Author Topic: z32 calipers  (Read 3463 times)

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
z32 calipers
« on: Aug 17, 2006, 02:10PM »
will the z32 calipers fit onto our rotors? or does it sit towards one side and not centered?
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
Re: z32 calipers
« Reply #1 on: Aug 17, 2006, 05:24PM »
I read this in another forum today from bluebird NZ.  ::)

the z32 rotors are thicker. if u13 rotors match s13 rotors, then you can use z32 spec rotors (in 4 stud).

thicker is good for braking, you'll get similar mechanical braking capability but the thicker disc will give better resistance to heat issues due to being able to absorb more heat.

i never got around to fitting the z32 calipers, only test fitting, they're still sitting on my garage floor.

Pics of test fit: http://www.clubpoint.net/bluebird/?path=brakes

id also like to know what would be a better upgrade on my attesa. can you just bolt on a bigger set of calipers.
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #2 on: Aug 17, 2006, 07:10PM »
fez = phreeky? hehe
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline fez200

• antrx.com full member
  • BARBIE AIN'T HERE..!
    • RAW4x4
« Reply #3 on: Aug 17, 2006, 10:19PM »
na...but yeah phreeky did write it...he posted the same issue on the NZ site today.
God gave man a brain and a penis and only enough blood to operate one at a time.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Aug 18, 2006, 09:43AM »
will the z32 calipers fit onto our rotors? or does it sit towards one side and not centered?

Depends what calipers you get. if you get the NA calipers, they use a 26mm thick rotor. If you get the turbo calipers, they use a 30mm thick rotor, which is what i've been using for the past 2 years on my u12.

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #5 on: Aug 18, 2006, 09:57AM »
On this topic, If upgrading to say z32 or r32 breaks or similar can you retain the ABS?
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #6 on: Aug 18, 2006, 03:53PM »
yep u retain abs (shouldnt affect abs getting bigger calipers)

il be getting the NA ones ( got them cheap so gives me some money left over for rebuild ) so they will sit nicely and centered on the rotors? any idea about the brake lines?

this will be a good cheap upgrade if all i need is some wheel spacers.. *fingers crossed*

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #7 on: Aug 18, 2006, 11:40PM »
How much of a spacer do you need? I've heard of people grinding the Nissan logo off the caliper to make it fit.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline phreeky

« Reply #8 on: Sep 20, 2006, 02:42PM »
bringing this back up..........i've found you probably need a rotor around 278mm diameter rather than 280mm with the z32 calipers. bolting the calipers on the rotor grinds on the caliper, and tightening all the bolts the whole lot locks up. from my quick measurements (not using a precision tool mind you), it looks like the z32 rotor specs but with some diameter machined off and drilled to 4 stud would be right. (it would need the correct rotor height to ensure the rotor sits exactly centre in the caliper, as they're a fixed caliper design, not floating like our stock ones).

once i can afford rotors and spacers i'll probably put them on

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #9 on: Dec 4, 2006, 02:53PM »
ok i have just trial fitted some NA z32 calipers. and as phreeky has said the rotor seems to hit the caliper... quite unfortunate as it now seems like you either have to machine the rotor or as im planning to do, shave a few mm off inside the caliper where it hits.

also im planning to keep using the stock bluebird rotors, hence i have opted to get the NA z32 calipers. in doing so i still needed to put a washer between the caliper (little dodgy..) and the where it bolts to the hub. this *nearly* puts the caliper in centre with the rotor... but it was too hard to confirm how close it will b due to the caliper hitting the rotor.

my overall goal of this caliper upgrade is to get a decent upgrade in stopping power for relatively little cost (so no redrilling of the rotor, no machining of the edge, and easier to source brake pads)

it looks like you will need at least a 10mm spacer (or bolt on) which should clear the calipers. im yet to decide if i should get spacers or get wheels with the proper offset (the latter being a bit more difficult and expensive) im trying to stay away from spacers as 1) they are illegal 2)hub centric spacers are pretty expensive 3) the front wheels will be sticking out more than the rears (unless you get spacers for the back...) i dont know what impact this would have on handling, not much im guessing

any feedback or ideas appreciated :)

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #10 on: Dec 4, 2006, 03:05PM »
Found this on Altimas.net Its a bit of info a guy in QLD wrote p about putting r32GTR breaks on his Domestic model U13.

Just a thread to tell those that the r32 gtr brake calipers do fit as long as you also get the r32 gtr disc and also remachine those with the 4 bolt pattern also you will ned to slightly machine a small amount of the lower control arm but just mms thats all ...

The real problem is the rims ....

On my situation i used hub spacers that were made to fit my 18 x9 so it was easy to get the calipers on ... but you need to get it to fit is a clearnce of 33 mm ... from the back base of rims .. it's a little hard to explain but hopefully pictures will follow thread if any interested ...
ohh for those the r32 gtr calipers are the same as the z32 300zx .... ohh the only reason i used r32 calipers is i got them for free :P .... also i used gtr rotors as they are crossed drilled and directional ....

An update on the car as we speak at panel shop with flair work and new bar being fitted ...

Pictures have also been taken so soon to hit web ....

I don't know much about breaks but maybe this will be a little help to you.

Offline LUP15

• formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #11 on: Dec 4, 2006, 03:36PM »
yeah its hard to compare the aus and the jdm birds... we dont have that control arm problem. also what i dont get is why he used r32 gtr rotors... unless he got the gtr calipers to suit...

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #12 on: Dec 4, 2006, 04:31PM »
Maybe he used the GTR rotors cause there larger, wouldnt larger rotors be better as more surface area meens they will take longer to get hot?

I could be wrong breaks aint my forte.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #13 on: Dec 4, 2006, 05:13PM »
yeah its hard to compare the aus and the jdm birds... we dont have that control arm problem. also what i dont get is why he used r32 gtr rotors... unless he got the gtr calipers to suit...

David had a full GTR front brake setup, and modified them to suit the U13 front.

Offline eurisko

• Frankenmotor Builder
  • post whore
  • Oldschool and Newstyle
« Reply #14 on: Dec 4, 2006, 06:10PM »
the front wheels will be sticking out more than the rears (unless you get spacers for the back...) i dont know what impact this would have on handling, not much im guessing

any feedback or ideas appreciated :)

Your guessing incorrectly. Any modification with the geometry of the suspension (especially the front wheels) will make your car behave quite differently. A 20mm increase in wheel base will cause all kinds of dramas when it comes to steering. Particularly if they arent inline with the rears.

Id be treading extremely cautiously when it comes to wheels, alignment and suspension components. Like you said, they are extremely illegal due to the fact they can fail... and when they do... good bye driver.

The Nissubishda will live....