Author Topic: Following your advice  (Read 3239 times)

BlakeyBoyR

Following your advice
« on: Apr 12, 2003, 07:20PM »
  Well my non-sub idea didnt seem to get much praise :P So I was thinking maybe having the head, running my rears of the head, using the other 2 outs for my 4ch amp, THEN running my fronts and a sub off the amp. Sound ok ? Im trying to figure out the cheapest way to do this. Any suggestions ? Second hand is looking like a possibility but obviously Id rather buy new. Im going for bang for mu buck

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
Re:Following your advice
« Reply #1 on: Apr 13, 2003, 12:28AM »
Again how much u wana spend u cant be help unless u tell us

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2003, 11:15AM »
i wouldnt say that your non sub system didnt get much praise.. i think some people also forget that some people dont have money to spend on a certain system, or that they just want something simple that is nice & clear & does the job.

good cheap 6x9s to get are the blue poly cone 3ways from super cheap which sell for about $70. they are excellent quality for the money. i ran them off the head unit in my celica and they did a fantastic job.

if you want to run splits, you should run them off an amp, so this will make this an out of the question option. just get some good 3 ways for the front as well, i find that kenwood 3 ways are excellent, get something around 130 or 150w.

then get a decent head unit, something like an entry level jvc or kenwood unit with at least 4x45w. you can pick these up for about $280-350

6x9's will provide plenty of bass for you for the time being, forget about all this sub bass hype, mid bass will satisfy the majority of people, and then when you can afford it, later on you can add a sub & an amp. grab one of those cheap sony 222w or 444w amps, and a 10" or 12" sub for around the $180 mark in a premade box. there will be a little extra installation for you, but in the end it will all be worth it.

i used to have a 4x45w head unit, 130w pioneer 2ways and 140w kenwood 3ways just running off the head unit. and that did a fantastic job for me for around a year. it was only when a mate sold me his kenwood amp that i ended up buying another amp & a sub. until then, that simple setup worked a treat.

in my celica, i had a 4x30w head unit, cheap no name brand 3 ways in the front, and the 6x9s in the back. i probably should of upgraded the head unit, but seriously, it all did the job quite well and the 6x9s served their purpose well.

otherwise, you suggestion above with the 4 channel amp, sub, and rears off the head is a good option to go, but you'd be looking at spending a fair ammount of cash. but its a very good idea. as i suggested before, check out large chain stores for their discount offers, or check out the local cash converters or other 2nd hand store that buys the old stock of the chain stores, so its brand new, never used & half the price, and you get the option of layby too.

for bang for you buck, get all jaycar equipment. you can get everything you need from them except the head unit & all for a decent price. and its good quality gear too.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2003, 12:40PM »
Around $700 would be the most Id want to spend, so this sub idea would be a little hard to do for that kind of money unless I went second hand Im guessing.

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2003, 04:07PM »
for $700 you'll be able to get a decent head unit and a decent pair of 6x9s, go have a listen to the quality of this then make up your mind, if i  had $700 to spend on a system i'd go for this option, all personal preference really... best advice could be to go listen to systems in cars then make up your mind.
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #5 on: Apr 13, 2003, 07:08PM »
hehe i can see i'll have to get my mate to bring his integra on a future cruise, to demonstrate what a non-sub system can do  :)
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #6 on: Apr 13, 2003, 08:32PM »
lol can you stop blowing over your mates tegra hehehehehe

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #7 on: Apr 13, 2003, 11:09PM »
for $700, aim to spend about $300-400 on a head unit, and then around $150 on front 6" speakers, and then about $180 on a set 6x9's then you'd have a decent system installed (diy of course)

then about $350 and a little bit of saving/layby time down the track, you could get a decent 12" sub in a premade box along with a sony 222w or a jaycar amp to power it.

and thats an estimate on brand new brand name equipment (such as sony, kenwood & jvc)

Offline jimsair

• antrx.com junior member
  • Got rice?
« Reply #8 on: Apr 14, 2003, 11:42AM »
to make bass you have to move air, subs move a hell of a lot more air than a 6" speaker this is due to the surface area difference. so if this tegras making all that bass it must be defying physics so congratulations are due to your mate i must say.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Apr 14, 2003, 01:30PM »
my dad has a AU falcon ute. it has factory speakers, which are only located in the doors (ie. no rear speakers). he has had a kenwood head unit installed. it provides decent bass.

i think everyone should stop hassling imaspy over his mate, cause his mates car could quite possibly sound bassy enough. people dont always need a sub to be happy with bass levels. they dont even always need 6x9s to have enough bass.

the shape/size of the interior or the location of/how the speakers are mounted might also help with the sound produced.

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2003, 10:11AM »
indeed it does, i put my speakers on those mounting things.... plastic pieces that focus the speaker into the cabin rather than into the rear window, apparently it makes a huge difference but i havent personally heard a system in a car similar to mine so yeh.... only downside to this setup is that they are a fucking advertising campaign for theives.....

must agree with you there noss, not everyone needs a sub to be happy with bass levels, i need a better head unit, this one came with the car, some ultravox thing... you can control bass and treble levels but the thing that distorts the most is the midrange, which on my head unit, is uncontrolable....

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2003, 12:50PM »
$700?? hmmm im not so sure that isnt enough money to get a sub and amp.
with deals i have seen recently u could get:
Pioneer 50Wx4(brand new model) + 220W pioneer 6x9's - $330
JBL 6x4s (fukn great speakers) $120

leaving $250 for a sub and amp. those 222w sony amps are around $200ish arent they??
hmmmmmmmm, yeh ok, u would be like $120 short.
but,
if u wanted to go cheap with the sub and amp and get a boss audio 2 channel amp + 10 inch sub in box, all together for $200. leaving u $50 for the wires needed to install it.

P.S. i have an older boss audio amp powering a 12 inch sub atm, and it does the job just fine. buy that package and later if u had more money to spend, for another $89 u could put in a kicker 10 inch to replace the boss 10 inch.
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline imaspy

• Captain Chaos
  • vic local moderator
  • post whore
  • DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUHHHN!!!!
    • A collection of some of my photography
« Reply #12 on: Apr 15, 2003, 02:29PM »
to make bass you have to move air, subs move a hell of a lot more air than a 6" speaker this is due to the surface area difference. so if this tegras making all that bass it must be defying physics so congratulations are due to your mate i must say.

or maybe just congrats to the guy at millenium car audio who obviously knows his shit  :smiliedisco1:  hehehe gotta love smileys ;D
You have friend, I have friend. My friend go to your house, put bomb under your floor and blow you to fucking sky!

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #13 on: Apr 15, 2003, 05:59PM »
The cheapest way I can see this working out is

JVC mp3 head (the cheapest mp3 head they got, new model) $330
Jaycar Kevlar Splits $199
Jaycar splits (non kevlar) or 6x4's $80 or $120
Sony 444w 4 channel amp $150
Sony 700w sub in enclosure $150

Thats still a bit expensive though