Author Topic: Amp wiring issues  (Read 2419 times)

Offline bgla5312

Amp wiring issues
« on: Dec 22, 2005, 12:56PM »
I recently did a self-install of a small sub and amp which went well until yesturdy
Instead of breaching the firewall i powered the setup through an empty slot in my fuse box under the steering column and
also gounded with a screw near there
It was all workin fine and dandy till my unsecured sub slid round a corner and the wires came loose,
i clamped the wires back in and sure enough it works again
BUT when i start the engine and drive off, it only takes a few 100m's before it stops workin, every time
When i just have the power on it works fine

I am that puzzled, and can only think that some damage was done when it came loose or possibly from the wiring

Any thoughts on this would be much appreciated

Cheers  :)

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
Re: Amp wiring issues
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:01PM »
It was all workin fine and dandy till my unsecured sub slid round a corner and the wires came loose,
i clamped the wires back in and sure enough it works again
BUT when i start the engine and drive off, it only takes a few 100m's before it stops workin, every time
When i just have the power on it works fine

I am that puzzled, and can only think that some damage was done when it came loose or possibly from the wiring

Ok im assuming your speaker cable came loose? If so and they touched there is a possibility you have shorted the amp.
What your saying is when the car is not running but has power it works fine? Do you tend to give the system more volume when your driving. Sometimes they will work fine until you try and give it volume which is when it can sometimes cut out.

Get the amp checked would be first on my list.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline bgla5312

« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:08PM »
yeh speaker cables, im pretty novice at this stuff
i keep the same volume when driving, possibly a notch more but nothin drastic

if i have shorted the amp would it work at all?

Any sure ways of testing it at home, (different sub, change amp settings..)

thanks

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #3 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:10PM »
Its hard to tell...basically if you shorted it it might be going into protection really quickly, generally you get a little more voltage when the car is running which could be the cause of your problem maybe.

In terms of testing it at home i dont know of any ways to test it but im sure other members might have an idea.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:28PM »
gey someone to turn the car on while you watch the amp power up, if it goes into protection mode almost instantly, its most likely going to be your amp, if it takes awhile to hit protect mode, it may have another cause to problem.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline rathies

• I may be going to hell but I'm going in a 4BY
  • post whore
  • Patrol of Doom coming soon
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2005, 12:13AM »
next time you drive 100m down the road the the sub cuts out pull over with the engine running. have a look at the amp for a protection light. I'm wondering if there will be sufficient power coming through the fuse block. you might want to consider running a cable straight from the battery.
check all of the cables are secured into the amp so they can't fall out. If you amp had issues it would not power-up/work at all. your amp has protection from the speaker cables crossing over. provided your amp isn't going into protection mode i would blame the sub cutting out on something else.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5
Current Ride(s):  91 GQ Patrol ST-3 RB25DET Converted :)

Offline bgla5312

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2005, 01:41PM »
how do i go about preventing the amp from entering protection mode, does it require a new fuse or is it something
 more terminal?

Cheers for the help

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:19PM »
it sounds to me like your sensitivity might be set too low. is it definately going into protection mode?
Turn your head unit up to a nice audible volume and slowly turn the amp sensitivity control (if it has one) clockwise. I had a similiar problem with mine.  the amp was set to 200ma sensitivity when my head unit produces 5v. it made the amp go into protection when i turned the volume up.
if you dont have a specific 'sensitivy' control. let me know what settings the amp does have for you to adjust.
Previous rides: KA24ET TRX,  2000 GUII Patrol 4.2 td, AntrxWA whore TRX owner 4/5, 99 Landrover Discovery TD5

Offline bgla5312

« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2005, 02:50PM »
I changed the sensitivity to bout 200ma, and at the same time changed the channel which the amp was running
I went driving again and it worked the whole time

Does this mean that the original channel is flawed, or i guess altering the sensitivity may have been the cure

either way it seems to be good, thanks for the help

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2005, 03:33PM »
try the original channel again if you want answers. to me it sounded like the sensitivity and it seems to have fixed the problem.

Offline timstar

• antrx.com full member
  • When only the best will do.... timstar!
« Reply #10 on: Dec 23, 2005, 03:42PM »
This comment is more a pro-active problem solver...

Get a proper power cable for the amp with an inline fuse.. and run it straight off the battery.
You don't wanna start over heating your fuse box from running your amp off it.

Its not hard to run a power cable through the firewall, just find a rubber plug and drill
a whole through it slightly smaller than the power cable.. that way it will stay sealed.

I'm not scared of dying I just don't want to

If I stopped lying, I'd just disappoint you!!!!!

Offline rathies

• post whore
« Reply #11 on: Dec 23, 2005, 05:25PM »
thats what I was getting at before. you will end up damaging the amp in the long run if it doesn't have suffiicient power. not to mention making the illumination for all of your accessories flash like a disco. 8 gauge cable will fit through the existing grommet on the passenger side without having to drill (assuming you have a u12). you will need to feed a piece of coat hanger through and attach the cable to it. best to get a mate to help out because 2 sets of eyes/hands are good.

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #12 on: Dec 23, 2005, 11:13PM »
yes! that's wot i was about to recommed: running sum 8 guage wire with inline fuse straight from the battery, then just keep shoving the wire thru the grommet on the front passenger side - tho i ended up cuttin a little bit of the grommet so it slid thru easier!

as rathies says, it is indeed easy if there's 2 of ya, even if its just ur sister or bro or whoever just pokin their head up the front passenger foot space to see the wire comin thru and draggin it in!

good luck man!
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....