Author Topic: Nissans are from Mars, Commodores are from Uranus  (Read 11720 times)

Offline Big Pimp

• Commodore Relations Manager
  • antrx.com junior member
  • Prepar for fully sick pimpin'
Nissans are from Mars, Commodores are from Uranus
« on: Jun 16, 2004, 02:18AM »
As the voice of Commodore on this site, I would like to propose a new topic.

It seems that the natural enemy of the TRX is the Commodore. This could be that many TRX owners don't understand the commodore or the people who own them. I'd like to represent the commodore population and try to answer any questions you have about commodores or why commodore drivers do the things they do, or you can just use this link to pay out Commodores! Either way its up to you.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2004, 12:48PM by noss »

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
Re: Nissans are from Mars, Commodores are from Venus
« Reply #1 on: Jun 16, 2004, 10:15AM »
ehehehehe this could be dangerous. i just dont like commonwhores. especially vl's. mainly cuz im a ford fan.thats bout it
death to skaife
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jun 16, 2004, 10:44AM »
I nearly bought a VN Calais. Thank god i didn't.  ;D
It seemed ok at the time though, it was auto  :'(
For some reason i was hell bent on getting a RWD car, cos i had this frame of mind that FWD just wasn't right for some reason.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Jun 16, 2004, 10:50AM »
yeah i was the same (the fwd thing) but then i drove fwd cars at work (twin cam excels and a n13 sss vector) and it quickly changed my point of view.

i guess just as long as commodore people from elsewhere dont sign up and start a flame war then i got no problems with this thread.

also i dont find the commodore as an enemy, i just despise some of the drivers. like on the weekend, i met one guy that drove a vn and he was a top bloke, and the other guy with the vs, well you know all about him and his antics from my other thread. i think its a bit harsh or childish when some people here generalise that all vn drivers or all vl drivers a wankers but drivers of the newer models arent.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:36AM »
I think its directly related to the fall of each models re-sale value.

VR's and VS's are starting to become affoordable to P platers who are on apprentice wages or worked alot (like bob, 'Big Pimp'...lol).  The problem with that is, VN's and VP's are becoming even cheaper and the thrashers buy 'em knowing they will last a while and do burnouts if you turn a corner and plant it...

The number of VL's has decreased around geelong and most of the ones I see and in good nick now, but there are SOOO many shitbox VN's either lowered to obvlivion or just lexcens with no badges...

I only know one commodore driver and thats Bob.  Everyone else I know either drives a FWD car or a Ford.  My whole extended family drives fords, must come from the 'working at fords' in geelong.  We have a Ford Corsair, a Ford Laser LXi and a Ford Falcon (EL).  Plus a few other brands... lol

I see VN's as the ememy as they are just so damn gay!  Unless they are an SS or a VQ stato.  The VN SS is the fastest V8 SS cmmo 2nd to the VY isn't it?
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:42AM »
it comes down to a few things.. the market value of the car plus the background of the person, their up bringing and their type of work they're in.

i know its a bit of a generalisation, just like your generalising the point 'people that buy vn's are fuckheads' but i think the majority of these 'idiot' drivers are people that work in the automotive industry, such as mechanics and panel beaters. that kind of stuff. the apprentices especially. not saying that all people in the industry are idiots, but it seems to be where a lot of them are.

you could be a very normal person, and just decide that for your first car, a vn commodore will have to do as it is what is in your price range.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:44AM »
Yeah the VN SS is quick, my mate's slightly modded one (extractors, some sort of twin 2.25" exhaust that came with the car, thermofans, CAI) beat a CV8 Monaro from a rolling start, it was from about 60 to 90 i think.

Offline rollaboy

• antrx.com junkie
  • i love 4 play (get it, cause i have a 4wd!) hahaha
« Reply #7 on: Jun 16, 2004, 12:02PM »
reasons why i dislike commodores -

milk and juice may come in 2 litres, but they dont have turbochargers bolted to the side of em

Offline rollaboy

• antrx.com junkie
  • i love 4 play (get it, cause i have a 4wd!) hahaha
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2004, 12:12PM »

dunno what just happened to my computer, but anyways..................

reasons why i dislike commodores -

- because when a P plater gets behind the wheel of one, they think its a license to be fully sik, and do stupid shit that endangers teh lives of others on the road. they way that some of them are driven are just disgraceful!!! the number of crashed commodores that just wiped out 5 teenagers lives joy riding in the car on the news is a unbelievable.

- Every1 has one. which just means that in general, when some1 (mainly yound drivers ) buy a commodore, they are doing it to be "cool" like every1 else

- They are a family car that is driven like a sports car (exception to VL turbo's, and most new V8's -  i think these ARE good performance cars)

milk and juice may come in 2 litres, but they dont have turbochargers bolted to the side of em

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Jun 16, 2004, 12:24PM »
its not the cars (not saying i like them there GAY to drive) i hate its the people that drive them they attract dickheds in my expierieces real like dirty people that wear  hsv singlets with there man tits hanging out the sides, all of my mates that are into cars like  commodores(well alot of em thank god there not full blown bogans) conversation that took place in my car from 2 friends "see my skid last night? ""yeh all commodores do good skids man you shoulda seen this on my mate did the other night" and on and on this is about the time i tune out these are my expieriences i also know someone with a vn thats a realy nice guy so yeh

oh yeh and i almost got my head kicked in on new years from 6 guys with hsv shirts  for saying you guys into the holdens or somthing mate? (as a joke, i was introduced by a friend of a friend)

and shouldnt it be commodores are from uranus  :P

i know its a bit of a generalisation, just like your generalising the point 'people that buy vn's are f*ckheads' but i think the majority of these 'idiot' drivers are people that work in the automotive industry, such as mechanics and panel beaters. that kind of stuff. the apprentices especially. not saying that all people in the industry are idiots, but it seems to be where a lot of them are.

you could be a very normal person, and just decide that for your first car, a vn commodore will have to do as it is what is in your price range.

i got me a genuine ex nissan mechanic thats very good at what he does, but i have to agree apprentices are usaully bogans where im from but the mechanics arnt but i dont live in some chronic city

just my .02 cents
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: Nissans are from Mars, Commodores are from Uranus
« Reply #10 on: Jun 16, 2004, 12:49PM »
and shouldnt it be commodores are from uranus  :P

hehe updated :P

yeh i meant mainly the apprentices, but there are some guys that never grow out of the idiocy. i know about 5 mechanics that are real good blokes and i'd never stick them in the category of a moron.

Offline Urq!

• sdrawkcab siht daer
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com senior member
  • I wonder if anyone reads these things.
    • My car
« Reply #11 on: Jun 16, 2004, 12:54PM »
plus there is a lot more comadores on the road (and a lot in bogan front yards on blocks :D) than other cars so you would have to expect there would be more tools driving commanwhores than other cars.

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #12 on: Jun 16, 2004, 04:16PM »
Wow, I never thought this would be so popular!

and shouldnt it be commodores are from uranus 

I was considering it, but I thought there would be enough payouts flying any way

As to the rearwheel frontwheel thing, I think its a culture thing. It's what makes commodore drivers do 'Fully Sick Skids' because it is so easy, especially in VN's because of how unballanced they are, and how they were tuned (They actually de-tuned the VP becausew to many old ladies were riding of their VN's due to the responsiveness) And most of the people who buy VN's now are inexperienced P'platers who plant the foot and go wow I'm doing a fully sic skid, but don't know how to correct it (they also find it hard to see through their beanies) and when they are showing off to their friends that is when they end up killing someone.

The reason I like rear wheel drive is because the thoucht of understeer scares the hell out of me, If I'm fanging into a corner I'd perfer to loose the back and over steer, rather than understeer and go in head first (just my oppinion, feel free to comment)

The fact that commodores are so common which also means cheap is also another reason that so many scosers have them, and you only ever notice a bad commodore because all the stock ones are common they just blend into the scenery. If you want to see the worlds biggest collection of scosser commodores go to Broad Meddows, in particular Kangan Batman Tafe (I don't think they sell springs in Broadie cause no one seems to have them)

Whith two mainstreem car companies in australia and the V8 Supercar circuit and Australians passion for their favorite team, that is what makes commodore drivers so one eyed (and also ford drivers) I remember when I was a big VC driving commodore nut, seeing Lownds go to ford. I remember saying 'he should have died in that rollover he had while in HRT, atleast he would have died with dignity'. I know that was a stupid comment but you get swept up with the culture. I don't watch the V8's any more (Partly cause Holden is getting it's ass whooped!)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Jun 16, 2004, 04:23PM »
hehe.. my comment re: fwd vs. rwd isn't a dig at you, but, the reason that a lot of car manufacturers make fwd cars now is not only because its cheaper, but because it is easier to correct understeer than oversteer.

basically, the majority of car manufacturer's views is that, if its not a race car, then it shouldnt have to be rwd. there was also a time when a lot of young female drivers and nannas were dying or causing accidents as a result of losing control of their rwd cars (this is what i have read anyway) all you have to do to correct understeer is to slow down.. i dunno. thats what i read anyway.

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #14 on: Jun 16, 2004, 07:22PM »
you shouldnt get understeer if ya do your going to quick i hate breaking mid corner its always best to brake before and accelerate through

i think ive only ever got it once in a u12 but that was more bodyroll then anything
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline NeVetS

• Dent King!
  • antrx cruise monkey
« Reply #15 on: Jun 16, 2004, 08:08PM »
I have too friends with commodores one is a vh the other a vp. The VH is owed by matt who some people meet on the last cruise, one of the nicest guys on the planet. He drives he car in the most no dero way i've ever seen a commodore been driven. The VH is also one of the nicest mechcanical wise i ever been in and herd! The Other guy i work with is also one of the nicest guy ever. He drives the VP like its ment to be driven (only the odd wheels spin here and there!) and it's a manual! Its also the best looking commodore of it age ever. He had it respayed and keep it it's factory colour. Looks really nice for a com.

But then theres the VN drivers that think there car can take courners at 100kmh and the say cold air in take on there car is better than a turbo *cough* loser*cough* I know OF two people who crashed there VN's and nearly killed them selves. I call these people the VNdisorders! Everytime i see one i also ask 'what options did your car come with? Air con, pwr steer, coffin?'

I think the reason why most of as don't have friends that drive like nobs behind the wheel of a commodore is because we can choose our friends and we don't choose to know degraded f*cks like that. PS i really hate VN's   

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #16 on: Jun 16, 2004, 08:10PM »
nah if your going too fast you will get understeer. i'm not saying your supposed to brake mid corner, but that is what you do to correct the understeer.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #17 on: Jun 16, 2004, 08:24PM »
Yeah the VN SS is quick, my mate's slightly modded one (extractors, some sort of twin 2.25" exhaust that came with the car, thermofans, CAI) beat a CV8 Monaro from a rolling start, it was from about 60 to 90 i think.

add in twin throttle bodies and a few more mods and we shall find out what power my mates has on the weekend :P

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #18 on: Jun 16, 2004, 08:34PM »
The only front wheel drive cars I have driven have been pretty slow. auto 90 Magna 4cyl, auto Hyundae Elantra, manual Excell, Budginators car ;D. Though I must say I pushed the Excell into some corners pretty hard while test driving it and didn't recieve too much understeer.

I can't really help loving RWD cars, I even prefer them in NFS Underground, I just know how to controll them better.
I have kinda grown up with them. I have a commodore family my bros car is a VP S-pack which never leaves the garage and my dads car is is a VR BT1 (Thats police pack) and before that we had a EB Series II wagon and before that it was a HJ Kingswood Wagon (Wagons Suck  >:()

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #19 on: Jun 16, 2004, 08:46PM »
Yeah my cars slow... its the 'sexy slug'. hehe :D

Offline POVR31

• go my POVmobile
« Reply #20 on: Jun 16, 2004, 08:53PM »
I still like my commies i think its part of being australian. "bigger is better". but then u start to realise that WTF holdens are made basically from OPELS. one of the coolest commies VL turbo has jap enigne and opel body shape. the new commodore has an american chev. Even the Walkinshaw is basically european. I think the most australian commie id the VN group A with the aussie V8 thats what i would get. So yeah the point is it is only the media giving the impression that holdens are australian, they are not really.

So i came to the conclusion to buy the best engineered car instead of the most popular car in price range R31. Common is bad and good i by a car to go fast not to stand out that just means ya car gets more attention and is more likely to get vandalised.

VN's go pretty hard but they are still a fmaily sedan not a performance vehcle top range holden would cane top range pintara got it.
yeah finished now the moral is commies are good and bad and people should respect other peoples preferences and opinions.

except lancers with 3inch exhausts and fake aluminium fuel cap stickers ;D
The POVmobile....suspension, rims, customsied POV gearbox and POVerised paint.

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #21 on: Jun 16, 2004, 09:01PM »
If you brake during oversteer you are pretty well fucked (Unless you have ABS) which is probably what happend to those two friends of yours who crashed NeVetS. Panicked and hit the brakes when they lost controll.

VN drivers who think that a cold air is better than a turbo obviously don't know anything about cars and just brought the fastest stock vehicle they could for $5000 and didn't consider handling. It is VN drivers that give the rest of us a bad name, but don't worry, they're all driving themselves into extinction!

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #22 on: Jun 16, 2004, 09:20PM »
It is a sexy slug Budge!

except lancers with 3inch exhausts and fake aluminium fuel cap stickers

Thank you for showing us the real enemy

Offline JIMB0

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #23 on: Jun 16, 2004, 10:09PM »
all you have to do to correct understeer is to slow down.. i dunno. thats what i read anyway.

When I push my corsair hard through a corner while on the throttle it will understeer, but when I let of the throttle it goes into tail happy snap-oversteer which is not that easy to correct.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #24 on: Jun 16, 2004, 10:14PM »
Its now becoming an Understeer Vs Oversteer thread :)... lol

I can attest to that shitty snap oversteer Jimbo.  I have suffered it a few times before I learnt how to control it correctly.  It gets worse with lowering and better tyres/rims.  As you grip more, but when you loose it you loose it big time.

180' accidental spin outside a cop shop good enough?  lol

I too enjpy oversteer more than understeer however.  I only get to experience it once I've lost control in my corsair or i'm driving my dads company car.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #25 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:24PM »
ah just to clarify i didnt really mean brake. i didnt mean completely let your foot off the accelerator either.. i know how to control understeer and oversteer, at least confidently enough to get my ass out of trouble. and the bit on the end of that quote where i wrote 'i dunno. thats what i read anyway' was referring to the car manufacturers preferring fwd cause its safer, not the understeer correctment.

Its now becoming an Understeer Vs Oversteer thread :)... lol

no its not. if it gets off topic too much the thread will be locked. there should be a bunch of threads elsewhere locked, but cheeky moderators keep unlocking them.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:32PM »
add in twin throttle bodies and a few more mods and we shall find out what power my mates has on the weekend :P

nice....the VN SS's owner i was talking about, his cousin had a 600hp NA VR, huge compression, huge cam, custom twin tb's, haltech ecu....everything. He sold that car a while back apparently, but returned it to stock before doing so. So my mate has the opportunity to run the twin tb's his cousin used.....but for some reason he's not going to. beats the hell out of me why not.  :-\

Tas, V8's that size notice significant gains from such breathing mods, your mate will be quite happy with himself.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #27 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:33PM »

VN's go pretty hard but they are still a fmaily sedan not a performance vehcle top range holden would cane top range pintara got it.

you gotta compare apples with apples. comparing a top range commodore (hsv v8) with a top of the range pintara (96kw 4cyl) is not a valid comparison. no one here (ok maybe one member) is saying that the pintara is the fastest thing on the face of the planet.

yeah finished now the moral is commies are good and bad and people should respect other peoples preferences and opinions.

thats exactly right, you have to respect others opinions. just like i prefer fords to holdens. like i prefer imports to the majority of aussie delivered cars. that i'd love to own a pimped chevy silverado. their my opinions. no one here has really said 'people that like holdens are fuckheads' thats not the way this thread should go. the point that has been raised (which we all know anyway) is that there are certain people that choose to drive commodores for whatever reason that are wankers. but then there are also the same type of wankers that choose to drive fords, imports, and even ferarris. it just so happens that bob, who is a commodore driver, started this thread, funnily enough, about commodores.
« Last Edit: Jun 16, 2004, 11:53PM by noss »

Offline Big Pimp

« Reply #28 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:36PM »
Or when your in my car hey budge ;D

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #29 on: Jun 16, 2004, 11:38PM »
Go bob!  Go commodores... if they are V8's :)