Author Topic: power window conversion  (Read 3795 times)

Offline sweetu12

• antrx.com junior member
power window conversion
« on: Aug 4, 2014, 03:24PM »
hey i have a pintara t that i would like to put power windows in. i have a corsair ghia parts car but just want to know if i have to swap the whole interior loom or will they just plug into the existing loom in the t

Offline squizz taylor

Re: power window conversion
« Reply #1 on: Aug 4, 2014, 03:37PM »
Someone else on the forums here asked me that same question,  so from experience, here is the actual answer.

Each specification level, t, ti trx, all had different wring harnesses,  and the super hatch and sedan were also different again.

The only way to do it is to take the complete interior harness. If it is a hatch to sedan, or the other way, you will have to modify the harness as well.

It is a shit jod, but deviate is happy with the outcome of having power windows.

Offline Patt93

« Reply #2 on: Aug 4, 2014, 06:33PM »
If re doing the loom is too much of a pain for you. there's other options i put aftermarket power windows in the front as thats all i needed.
http://www.rapidelectronics.com.au/products/2-door-power-windows.html
They do sell kits for all 4. The motor kit fit behind the door card very easily and i used the switch button to cover up where the old winder hole was.
Fairly sure MCM did a viedo on it which would help to watch.
My only addition to that is using a relay switch with a fresh power source and switch from accessory because otherwise they might be too slow for your liking.

Offline sweetu12

« Reply #3 on: Aug 4, 2014, 06:43PM »
ok thanks i will just swap the complete loom from the corsair

Offline deviate

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #4 on: Aug 5, 2014, 06:59PM »
Yes Squizz Iam very happy with my power windows ppossibly the best mod we'vedone to mine 

Offline SR20ME

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #5 on: Aug 5, 2014, 09:33PM »
Mate, if you want any advice with the power window conversion let me know. You don't need the entire loom for every window, just for  drivers side master control switches. Personally if I were to do it again I would use manual windows and get an aftermarket kit. The only downside is a bit more work with drilling to mount the window motors. The guys from Mighty Car Mods did a conversion a few years ago.

This conversion takes a bit of time though so just be patient. Soldering and wrapping electrical tape chews time!

Just remember to use the correct rated fuse, relay and wire it up as according to the factory manual and you won't go wrong!

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #6 on: Aug 6, 2014, 02:13PM »
I did this conversion on my TRX years ago, I did swap the entire main harness, a bit of a pain of a job but wasn't impossible. It also allowed me to retrofit factory central locking and power mirrors too which is a nice bonus.

It plugged into the tail loom and the loom that runs into the engine bay so it's all a plug and play affair, with hardly any need to modify or do much custom work which makes things easy.

You will need to install the door looms as well.

I think it's worth it and because it's all factory parts, everything fits perfectly and it's reliable.

Offline sweetu12

« Reply #7 on: Aug 7, 2014, 12:08AM »
Awesome thanks, yeah was going to do power mirrors and locking at same time

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #8 on: Aug 7, 2014, 02:06AM »
i have a set of power mirrors if you need them.
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #9 on: Aug 7, 2014, 03:09PM »
The Ghia should already have them.

Come to think of it the only mod I recall ever having to do was to fit an extra wire for the oil pressure gauge, as the Corsair lacked this and (for some stupid reason) the Ghia loom was identical to the Ti loom except for this wire (well that, and the 'better' climate control parts). The T lacks this gauge I think so maybe no big deal but just incase you did want to install that dash component (again, do-able).

I also got another passenger front door lock actuator and modified this (basically flipped its gears around) so that it worked on the drivers door. This meant that locking / unlocking the drivers door with the key or by pushing on the knoby thing would -not- lock the other doors automatically, but it DID mean that pressing the button (where the window switches are) would lock all 4 doors and not just the passenger doors. That button is essentailly what you tap into when installing remote central locking / an alarm so it instantly becomes a worthy mod. Again, that just requires a little modification to the loom in the drivers door.

I did all of this 5 years ago now so I can't remember specifics but if you're handy with a multimeter, a wiring diagram and a soldering iron it's pretty easy to figure everything out.

Oh, this mod also gets you the red lights that go on the actual doors as well. So I think it's well worth the effort versus an aftermarket kit. Only problem is the actual window regulators / motors from a now 20-something year old car will probably be a bit flogged out compared to a new part. But I imagine they all work the same, so if I had my way I'd still make use of all the stock electrics, switches, wiring, etc.

The hardest part of the install is removing the dash enough to expose the wiring loom so you can pull it out, also, part of the main interior loom goes back through the firewall on the passenger side for the left hand indicator, removing and installing that was probably the trickiest part of installing the loom itself.

Edit: Take a look at my thread here: Has pictures! http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,8415.msg255833.html#msg255833

Link is direct post to where I started doing the conversion, it spans a few pages from there so have a skim through if there's anything useful. But again I no longer have the car (still miss it a bit) and it's been some years now so everything I've written here is probably as much as I can advise - but if you do have any Q's I'll keep my eye on this thread for a little while. The Foglights required some extra wires be added as well.

You can use your original loom for wires and plugs so it's hardly a big deal. Also, hang onto your original wiring loom -- it's fantastic to be able to take long wires from for any car project. Lots of colours etc to pick from. I still have my TRX loom in a milk crate and even now doing things in my Skyline, I'll just take whatever wire I need from that! Costs nothing!

Edit2: Guide to modding the door lock actuator was on the Wiki which is broken, but a brief mention and some photos of it are here, my thread page 22. Again, with any ingenuity, it's pretty easy. >> http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,8415.msg258176.html#msg258176
« Last Edit: Aug 7, 2014, 03:31PM by Rake »

Offline sweetu12

« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2014, 02:20AM »
cheers thanks heaps for that its made it heaps easier
 :)

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2014, 02:54PM »
Sweet as, good luck with it mate.

Offline pedro666

• post whore
  • VET NEO VVL is how I roll...
« Reply #12 on: Aug 13, 2014, 03:21PM »
great info rake, good to see you back. i missed the bit where he had a donor car  ::).
the words "race car" spelled backward still spell "race car"? 

skype_shannan801