Author Topic: DRIFTING - RWD, FWD or 4WD?  (Read 32460 times)

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
Re: DRIFTING - RWD, FWD or 4WD?
« Reply #60 on: Jul 24, 2006, 04:14PM »
uuuuh, is this thread still going?!
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline RichTRX

• sth. oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • May the 4's be with you.
« Reply #61 on: Jul 25, 2006, 01:18PM »
It's funny. Two weeks ago I went through a negative cambering roundabout hard, then steered even harder into it and was amazed when the ass of the car slid out at nearly a 40 degree angle. Felt extremely untidy but was not difficult to get it back under control with a touch of countersteering. I imagine this kind of thing would wreak havoc on the rear bushings and parallel links and wheel bearings, as well as pose a threat to my car and/or my life, so I'm simply not interested in doing it.

Although in my case it was completely unintentional I couldn't help but think "This is what they must define as FWD drifting."
His: 2001 Audi S4 biturbo quattro 6sp, Nogaro Blue/black leather recaros, microsilver trim, bose 10sp, SSAC 2.5" twin turboback, RS4 rear sway, 25% tint

Hers: MY99.5 Audi A4 1.8T Quattro GP Edition AVANT 5-sp, phantom black, black leather buckets/walnut/sunroof, 2.5" D&T Turboback, K04-015, N75J, 710N DV

Bro driving: 1990 Nissan Pintara TRX 5sp Red, 16" Rozzis, Lukey 4-2-1 ext, 2.5" full exhaust, hi-flow cat, cone cai, stg 3 chip,  low Kings, GT Gas shocks, Urethane bushings, slotted front rotors, 398000k and still going strong; 0-100 in around 7.2-7.4 seconds

Offline ehh

• antrx.com senior member
  • usefull idiot
« Reply #62 on: Jul 25, 2006, 07:32PM »
What you see on Initial-D is pretty much how it is. Although its just Anime, its all based on what realy goes on, most of those cars are the typical options when dirfting in the hills.

well i think the simple fact that they actualy refer to it as "racing" in initial d show's how acurately they were trying to make it portay what goes on in the real world... :P

and for that matter i've never seen any real life footage of any civics(or evo's mind you) up in the mountains of japan trying to drift with the rest of them..
 :)

endounadably old chap

meh

Offline VladIvanovic

• antrx.com junkie
    • My Company/Personal Website
« Reply #63 on: Jul 26, 2006, 01:31PM »
well i think the simple fact that they actualy refer to it as "racing" in initial d show's how acurately they were trying to make it portay what goes on in the real world... :P

and for that matter i've never seen any real life footage of any civics(or evo's mind you) up in the mountains of japan trying to drift with the rest of them..
 :)

just because you havent seen a video doesnt mean it doesnt happen. theyres probably people in those cars doing it, but not many people like recording the evidence?

but there have been some BMI videos where they have taken integras and other sorts thru theyre special touge course they legally use.

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #64 on: Jul 30, 2006, 11:57PM »
What is drifting?
QUOTE: www.driftsession.com
The official definition of a 'drift' according to the Drift Session is, "Exceeding your tires' limits of adhesion, exhibiting a lateral slip, resulting in an oversteered condition. We'll break it down like this: 1. 'Exceeding your tires' limits of adhesion' means that there is no longer enough traction available for your tires to maintain grip with the roadway. This can be caused by numerous things including: using too much horsepower at a given point in time, too great a degree to cornering angle, too much speed carried into a corner, slippery roadway conditions, etc. 2. 'Exhibiting a lateral slip' means that your car is traveling towards a vector that is not consistent with the direction your vehicle is facing; aka your car is facing sideways, but still moving towards the direction you were previously pointed. 3. 'Resulting in an oversteered condition' is basically defined as your vehicle angle being greater than the angle of the corner negotiated. The combination of these three elements is what we will use as the basic components of a 'drift.'

QUOTE AGAIN
Can only Rear Wheel Drive (RWD) vehicles drift?
No. Anything with wheels can drift, and probably some things without wheels too. Based off of the official Drift Session definition for drifting, drifting can be performed in any vehicle regardless of drivetrain type. While being much more difficult to perform drifts in a front wheel drive vehicle is it possible, with the proper technique, to drift them comparably to a RWD. The most common reason why people don't drift FWD vehicles is because it is much harder to do than a RWD and RWD vehicles are more common and affordable in Japan

Pretty easily understood then?
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #65 on: Jul 31, 2006, 04:36PM »
On that note this thread is LOCKED!

*click*

For those playing at home drifting is spelt-

d
r
i
f
t
i
n
g

end of lesson kiddies.
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?