Author Topic: u13 throttle body  (Read 3654 times)

Offline bluebird

• antrx.com junior member
  • new kid on the block
u13 throttle body
« on: Dec 26, 2006, 07:35PM »
This question may have been asked before.
Is there any benefit from fitting a sr20de throttle body to a u13 sr20det.
I read somewhere on the net that they are a much better flowing unit.
Has anyone done this mod and was there any improvement.
I assume this should be a straight bolt on replacement with no other mods.
What would you expect to pay for a second hand sr20de throttle body from the wreckers.
Please advise.

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
Re: u13 throttle body
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2006, 06:02PM »
roughly it'll cost you between $60-100. theres no benefit in upgrading the throttle body until you're pushing some serious power. there are a lot of other restrictions id be looking at before the throttle, namely the afm and intercooler piping
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline fraz

• bandit!
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2006, 07:16PM »
The u13 sr20det throttle i have is exactly the same size as the u12 sr20de and u13 sr20de ones i have.
sr18de is possibly larger, but a mate saw the u13 throttle and was sure it was larger than his u12 sr20det and his mates s14 sr20det
you can get out of a ukrainian prison for 2 packs of marlbro and a bottle of vodka....

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2006, 08:05PM »
Yeh Im confused too, Cause I bought an sr20de one and my mechanic said it was the same as whats already on the car, but the car was stock at the time.
Is there any distinguishing features at all that tell them apart? apart from iinternally
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline Impakt

• new kid on the block
« Reply #4 on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:20AM »
I have an sr20de TB on my attesa. I still have the stock det TB somewhere and i can guarantee you that in my case the black top sr20det TB is smaller than the one from the N14 sr20de.

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #5 on: Dec 29, 2006, 12:23PM »
we're not doubting they are different sizes, we know the sr20de is bigger Internally,
its just impossible to tell from the outside :)
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline bluebird

• new kid on the block
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2006, 08:30PM »
If the black top sr20det has a smaller throttle body than the sr20de
then I would assume that the red top is smaller also. Can anyone confirm this.
At the end of the day it sounds like a cheap mod anyway even though there may not be
a real benefit.
On my car i have no airflow meter and intercooler has been done so I am looking for any other
improvement even if its small.
n14 pulsar seems to be the best choice.

To Impakt,
Anything I should watch out for when changing over.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #7 on: Dec 31, 2006, 12:58PM »
counterpunch has done the swap. im sure he wrote about it on the forum somewhere. i think he said there was one annoying thing regarding the water line or something ??
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #8 on: Jan 4, 2007, 02:15AM »
I bought the 60mm throttle body from a SR20DE expecting my throttle body on my redtop SR20DET to be 54mm as previously mentioned by others.  However upon changing over I found the throttle bodies to be the same size internally at 60mm.  I then performed an engine swap from a U13 SR20DET redtop to a U13 Series 2 SR20DET blacktop.  I found no difference in the throttle bodies between the two.  I ended up selling the 60mm throttle body I had as it served no purpose for improvement.  Not sure where the water lines come in. ???
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline Impakt

• new kid on the block
« Reply #9 on: Jan 4, 2007, 09:17AM »
When doing the change the water lines that lead to the TB are a real pain to get on and off. They are held on with clamps and the isn't alot of room in the area. Basically doing the job requires a fair bit of patience and a decent pair of long nose pliers.

I did the job start to finish in around 2 hours, and this included making up a new gasket from scratch as the stock one fell apart.

Impakt

Offline bluebird

• new kid on the block
« Reply #10 on: Jan 5, 2007, 10:05AM »
Thanks guys,
All points noted.

Offline Counterpunch

« Reply #11 on: Jan 5, 2007, 11:06AM »
Ahh....yes good point Impakt!  But just a bit of advice, measure the ID of the throttle body before you take the stock throttle body off.  Otherwise you may get a little irate afterwards when you find out they are the same size ID.  :D
RNU12 Bluebird SSS Attesa
HNU13 Bluebird SSS Attesa Ltd

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #12 on: Jan 5, 2007, 01:35PM »
wow so we have the larger diametre tb?