Author Topic: Keeping ur amp cool in the heat  (Read 9982 times)

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
  • Dble Up!! 2.0L 4 Cyl (Pinnie)... 4.0L V8 (180sx)
Re: Keeping ur amp cool in the heat
« Reply #30 on: Jun 3, 2005, 03:44PM »
i dont think amps are made of aluminium, as they retain heat really well... not a good idea for an amp....

Offline omad

• antrx.com senior member
  • that's MR. Monkey to you...
« Reply #31 on: Jun 3, 2005, 03:47PM »
i dont think amps are made of aluminium, as they retain heat really well... not a good idea for an amp....

I suppose it would be a rediculous idea to use them for computer heatsinks as well  ::)
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #32 on: Jun 3, 2005, 11:15PM »
I suppose it would be a rediculous idea to use them for computer heatsinks as well  ::)

and i spose thats why on the good heatsinks, the part that touches the core is made of copper.... and in sum cases, the whole thing....  ;)

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #33 on: Jun 5, 2005, 09:50PM »
Most amplifiers have aluminium or similare alloy heatsinks.
Exactly right.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Virus

• Cpt Sense Of Direction
« Reply #34 on: Jun 5, 2005, 11:59PM »
and i spose thats why on the good heatsinks, the part that touches the core is made of copper.... and in sum cases, the whole thing....  ;)

Yeah so i guess thats why this http://www.pccasegear.com/prod1703.htm heatsink isnt made of Alu  ::)

\end sarcasm

Aluminium is a very good conductor of heat(not as good as copper), which is why companies like Intel and AMD mainly use Alu in their stock heatsink.
If it wasnt very good then they may as well make it out of Steel.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #35 on: Jun 6, 2005, 10:55PM »
Why the fuck would you say heatsinks on amp's etc arnt made of alu, most electronic components use alumnium heatsinks to help them remain cool, open up your power supply and have a look whats over it mate.. Do your research before talking.. Yes they have brought out copper heatsinks but u must remember copper is expensive.

edit : dont open ur PSU unless you know what ur doing.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #36 on: Jun 6, 2005, 11:20PM »
your right, why the fuck would i say that, cause i didnt, have a closer look at what i said.. i said the amp CASE... not heat sink inside... u should read before you talk....

Offline omad

« Reply #37 on: Jun 7, 2005, 01:59AM »
The amps 'casing' as you call it, is usually it's heatsink. As that's the way it dissapates heat away from the internal components.

I never meant this to start a sh!t fight or flame war, just pointing out some things that I've noticed/learned/read.

I wasn't taking a dig at you putting a fan on your amp, LowGli.. I was just stating that it's generally better practice to mount a fan so it blows over the amp's heatsink, not just directly on one section of it.

Though, dude... you really do need to do at least a little reading & research before trying to prove a point that you're not even sure of. Yes, some parts of an amp's 'casing' are made of different metals, but as I said just before, the bulk of a car audio amp's exposed 'casing' is it's heatsink(s).

Take one apart and have a look for yourself :)  (providing you're confidant and your warranty period has passed ;))
« Last Edit: Jun 7, 2005, 02:00AM by omad »
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline LoW GLi

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #38 on: Jun 7, 2005, 09:12AM »
well i was talking about my case in particular, if u have a look at this link
http://www.pbase.com/brind0g/image/26503908
ull see that there are alu fins on the side, under the case (where the little cut outs are) and i found that the rest of the casing is sum sort of alloy compound...
so blowing air across the fins on my amp would almost be pointless as you would get no air to it.... edit** its also a 120mm with a high cfm, cant remember exactly, so it performs a bit better than a shitty 80mm out of a psu..

with computer heatsinks, psu's and most other heatsinks, the fan is usually directly attached to the heatsink, or very damn close... so that i why i mounted the fan that way, and beleive this way ir more practical in my case... of course it would vary depending on the design from amp to amp...

i didnt mean to cause a shit fight either, i shouldofi been a bit clearer about what i was talking about...

/end flame war
« Last Edit: Jun 7, 2005, 09:14AM by LoW GLi »

Offline omad

« Reply #39 on: Jun 7, 2005, 11:05AM »
Just a note: the reason that fans are mounted directly onto computer heatsinks is because the fan covers the total arear of the cooling fins. If you had a 200-300mm fan the application over the top would be a different debate :P

Though, I do have to say... that's a pretty shit setup for your amp I just noticed, particularly if the stock fan isn't cooling it enough... there are shrouds over everything! you can physically see about 1/50th of the heatsink! I guess even if the ends of the HS were exposed, they'd probably be exhausting the air being output be the stock fan....

That really seems like a pretty stupid design... Well done boss! :P

PS - I did look at that link before just didn't take as much notice ;)
Got Grip?

VR4 Action.

Offline pintara_boy

• antrx.com full member
  • (A) SLEEP
« Reply #40 on: Aug 17, 2005, 11:21PM »
if you find that Ur amplifier is really hot common sense would be to turn the sub off or down if u have adjustable sub controll. what i do when my amp gets hot is pull down both rear seats and open the to front windows , so then you draw cold air in to the boot therefore hopefull dropind the temperature coming from the amp.

Amp cooling fans are available at CAR TOYS Adelaide and most automotive retailers around the place they just power up off the amp 12 DC.