Author Topic: n00b-a-licious question  (Read 3760 times)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
n00b-a-licious question
« on: Dec 5, 2006, 03:01PM »
Okay... very quick confrimation question before i go cutting things ;D

Is this line where a manual boost controller would go?

I'm about 70% sure it is, but as i said before i'm new to the turbo thing and just want to be sure.
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
Re: n00b-a-licious question
« Reply #1 on: Dec 5, 2006, 03:29PM »
Thats the one, but you shouldnt have to cut anything, you should only have to remove the factory boost solonoid and replace it with the controller.
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #2 on: Dec 5, 2006, 03:31PM »
hmmmm... i'll go look for the factory solenoid - i thought there would be one but couldn't see it... i'll go have a closer look now.

EDIT: don't suppose you have a picture...or can describe where i can find the solenoid?
« Last Edit: Dec 5, 2006, 03:35PM by JelloBello »
13.876 @ 98.83mph

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #3 on: Dec 5, 2006, 03:51PM »
I think it attaches to the stock airbox. I'm not 100% sure tho because when I got my car it was just dangling by the boost hose because it had no airbox.

Have a look near the bypass valve, there should be a boost hose coming off the side of the intake pipe that should go to a t-piece that splits the hose, one hose goes to the wastegate actuator and the other goes to the boost solonoid. All you have to do realy is remove that t-piece and put your boost controller between the hose that comes off the intake pipe and the hose that goes to the wastegate actuator. Then find where the boost solonoid is, it should connect another hose to the pipe between the maf and the turbo, you should plug up this hose some how so you dont get air being sucked into the intake from here, just put a screw/bolt in the hose and cable tie it n or something.

I hope this helps and makes sence.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #4 on: Dec 5, 2006, 06:04PM »
okay... this is what i did:

Disconnected two boost lines from the solenoid... then i blocked off the one that goes to the intake before the boost and also blocked off the one that goes to the T between the intake after turbo and the wastegate acculator(sp?).

then i cut the boost line between the wastegate acculator and the T peice which connects to the intake (after turbo)...

then i took the car for a spin on what is suposedly the stock setting to the boost conrtoller (it's a spring/ball one not leak) and the car was noticabley slower (lower boost) so i cranked it up a bit and it went like a zertec ;D.... but my question is why would it have lost so much power from the stock setup to the stock setting of the boost controller? have i missed something? ..did i even put it in the right place? :P
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #5 on: Dec 5, 2006, 06:41PM »
if you put it in the wrong way or in the wrong place then you wouldnt be able to control the boost wat so ever, trust me thinking you have done it right and then seeing 1.5bar(23psi) is fun but not cool on an otherwise standard engine....

generally the boost does go down when you install an aftermarket controller, it will control it back to the factory 7psi or lower. but as soon as you wind it out then you will notice the difference straight away as it will bring boost on earlier.

what boost was it running before then right after then after you wound it up??

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #6 on: Dec 5, 2006, 07:49PM »
jamie you are gonna come show me right?
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #7 on: Dec 5, 2006, 08:12PM »
if you put it in the wrong way or in the wrong place then you wouldnt be able to control the boost wat so ever, trust me thinking you have done it right and then seeing 1.5bar(23psi) is fun but not cool on an otherwise standard engine....

generally the boost does go down when you install an aftermarket controller, it will control it back to the factory 7psi or lower. but as soon as you wind it out then you will notice the difference straight away as it will bring boost on earlier.

what boost was it running before then right after then after you wound it up??

lol don't have a boost gauge yet :P (should be here 2morrow or thursday)

I'm working with a 100% stock car here so i'm assuming that it was 7psi before i added the controller and now i've got it on the lowest setting which feels alot slower than stock.

...I must admit curiosity got the best of me and i wound it up a lil bit for about 3km of driving (round the block), now that was FUN!

i'll wait until i get a gauge before i go playing with it any further

- and luke you'll see it at the cruise unless you wanna make a trek down here, as i can't afford more petrol till friday :P
« Last Edit: Dec 5, 2006, 08:30PM by JelloBello »
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #8 on: Dec 6, 2006, 05:57PM »
hmmmmm, okay i've been thinking - the line that connects to the wastegate acculator is almost at a right angle just before it connects to it... now my question is; could this be causing the line to "kink" a little bit, thus creating more pressure directly after it and in turn making the wastegate open prematurely?

As i had to pull this line a little bit to put in the controller i think this could be the source of my lack of boost problems, i'll be going to repco or sumewhere 2morrow to get some vacume hose and try replacing it, just wondering what you guys think?

EDIT: when my engine cools down i'm also going to try disconnecting the wiring for the stock solenoid to see if that has any effect.
« Last Edit: Dec 6, 2006, 06:02PM by JelloBello »
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #9 on: Dec 7, 2006, 05:51AM »
Just be carefull that you don't mess up any vac connections... this can greatly effect fuel economy and make your car run shittier.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #10 on: Dec 7, 2006, 07:47AM »
The boost controller shouldnt make your car slower than stock becuase its impossible for it to wind boost down as the lowest boost is goverened by the wastegate spring which stock should be 7psi.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 7, 2006, 11:06AM »
i know wolf... thats why i'm so confused.
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #12 on: Dec 7, 2006, 02:12PM »
You've probably cocked something :P

Boost leak maybe?  Due to an incorrect vac line...

I'm only speaking from experience here champ :)
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 7, 2006, 02:56PM »
okay... not cool.

i just re-plumbed with vaccume hose from acculaor => intake after turbo  -  no dice
so i thought... hmmmmm interesing
then i ran a pipe straight from the intake after turbo to accualtor => still no where near what it was before.
THEN i re-did the stock plumbing and included the stock solenoid in the mix, once again no dice.

I am now really confused and think my wastegate / wastegate acculator may be jammed open?

anyhow i'm at the point where it's the mechanics turn to have a look and see what he thinks......... unless there's an easy way to check the wastgate/acculator?
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #14 on: Dec 7, 2006, 11:46PM »
See the rod that goes from the wastegate actuator to the turbine housing? Pull that towards the turbine end of the turbo. It should be fairly firm (maybe 5-10kg of force on it before it moves). If it moves the wastegate isn't jammed.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #15 on: Dec 9, 2006, 03:32PM »
does the U13 have a little valve inside the vacuum line that goes to the wastegate actuator?? as mine did and it was in the hose just out of the intake before the T to the boost solenoid. i cant remember whether taking this out makes the boost go up or down so maybe if this valve was removed or not there may be an issue with it

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!