Author Topic: $500 chip or $0.00 for timing advance?  (Read 4498 times)

Offline FLOGTARA

• 300ZX FANATIC
  • post whore
  • Your mother's got a wooden leg with a kickstand!
$500 chip or $0.00 for timing advance?
« on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:43PM »
A chip advances timing right.  If you advance the timing on your distributor, u get a power increase.  Is a chip worth buying for only like a 3-4kw upgrade than advancing your timing?

Am i wrong.  Can someone tell me if they have compared the two.  I havnt got a chip but fiddling with the distributor timing and you can get a decent power improvement!

Help please before i go and get 1
1990 Z32 2 Seater N/A 5spd
Mods, modified cats, cat back exhaust, HKS air filter, cyn-r-g lightened flywheel, aluminium underdrive pulley, Super HD clutch.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
Re: $500 chip or $0.00 for timing advance?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:45PM »
since when is a chip $500 :o

Offline Insu

• closet noss lover
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Its time to laugh again!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:52PM »
I believe the chip reprograms the fuel maps, taking away the trofs in power. I dont think it advances the timing at all.
Previously known as Audio Muncher

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Mar 30, 2004, 08:58PM »
if it is possible to advance timing with the ecu they chip will have have advanced timing in the case of an na or sometimes slightly retarted timing for high boost turbo applications.

the antrx chips have modified timing along with many other things.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
  • Dble Up!! 2.0L 4 Cyl (Pinnie)... 4.0L V8 (180sx)
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:29AM »
how much are the antrx chips, how has one and wat sort power increase do they give? are they easy to put in urself? or is it one of those mech jobs???

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty
    • Antrx
« Reply #5 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:32AM »
You should really have done a search before asking that question.

Read this:

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=3043.0

Do a search and you will find further information.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:42AM »
also we have hit a stumbling block with ca20 chips, however i'm slowly working thru a solution to this.

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
  • Dble Up!! 2.0L 4 Cyl (Pinnie)... 4.0L V8 (180sx)
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:58AM »
i jsut looked at those threads, and i am really keen about getting one. So u have chips for the u12 ca20e in stock???

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2004, 09:59AM »
also we have hit a stumbling block with ca20 chips, however i'm slowly working thru a solution to this.

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2004, 06:31PM »
i still cant believe people dont search, its not as if the search bar is hard to find ::)  we even have an advanced search now :o

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2004, 06:53PM »
you have always had advanced search. its just now the search bar is so blatantly stuck in your face you cant miss it.

Offline Resin

• i have 5 studs
  • nsw local moderator
  • post whore
    • Gardening Forum
« Reply #11 on: Mar 31, 2004, 07:16PM »
you have always had advanced search. its just now the search bar is so blatantly stuck in your face you cant miss it.

its not that blatant!? ............oh right it is there at the top.....didnt notice .......it blends in with all the other crap up ther .........it needs to be on its own i think

Offline su8l1m3

• antrx.com junior member
  • makin it wat itis... azis...!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 25, 2004, 05:11PM »
i've been searchin to find out more about advancing my timing for my ca20e...  I haven't really found anything that elaborates on the actual procedure... I kno that it advances the spark so that the fuel burns for longer = more power...  But i'm having trouble finding stuff that explains the how to, how much, and can i do this myself...

i'd appreciate the help...

thanks...

Offline Chadza

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • B4 what?
« Reply #13 on: Jun 25, 2004, 05:24PM »
Once again...there is actually an article about this in FAQ.....FREQUENTLY ASKED QUETSIONS.

But as I have just installed a chip on my car I may as well do a brief writeup on HOW I did things.

How To:

You pay noss money, he sends you a chip. Then you just have to pull out your ECU (under the dash), take it to an electronics store (one that knows what they are doing around circuit boards) and get em to solder in the socket and chip. You pay the electronics store money, take the ECU home, bolt it back in. Hey presto your car is now transformed into a fire breathing monster. (not really..I just heard that on an add recently)

How Much: Ask noss in a PM, or go to the antrx shop section of the forum for mor3e details.

Can You do this yourself: Probably not, unless you work in an electronics shop or have a backrground dealing with multi layered circuit boards. It really will only take 1 hour of your time if the electronics store is quick.

What it does: From what I have heard, and seen from my own Dyno Graph compared to a stock TRX graph, it leans the mixture out to a more optimum 12.7:1 or so. As well it does advance the timing as when i installed my chip my engine pinged quite badly. My timing was 5 degrees advanced over stock, so after that was changed back to stock 15degrees the chip was able to do its thing and presto no more pinging.

Chad
First a Silver TRX, then a White TRX...whats next? Game Boy-Clear style TRX?

Offline rollaboy

• antrx.com junkie
  • i love 4 play (get it, cause i have a 4wd!) hahaha
« Reply #14 on: Jun 25, 2004, 05:49PM »
yep, thats sounds right to me.

as said before, the chip does more than just advance the timing.
if all chips did was advance/retard the timing, there would eb no neeed for them.

the remap ur fuel and whatnot as said before, and provide different mixtures at differnt RPM, and im pretty sure they change the timing of the cams throughout the powerband? correct? Noss would be the best person to find out the specifics from, seeing as he makes the little suckers, id like to think he knows what hes doing!
milk and juice may come in 2 litres, but they dont have turbochargers bolted to the side of em

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #15 on: Jun 25, 2004, 05:55PM »
haha i'd like to think i know what i'm doing too. so far going by dyno sheets i've seen, reports from engine builders, mechanics and every person that has bought a chip so far, i'm on the ball when it comes to the ka24e chip.

just a reminder, i do not yet have ca20e chips, only ka24e.

flogtara ended up buying a ca20e powerchip, he seems to think its pretty good and much better than timing advance.

Offline Pringles

• antrx.com baked not fried
  • post whore
  • ;-) check me out !
« Reply #16 on: Jun 25, 2004, 06:02PM »
if flogger come tonight to harrys, then i should be able to get the old CA20E chips off him and see if we can do anyhting
Check out the Brown Couch !
the ole Nissan caught a cold... puachtuuu..!
i lost a testicle while shaving my scrotum
Jono wasn't here!

Offline su8l1m3

« Reply #17 on: Jun 25, 2004, 06:15PM »
ye thanks for that man...  i was under the impression that you'd be able to change the timing by use of other methods.
I was reading stuff on google in reference to advancing the timing and they were using other methods to do it. hence my question...

In terms of the chips though...  I know that they're available for the ka24 but still waiting on the ca20's...

ps, i'm eagerly awaiting this chip..    :D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #18 on: Jun 25, 2004, 06:21PM »
there are other ways of advancing your timing, however the chip is a more advanced way of doing it but it does more than just that.

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #19 on: Jun 25, 2004, 07:24PM »

you can buy "digital fuel adjusters"from jaycar they dont advance yourr timing but you can change your fuel mapping maybe a option for the ca20e? also says you caan do it "on the road"

"This unit is a huge revolution in DIY automotive performance. It gives you the power to completely tune the air/fuel ratio throughout the entire load range, at 128 load points, providing incredible mapping resolution and brilliant drivability. It uses the Handheld Digital Controller Ц KC5386, so there is no need for a laptop, and it supports both static and real-time mapping. It can be used on 0-5V and 0-12V signals, so it is compatible with all voltage output airflow meters and MAP sensors. It can also be set to work with 0-1V signals, allowing modification of EGO sensor signals. This unit has been extensively tested on a wide range of cars including Subaru Impreza WRX and STi, Nissan 200SX, BMW 735i, Lexus LS400, and Nissan Maxima. Kit supplied with PCB, machined case, and all electronic components. Kit requires the Handheld Digital Controller Ц KC5386."

you also need the contoller/ programmer thingy which is another 80 bucks

"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline su8l1m3

« Reply #20 on: Jun 26, 2004, 02:02AM »
sh*t ay...   that's some pretty heavy tech, how much would that whole setup be...   I think i'd rather wait for the ca20e chip to come through n reap the benifits from it...  I suppose it'll be cheaper than what the above chip is.... 

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #21 on: Jun 26, 2004, 02:14AM »
cool, so its a jaycar version of the apex'i afc.

i guess it should be explained so people understand is that all this unit (along with the apex'i afc and many other cheap or older 'piggy back' units) is that it manipulates the voltage from the air flow meter and 'tricks' the ecu into thinking that it is getting more or less air than what it actually is and therefore making the ecu inject more or less fuel into the engine to correct the mixtures (to stoic) to get power that way.

would be an excellent option for those with minimal mods that want to extract that little bit more power on the cheap.

Offline vector

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #22 on: Jun 26, 2004, 11:07AM »
my thoughts exactly, check jaycar out they got a whole bunch of new car stuff (but no digitalfuel/temp guages :-\)
"Until the philosophy which hold one race superior and another inferior is finally discredited and abandoned...WAR! So that is prophecy, and everyone know that is truth. And it came out of the mouth of Rastafari"

Offline su8l1m3

« Reply #23 on: Jun 28, 2004, 11:59PM »
hey all...   I don't know if this is the relevant section, but i'll post it anyway...   I advanced my timing on my dizz today, (with a few experimentation runs around the block) and i found that i had a power increase, for obvious reasons    :)   ...  Now, what things should i look out for within the next few days? I found that my general engine temp increased slightly, but nothing too drastic. I read these threads about "pinging" but i'm not exactly sure what that sound sounds like, if anyone has a sample sound could u please email it to me or, if anyone has an accurate description as to how it sounds like, that'd be great...   

Noss, or anyone that knows, if i install the the cams ur sellin, will i have to retard my timing back to 5dec btdc? I know i have to with the chip...

ps, it wheelspins so much more easier now as well...   yay!    :D

Offline evenflow_trx

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty
    • Antrx
« Reply #24 on: Jun 30, 2004, 12:18PM »
You don't have to retard your timing when one of the antrx cams are installed.