Author Topic: need some advice on rear shelf  (Read 1521 times)

Offline DAN

• antrx.com junkie
need some advice on rear shelf
« on: Apr 23, 2005, 12:45PM »
ok fellas i have a 12" kicker sub 2 amps and mb quarts 6X9's in the rear shelf i am building a new rear shelf out of mdf i have done this once before on my old car however on my pintara the rear seat is mettal and with the thicker mdf shelf i am woried that the sub will be muffled and not all that good so i was wondering if it would be worth porting the rear shelf or using porting from the sub box to the rear shelf.

or not porting, or is there a better way of doing this any help would be apricated.

thanks

Offline ash

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
Re: need some advice on rear shelf
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2005, 05:09PM »
it shouldn't make a difference as long as u point ur sub at the seats or u will lose to much bass the problem with ported box's r when made properly they r so damm big and if u want a practical boot it's really out of the question i'd recoment a allpine v12 1000watt mono and a single type r cos they take up bugger all room and have plenty of kick . and put 6" splits in the shelf that will give u a better mid range

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: need some advice on rear shelf
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 05:14PM »
never point the subs at the seats, it sounds shit
ok fellas i have a 12" kicker sub 2 amps and mb quarts 6X9's in the rear shelf i am building a new rear shelf out of mdf i have done this once before on my old car however on my pintara the rear seat is mettal and with the thicker mdf shelf i am woried that the sub will be muffled and not all that good so i was wondering if it would be worth porting the rear shelf or using porting from the sub box to the rear shelf.

or not porting, or is there a better way of doing this any help would be apricated.

thanks

tuning the port for the shelf would be close to impossible, building a properly ported box may help,  i would look to more sound deadening in the boot area, particularly the boot lid, which is where most of your volume will be lost in a rear facing setup

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan