ported with magnet speaker facing out
0 (0%)
ported with speaker facing in
1 (5.6%)
i'm gay and don't like bass
2 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: Nov 27, 2004, 12:49AM

Author Topic: Sub direction  (Read 8957 times)

Offline TRX_wnb

• antrx.com full member
  • No TV?!? whats all your furniture pointed at???
Sub direction
« on: Nov 6, 2004, 12:49AM »
pretty self explanatory really, just curious as to who says what...and let us know why you chose that (avoid rattles, maximise low frequency tones, acoustic perfection  :P)

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
Re: Sub direction
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6, 2004, 07:40AM »
it comes down to your ears, move it round and judge for your self. theres no "set" direction. just have a play and c how it goes
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #2 on: Nov 6, 2004, 07:55AM »
To get the most spl out of a u12 pintara you fire the subs towards the front of the vechile with the port fioring the same way but if your after sq you fire them back and get rear loaded affect witch makes the bass much nicer and clean and you cant hear the cone movement. 

Offline TRX_wnb

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 6, 2004, 08:14PM »
thanks beefy, thats a pretty good response i'd say! i'd found for best sound quality, face away from driver so that ties in with what you say...

Offline Barnett

• antrx.com senior member
  • Not So Stock Ride, Banging Your Mum 24/7 :D
« Reply #4 on: Nov 7, 2004, 01:56PM »
with my s-type 12 running a 250w max alpine amp. i have mine in the back left hand corner (looking at boot from the rear of the car) facing across the boot. i used to have it right behind the back seat facing into the car. moving it to the back left hand corner doubled the bass no shit :D:D:D. single 12" in a sealed box.

[Barnett]
Mmmmm Turbo Mini Chopper Anyone?

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #5 on: Nov 7, 2004, 02:40PM »
with my s-type 12 running a 250w max alpine amp. i have mine in the back left hand corner (looking at boot from the rear of the car) facing across the boot. i used to have it right behind the back seat facing into the car. moving it to the back left hand corner doubled the bass no shit :D:D:D. single 12" in a sealed box.

[Barnett]

Is that inbetween the taillights and rear wheel arches? Does it leave plenty of boot space? The thing that gets me with manu audio sub installs is how they kill all the cargo space. And if it sounds good too, well hey :)

Offline Barnett

« Reply #6 on: Nov 7, 2004, 05:39PM »
here's a pic to show you where it is :D

if you want more bass and have a moveable sinlge 12" i reccommend trying this :D works for me! (d*mn thats dirty i should really clean that ahhaha)

[Barnett]

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: Nov 7, 2004, 05:46PM by The Not So Stock Ride »

Offline trxmad

• post whore
« Reply #7 on: Nov 7, 2004, 08:40PM »
wow.. ive never seen a set up like this b4

is the bass louder on one side if your outside the car?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #8 on: Nov 7, 2004, 09:32PM »
has anyone ever considered a setup like this:

a sub box, made of fibreglass, that is moulded into the side of the boot.  It means that it doesn't really get in the way, so you can still use almost as much as without a sub. 

I'm thinking of doing it when I get a sub, because I regularly have my boot full and a conventional sub box would have to be removed a fair bit.

*the box was obviously unfinished when the photo was taken to show how it was built.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
« Reply #9 on: Nov 7, 2004, 10:00PM »
Yeah that's exactly what I'd like to do. Got a completed photo of that subbox?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #10 on: Nov 7, 2004, 10:16PM »
nope, I've looked for one but can't find it :( It's off the FHRX website http://www.fhrxstudios.com/

EDIT: heres a similar setup:  http://www.fastfoursforumscarclub.com/temp/fhrxstudios/images/seca_5.jpg
« Last Edit: Nov 7, 2004, 10:21PM by TasR.X »

Offline Colzie

• Type X BITCH!
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #11 on: Nov 7, 2004, 10:51PM »
i have mine facing towards the rear of the car on the passenger side, its fine...
get in my pants!

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #12 on: Nov 8, 2004, 09:07AM »
I need to secure mine... its moves around alot, stupid boot.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Barnett

« Reply #13 on: Nov 8, 2004, 05:40PM »
i had that problem budgie then i found some alloy angle lying around and then screwed that to the top of my box then 1 or 2 random metlas screws into the side of my car :D doesn't move a millimetre now :D and i drive pretty hard round corners and sh*t.

[Barnett]
« Last Edit: Nov 9, 2004, 04:27PM by The Not So Stock Ride »

Offline concept9

• antrx.com full member
  • SR20DETR.X
« Reply #14 on: Nov 8, 2004, 06:09PM »
so when did you change your name from Barnett to Banrett?  :P

i have always had my subs facing the rear of the car. when i installed them i was told by the guys at strathfield that you will get a better sound facing them towards the boot. they go hard for 10inch subs (2x Pioneer VCCS) and one of my mates has commented on how much he could've saved if he had a set-up like mine. he just brought some second hand alpine stuff but he still reckons my system sounds better....and it was about 1/3 of the price of his  ;D

my sub box has never really moved more than a few cm's to the left or right, i think it's becuase the carpet on the box rubs against the carpet i've put underneath it on a solid wooden base, so it doesn't really 'slide' any more.

Offline TRX_wnb

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #15 on: Nov 8, 2004, 09:41PM »
has anyone ever considered a setup like this:

wouldnt that give some weird acoustics?

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #16 on: Nov 9, 2004, 01:49AM »
No idea, I was hoping one of the audio gurus would say something about it.  It could possibly sound a bit odd because of the irregular shaped back of the box, but otherwise I don't see how it would sound much different to The Not So Stock Ride's setup. 

Of course you'd have to make sure the fibreglass is thick enough and possibly use kevlar to reinforce it, but that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Offline Loop

• Token Old Fart
  • antrx.com junkie
  • Old and busted ...
« Reply #17 on: Nov 9, 2004, 02:26AM »
It could possibly sound a bit odd because of the irregular shaped back of the box, but otherwise I don't see how it would sound much different to The Not So Stock Ride's setup. 

The shape of the box really only adds "colour" to the sound if the box is in certain proportions - apparently this can cause internal resonance in the box.

Of course you'd have to make sure the fibreglass is thick enough and possibly use kevlar to reinforce it, but that wouldn't be a problem for me.

Dunno about kevlar, but yeah, make the fibreglass nice and thick so it doesn't flex and you are good to go.  Add some wadding in there (dacron pillow filling is fine) and you can make some very neat boxes.
209rwkW stock ... yes, it's a U12!!

Offline Barnett

« Reply #18 on: Nov 9, 2004, 04:32PM »
so when did you change your name from Barnett to Banrett? :P

your lucky you drive a corsair mate ;) :P or there could have been tears...

if i was building a box like that fiberglass one, which is a great idea. i would try and get as much mdf round the back as i could. this would save fiberglas, but also make it stronger and better sound.

[ttenraB]...Did I Get It Right Concept? :P

Offline concept9

• antrx.com full member
  • SR20DETR.X
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2004, 10:21AM »
yeah at least they're in the right order this time  :P   you're forgiven haha  ::)

a mate i work with that once had a VL (the one that got stolen  :'() had two pioneer subs in the boot which he placed directly under the parcel shelf. he put two big port holes in the back shelf and the sound that he got from the subs was great, this would probably be a bit harder to do in the corsairs though....

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2004, 03:30PM »
if i was building a box like that fiberglass one, which is a great idea. i would try and get as much mdf round the back as i could. this would save fiberglas, but also make it stronger and better sound.

I've helped repair a one foot wide hole in a fibreglass yachts hull that is about 1.6inches thick before.. I think I can make a fibreglass box nice and strong without using wood :P  ;)

Offline Barnett

« Reply #21 on: Nov 11, 2004, 06:50PM »
i mean for diy purposes like saving on fiberglass, and for sound i think you would need mostly mdf coz fiberglass is not gonna let it have a good sound...thats what i think anyway....coz in a DIY situation i dont think that you are gonna be able to make a box thick as, well you could but its gonna take a damn while....ehehhehe

[Barnett]

Offline Jake

• antrx.com junior member
  • Drive it like you stole it!!
« Reply #22 on: Dec 22, 2004, 01:55PM »
i have a 15" which i have moved around and experimented with but i get best results through facing it to the rear of the car. more defined bass, not as punchy
Rev it! Drop it! Smoke it!

Offline sik_corsair

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #23 on: Dec 22, 2004, 10:30PM »
hey, wot u mean dricelty under the parcel shelf in the commy ??? with ports ??? im confused
smitdogg

Offline concept9

• antrx.com full member
  • SR20DETR.X
« Reply #24 on: Dec 24, 2004, 10:36AM »
well basically in the VL's there is enough room to put the subs directly under the parcel shelf and facing up. so with the port holes (basically just cut holes in the parcel shelf....although he replaced the shelf with 18mm MDF.....then put plastic ports in the shelf) the bass gets directed up into the cabin cuz it reflects off the glass. and because the air is free to move in the boot and out the holes there is no vibrations or anything.

Offline Sheldon

• antrx.com junkie
  • The Beasty Beast
« Reply #25 on: Dec 26, 2004, 12:37AM »
wow  using the entire boot as like a box is awesome lol that would have been really loud
If only the KA24E was KA24ET!!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2004, 07:58PM »
i would have thought that would be too much air, subs only need like 1.25 cubic feet to work properly, alth that depends on the sub too of course

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2004, 08:16PM »
yes it does vary as to the sub firstly the size i.e a 10" doesn't usually need as much air as a 15"

and then type of sound you want out of your subs, a bigger box will usually give you a more rumbly type of bass whereas a smaller box is typically used for more punch

and then depending on the actual sub as to how big you want to make your box i.e. earthquake subs are commonly known for wanting a larger box whereas something like rockford fosqate don't quite like large boxes
"Noss is God"

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #28 on: Dec 28, 2004, 08:49PM »
exactly but a whole boot??? thats like 3-4 cubic feet, poosibly more in a vl, i would have thought it'd sound too droneish

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2004, 12:01AM »
ummmm stick, a boot is a shiteload more than 3-4 cubic feet, my two boxes for my 12's are 3 cubic feet total(well a little over, not exactly 3 feet)

also i don't think a vl boot is too much bigger than ours

but where did this whole boot thing as a box come from ??

well basically in the VL's there is enough room to put the subs directly under the parcel shelf and facing up. so with the port holes (basically just cut holes in the parcel shelf....although he replaced the shelf with 18mm MDF.....then put plastic ports in the shelf) the bass gets directed up into the cabin cuz it reflects off the glass. and because the air is free to move in the boot and out the holes there is no vibrations or anything.

wow using the entire boot as like a box is awesome lol that would have been really loud

i think sheldon might be a little confused by the post i don't believe he meant the whole boot was the box (cause then the subs would just be free air) rather he meant the subs are boxed with them facing upwards and the box sitting under the parcel shelf with the ports inline with ports installed in the parcel shelf.......... right :-\

and yes your right the bass would sound too 'droneish' as you put it, there'd simply be no punch to the bass cause it wouldn't be able to compress the air quick enough or with enough force
« Last Edit: Dec 29, 2004, 12:03AM by weasel »
"Noss is God"