery,

then through a 10/15 amp on your headunit in your fuse box, run a trigger wire from the trigger out of your head unit to your amps

this means when you go to ignition your head unit switches on, which whiches your amp(s) on for pumpin tunes yo!!

if your head unit has to trigger out....

grab a 12v relay when you buy your amp wiring kit, do the power wiring for the amps straight to the battery (thats important :-) ) ...

then put the relay in so that its power is taken from a power rail, source from the ignition switch power and the output of the relay goes to your amps trigger in...

this can be done without the relay, but they're as cheap as chips and give the system a better chance for longer life, if the relay ever blows its a simple unplug 4 wires grab new relay and plug wires back in :-)

Good Luck !
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2008, 11:47AM »
the other option is instead of a fuse get a circuit breaker, i've got a 110amp breaker for my amps and i've only triggered it twice, good thing is you just flick it back on, no need to carry spare fuses with you or have to buy more

but exactly what others have said run your H/U and amp/s seperately, amps should be run directly from the battery with the remote wire from your H/U connected to your remote on your amps so they switch on and off with the acc, i actually put a switch inline with my sub amp so i could just turn it off when i want
"Noss is God"

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2008, 04:59PM »
Thanks for the info weasel. Does the earth wire have to be seperate from the stereo and amp? Should be able to connect all earth (negative) wires together unlike the positive (+) having to be wireed seperate.

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2008, 09:15AM »
you could but you will get better results (not to mention have to run less wire ) if you earth your amp out by itself, somewhere close to the amp like a bolting point for part of the interior, you shouldn't need any more than a metre of wire

also run the same guage (thickness) wire for both your live and earth wires,
try to make connections as solid as possible i.e. Solder, Terminals - don't just twist and tape the wires, many systems fail on this point alone.

found this on the net it may clear things up, or just completely stuff evertything up :P

any more questions just ask
"Noss is God"

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2008, 11:36AM »
try to make connections as solid as possible i.e. Solder, Terminals - don't just twist and tape the wires, many systems fail on this point alone.

In this case I fail epically.

Let us know if/when you fix it!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2008, 03:45PM »
Thanks for the info weasel. Does the earth wire have to be seperate from the stereo and amp? Should be able to connect all earth (negative) wires together unlike the positive (+) having to be wireed seperate.
Your car has a 'negative earth' electrical system. meaning earthing any wires to the body of the car is negative. so like weasel said save the wire and drop it under an existing bolt or something. My suggestion is pick a nice spot in the boot, sand the paint away to bare metal and run your own screw/washer. When you get the amp wiring kit it should come with some nice clips for the end of the wires too. the best way to put them on is to hammer them flat on the driveway or something.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline evlknvl

« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2008, 09:30PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys, ends up it was the cheap amp running the front speakers.