Author Topic: Response Amps - Opinions  (Read 4744 times)

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
Response Amps - Opinions
« on: Jul 12, 2003, 07:02PM »
Is anyone here running Jaycar Response amps? (In particular the large 4x100RMS amp)

I know it makes good power - appparently came out at 4x124RMS in a mag review, but is the sound quality any good? As I want it to run the front splits on 2 channels and sub(s) bridged on the other two.

Cheers
Richard
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
Re:Response Amps - Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2003, 07:51PM »
Mate...........talk to me, I have that exact amp, and running i the same config. as you want to. That is 2 X front splits, and the remaing 2 X for the sub.
The rear fill is running off my deck.
this amp sounds great (good speakers help too) and Is WORTH EVERY CENT!

In the BANG FOR YOUR BUCK group for sure.

Offline deanx0r

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2003, 07:51PM »
From my occasional reading of the teamcaa.com forums, it seems that most people agree they're damn good value amps for what they cost, however don't offer fantastic SQ, but do offer plenty of power for those looking at SPL.

But do keep in mind that a large majority of the people on teamcaa are pretty damn serious about their amps/stereos... and are probably used to listening to $1000+ amps.

In my opinion if you're after a good value amp with perfectly acceptable SQ then they're a damn good buy, but if budget permitted there are better SQ amps available.

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #3 on: Jul 13, 2003, 01:31AM »
I can get response gear @ wholesale prices, so let me know if u're gonna get one...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13, 2003, 02:12PM »
Dude I am planning to use that EXACT same setup ! 2 channels running my splits and the other 2 bridged for the sub :) I am also planning to use some of those $100 Jaycar splits for the front and maybe some Jaycar 6" rounds for the back. Do you get good prices on all jaycar stuff man ?

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #5 on: Jul 13, 2003, 03:11PM »
I can get response gear @ wholesale prices, so let me know if u're gonna get one...

*smiles* w000000000t much karma from my amp and wiring kit!, btw i gotta talk to you bout those splits!
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline Joczy

• antrx.com junkie
  • feed me guiness
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2003, 05:00PM »
jaycar stuff is good, ive got the 2x100wrms bridged for my sub which is also a jaycar item, for an amp at a bit less than 200 bucks which my dad got it for, it does a great job

:smiliedisco1:
"It's darkest before dawn so if u want to steel ur neighbours newspaper thens the time to do it"

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2003, 05:43PM »
Do you get good prices on all jaycar stuff man ?

Between 20 and 30% off most of the car audio stuff... I'll be away this week, but let me know what u want and i'll get u some prices...
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2003, 07:14PM »
Good response (no pun intended) to my question guys, thanks.

I am planning to run decent 6 1/2 splits (probably Focals at around $400), an eclipse/jvc/blaupunct head unit - still shopping on that 1 but got my eye on the  jvc KDS895 (4x50max, remote control, multicolour lcd, 2 preouts - approx $400), response 4x100RMS amp ($400), and then 1 or 2 12 inch subs- need to shop around for these ($400-total budget $1600..shop should throw wiring in!).

I won't have any rear fill to start with (its for my soon to have R33) so being a 2 door I might not need it (with good high power front)...if I do, then I will run them some 6 1/2 coaxials off the deck. My aim is to get decent sound without heaps of weight gain, so I don't want heaps of subs and multiple amps.

Questions:

That amp is rated at 2x300RMS at 4ohm bridged. Does anyone know if it is stable at 2ohm when bridged? If not, is there a way to wire 2 subs so that each will get 300 RMS by using only 2 channels of this amp? Would this be achieved by series wiring 2 DVC subs so that they each are 8ohm and then parallel wiring them to the 2 bridged channels? Its been a few years since I installed my current stereo..I am a bit rusty.  

Also, I've read that the amp has variable input from 0.25 to 2.5 volts...this is good if you have a crap head unit (low output) but I have an equaliser that has a 12 volt variable output....I guess I won't get higher than 2.5?

Aussie_gli, I can get them for $383 from a wholesale dealer (not jaycar) over here in WA...can you do better? (have to add p&h onto your figure also).

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2003, 07:46PM by fmx_rider »
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #9 on: Jul 14, 2003, 02:18AM »
If he can get 20% - 30% off the Car Audio stuff then thats a huge bloody saving ! *bows down before the discount bringer*

Offline mitza

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #10 on: Jul 15, 2003, 12:53AM »
Just for the record, I bought a Pioneer GMX562 today. Its last years model, 2 X 65W RMS and 1 X 200 RMS. Mate using it for front end splits. SOunds really good. Must admit, and we got it for $240 from Jb Hi Fi. Thats pretty damn cheap for that model too.
Just another Amp I reconmend!

James

« Reply #11 on: Jul 15, 2003, 08:26PM »
yeah i think those Jaycar amps are extremely good in the bang for you buck department! it would seem that are hard to beat for the price! fmx, dude, i can vouch for the eclipse head units, they rock, which one are u looking at? ive got the 5441 with the 5v preout, i have absolutly zero audible interfernce/noise  ;D

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #12 on: Jul 16, 2003, 01:49PM »
clarity of your music also depends on the quality of the signal from your head unit.. i never thought there would be a noticable difference but there is..

just as an example, a 4 year old entry level head unit running thru and average amp sounds like crap & distorts at much lower volumes compared to a high end head unit running thru the same amp.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

James

« Reply #13 on: Jul 16, 2003, 09:52PM »
yeah my headunit was too cheap either, $900  :o haha, not heaps but enough  :P

Offline pintara_boy

• antrx.com full member
  • (A) SLEEP
Re: Response Amps - Opinions
« Reply #14 on: Aug 18, 2005, 07:38PM »
Yea response amps are good iv got a 4 channel 780 total RMS amp running 6 1/2 splits in the front and my sub in the boot the system pumps serious bass.

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
Re: Response Amps - Opinions
« Reply #15 on: Aug 19, 2005, 10:39AM »
Im buying a 2 Chan 500wrms amp for my sub this week. Hope its as good as people say they are!