Author Topic: 15 Year Import Rule Abolished! (bad)  (Read 10732 times)

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
Re: 15 Year Import Rule Abolished! (bad)
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2005, 08:48PM »
no. produced more than 15 years ago

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2005, 11:37PM »
I think it means that cars made before Jan 89 or whatever will still be able to come in like they always have been under the 15 year old import rule. For now that will be 15-16 years. The date will stay set to the same date, so next year, it'll become 17 years. The following year, 18 years, etc. When it hits 30 years, the date will change to stay at 30 years.

I guess the idea is that, cars that are x years old (15, to become 30) are of an age where safety/emission standards were different, and so it's unfair to disallow them because they don't comply with standards as it's not the fault of the car or it's manufacturer. Whereas younger cars (Sub 15 years) are considered recent enough to meet these standards.

I also believe that you can't import cars under 15 years old (to become 30) that were sold locally. Eg, you wouldn't be able to import a Commodore from overseas. (bad example but you get the idea).

And if your car of choice is able to be imported, well, the government are going to screw you goatse of thousands of dollars for a small metal plate saying "This car meets ADR's and can be registered and driven in Australia".

Well thats my understanding. I think it's so:

- The government can make thousands of dollars every time you buy a new car locally.
- The government can make thousands of dollars when you import a car from overseas.

Because the government made little money from imports coming under the 15 year old rule. (Amongst a couple other things, eg second hand car market)
« Last Edit: Feb 10, 2005, 11:41PM by Rake »

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #32 on: Feb 11, 2005, 10:16AM »
i really dont see the point in complaining. did you see the previous posts we had made here urging people to contact the government to push to keep the 15 year rule? did you bother writing to the member of parliament in question? probably not.

as for whinging about the government and what its doing.. you're old enough to vote, you can vote for a different government in the hope to make a change.
« Last Edit: Feb 11, 2005, 10:18AM by noss »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #33 on: Feb 11, 2005, 08:17PM »
So, can I or can I not import a nice Peugeot which was built last year, should this fanciful urge arise?
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #34 on: Feb 12, 2005, 08:53AM »
well if u want to complain i got this from prestige motor sport

So you've heard about the insane rule changes announced by the Minister on 7th Feb.  You're struggling to make sense of the so-called 'transitional arrangements' that simply mean a mad rush for 3-weeks, and you are disgusted by the decision which goes against all commonsense and logic.  Perhaps you angry about it all but are not sure what can be done or who to complain to.  Well it is nearly too late, but in politics it is never too late.

We need your help to send letters, faxes, e-mails, or to make phone calls.

If you ever want a GTO, or a Cosmo, a cheap R32 GTR, 300ZX, Series 6 RX-7, EVO, NSX, Mercedes, BMW or a multitude of other models that this change will BAN from our shores, then you need to act now.  And I mean right NOW.  Tonight.  Tomorrow.  If you put it off, or wait until next week, it will be too late.  Would you rather be able to say you at least made an effort, or will you say you stood by and let it happen.  Post a quick letter, send a fax, e-mail if you have to, but do something.  Then tell your friends about the ridiculous changes and ask them to complain too.

Politics is a fickle business.  Some of you may have heard of the trouble that The Hon Jim Lloyd found himself in today.  Poor Jim had a bad day, read here about the rorting allegations:

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,12199513%5E953,00.html

With kind permission we have reproduced the following from the r34skyline website at:    http://www.r34skyline.com/

What can I do to stop this nonsense?
There isn't much point talking to DOTARS, as they will quite happily tell you (off the record) that they are doing it to keep the major car importers happy. DOTARS knows (though doesn't officially admit) that these changes have nothing to do with anything actually mentioned in the press release or FAQ above.

You need to talk to their political masters, soon and loud.

The first one is the Minister for Local Government Territories and Roads, as he made the announcement - The Hon Jim Lloyd
His Parliament House contact details are -

The Hon J. E. Lloyd MP
Member for Robertson
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600
 Ph: (02) 6277 7060
Fax: (02) 6273 7112
Email: [email protected]

Send a letter if you can (fairly quickly), if not then (in order of preference), FAX, ring, or email (politicians tend to ignore email more than they ignore everything else, but it is still better than nothing). He is already under substantial pressure (see this article) so it will be interesting to see his response if a few hundred people start to say how unhappy they are with what he is about to do!

And the same for our Minister for Transport and Regional Services, the Hon John Anderson -

The Hon J. D. Anderson MP
Member for Gwydir
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600
 Ph: (02) 6277 7680
Fax: (02) 6273 4126

The next one to complain to, if you are one of the many small businesses that are going collapse because of this proposal, is the Minister for Small Business and Tourism, the Hon Frances Bailey. Her contact details at parliament are -

The Hon F. E. Bailey MP
Member for McEwen
Parliament House
CANBERRA ACT 2600

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty
    • Antrx
« Reply #35 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:33PM »
From Prestigemotorsports today:

A BIG THANK YOU to all those who have been voicing their concerns to the contacts we have supplied.  We would like to let you know that Kim Beazley and his Office are now fully aware of this issue and are receiving a large volume of correspondence.  We are told that while Kim is very busy with the State election, he is still keen to take Mr. Lloyd to task on the matter so please keep the pressure up as it is having a definite effect.

If you haven't already sent a letter, fax, or e-mail, and you care about this issue, please take 5 minutes at least to dash off a quick e-mail.  Letters and faxes are always better if you have the time.  The response needs to be overwhelming and sustained, and it would also be worthwhile to copy in the media contacts we supplied previously.

Contact details for the Labor Party are as follows:

Kim Beazley - Member for Brand
Federal Labor Leader
 Email:  [email protected]

Parliament House:
Tel:  (02) 6277 4022
Fax:  (02) 6277 8495

Brand Electorate Office:
1/18 Council Avenue
Rockingham, WA, 6168
Toll Free:  1800 016 023
Tel:  (08) 9527 9377
Fax:  (08) 9592 1361
http://www.alp.org.au/people/wa/beazley_kim.php

The Hon Simon Crean MP
Australian Labor Party
Electoral Division of Hotham (Vic)

Parliament House Contact
House of Representatives
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Tel: (02) 6277 4911
Fax: (02) 6277 8547

Electorate Office Contact
Clayton Office:
Clayton Vic 3168

Postal Address:
PO Box 5295
Clayton Vic 3168

Tel: (03) 9545 6211
Fax: (03) 9545 6299

IMPORTANT:     
Remember, you need to give solid reasons for opposing the changes, and real complaints as to the absurd actions of the Govt. on this issue and how it is being handled.  If it affects your business then let them know.  Please encourage anyone you know that feels strongly about this issue to get in touch with the Labor Party this week.  This can be done by e-mail, so it is not difficult and will take only a couple of minutes.

Points to highlight are:

• DOTARS have been trying to sneak the rule changes through without due public and industry consideration and they are ignoring valid opposition to the changes

• The changes to the 15 year rule go against  free trade policies and reduce the public's choice of safe and efficient vehicles.  Why give the big importers a 30 year monopoly when no other product in Australia has the same Government protection ?

• DOTARS arguments of safety and emissions are factually incorrect, and are merely ineffective window dressing

• Given that the decision makes no logical sense and only advantages the large car importers, is there something sinister going on behind the scenes ?  Are we going to see campaign donations to the liberal party ?

• Many thousands of people will be affected by the changes, some will lose their businesses and a significant number of people will be directly and immediately put out of work with only 3 weeks notice

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #36 on: Feb 21, 2005, 03:46PM »
so as i said before.. the people whinging about the rule changes.. have you sent an email yet? have you done anything at all?

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #37 on: Feb 22, 2005, 08:59AM »
yeh i thought not.

Offline WantaTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • 1991 White TRX
« Reply #38 on: Feb 22, 2005, 10:47AM »
I haven't done anything because it has no effect on me whatsoever... I see no problem with this rule... it simply means that ther will be less sheep around.
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #39 on: Feb 22, 2005, 10:50AM »
i'm not importing either, it doesnt affect me in the slightest, yet i've sent an email.

suggesting there will be less sheep is quite incorrect, the advantage i see of the cars becoming available under a 15yr rule is the awesome cars that will be available which arent available any other way.

and i said 'have any of the people that are whinging about the changes done anything?'

i'm sick to death of morons that complain about things yet they do sweet fa about it. so, if you werent whinging, my comment and annoyance doesnt effect you does it?

« Last Edit: Feb 22, 2005, 10:53AM by noss »

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #40 on: Feb 22, 2005, 01:32PM »
yes i have i wrote a letter and sent it to 3 people ....on that list

Offline WantaTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • 1991 White TRX
« Reply #41 on: Feb 22, 2005, 11:34PM »
if you werent whinging, my comment and annoyance doesnt effect you does it?
I wasn't saying i hadn't done anything in rebuttle or anything like that, it was just my way of leaning into the comment that it meant nothing to me... thats all, my bad there

Shawn
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha