Author Topic: 6X9's on rear shelf  (Read 2914 times)

Offline colliwogs

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
  • new kid on the block
6X9's on rear shelf
« on: Jan 17, 2005, 02:01PM »
Hey Peepz,

Sorry for the stupid question (feel free to shout abuse  :D ) but i was just wondering if 6x9's would fit in the rear shelf of a 91 nissan Pintara TI hatch without any other drilling or cutting. I was just wondering as Im gonna be buying a new HU soon and was also planning on getting some 6x9's to replace the stock clarion 6" currently in the back.

Thanks!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
Re: 6X9's on rear shelf
« Reply #1 on: Jan 17, 2005, 07:52PM »
no, you'll need spacers of some sort, but depending on their height, they may hit the window

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2005, 08:54PM »
Sorry for the stupid question (feel free to shout abuse :D ) but i was just wondering if 6x9's would fit in the rear shelf of a 91 nissan Pintara TI hatch without any other drilling or cutting

It's not a stupid question :)

As SSStick said you'll definitely need some spacers.  Also it's illegal to cut any metal out of your parcel shelf so dont be tempted to cut the metal, just the wood.

Offline colliwogs

• new kid on the block
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2005, 07:52PM »
thanks for the replies peepz!

So i cant just fit spacers for the default 6" mounts?
If not i might just buy some better 6" speakers instead because i dont really wanna put big blocks of MDF on my parcel shelf!

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2005, 08:16PM »
just build some risers outta 16mm mdf they will look allright once they are carpeted and 16mm was enough for my alpine 6x9's.....but i did the whole parcel shelf.

[Barnett]
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2005, 09:17PM »
yeah, what is getting at with the window was that some of the prefab spacers are about 40mm which will probabaly hit the window, so do as Stocko said and make them out of 16mm MDF

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

Offline BoGAn

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2005, 08:17AM »
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=3455.0

Do that, Then make up spacers from 16mm MDF. Angle the edges of the spacers with a router and 45* bit if you have access to one, otherwise spend some time sanding. Cover the whole lot with carpet and screw in your speakers. Just make sure you repeatedly test fit everything before actually putting it all together as you need to be spot on to clear the window and the metal of the parcel shelf.

I used black house carpet which is not very easy to mould over ridges. Consequently its not smooth, but you cant see it thru the back window anyway as its pretty dark. I have made two more shelves like this for mates and used the carpet that sub boxes are covered in, with much flashier results.

Offline colliwogs

• new kid on the block
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2005, 01:46AM »
ok, i think id just rather put some better 6"s in for now, i mean i can always fit a sub in later if i want more OOMPH...... :)

Any suggestions for good 6"s with semi-decent bass (knowingly not as good as 6x9's)? I was checking out the Kenwood range in particular......

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2005, 08:24AM »
pioneer TSA1680s - 4way 220w, ive got a pair in my car, sound tops and are cheap atm - $130

Offline colliwogs

• new kid on the block
« Reply #9 on: Jan 26, 2005, 04:17PM »
ahh ok cool... anyone have any problems with the kenwoods? theyre going VERY cheap atm!

Offline Milford

• resident clown
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Jan 27, 2005, 05:51PM »
i just bought plastic spacers, couldnt be stuffed making them

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2005, 08:08PM »
sunday ill be buliding a another parcel shelf with "pods" built into it, ill keep u posted

Offline bruda

• antrx.com junior member
  • Look at the lion dance!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2005, 12:31PM »
I know I had a pain-in-the-ass time trying to fit my 6x9's into the parcel shelf of my Toyota Corona, would never attempt it again!

Tas: Also it's illegal to cut any metal out of your parcel shelf so dont be tempted to cut the metal, just the wood.

Bugger, I hope that doesnt affect the sale of my car  :-\ I had to cut a little bit to fit the speaker cones, but it's not that noticable  :-[
Homer: Marge, what's that tool you use to dig...food?
Marge: You mean a spoon?
Homer: Spoon, YAH YAH!

Offline WantaTRX

• antrx.com senior member
  • 1991 White TRX
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2005, 12:03AM »
if you don't mind supercheap spacers they fit perfectly fine... and the 6x9 magnet sits in the 6" hole thats already there...
quote from my friend "my VN will kick your 4 cylinder car's ass, coz its a 6 cylinder" haha