Author Topic: need some advice  (Read 2807 times)

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
need some advice
« on: Aug 31, 2003, 06:44PM »
i'm going to be getting splits up front and a sub or two for the boot i was wondering whether or not its worth getting 6x9s for the parcel shelf or if i should just get 6"s? if so what should i be looking for 3 ways? 4 ways? any help would be appreciated. :)

Mr Trx

Re:need some advice
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2003, 07:02PM »
dont waste your money on 6x9;s just get a good pair of 6"'s such as boston or alpine's 6x9 are mainly used for their bass so its just money and time wastin.  8)

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2003, 07:31PM »
Yeah I agree with Mr Trx, don't bother getting 6x9's if your getting a sub, not worth the cost, plus the effort of making a parcel shelf for them. The speakers in the back only act as a rear fill, so i wouldn't waste my money on 4 ways. I don't have any speakers in the back, it doesn't worry me because front stage is what it's all about. As for the rear passengers, well  :P

I don't know what your budget is, but I've only heard good things about the Jaycar 6.5in Kevlar splits for around the $190 mark.  They can take up to 90wrms with no problems and are great bang-for-your-buck. Don't bother getting splits if your not going to run them off an amp btw, they'll won't be anywhere near their full potential and you'll be very disappointed.

Sound deadening your doors will improve the quality even more, and is strongly recommended. Super cheap have the tar stuff for $30 and it does its job quite well.

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Sep 2, 2003, 01:04AM »
ok thanks for the help guys, so your saying if i get splits up front i should get an amp for the front aswell? or just run em off the amp for the sub(s)

Offline bungs

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Sep 2, 2003, 02:00AM »
It really depends on your budget. This is the sort of system i have planned for my next car:

-Headunit (already have this:alpine 9807, $499)
-Hertz Energy 165mm 2 Way Splits $199 at http://www.webaudiodirect.com/
-some kind of rear fill (already have these, pioneer 150w 6.5in,$100 + $20 for caps to high pass them)
-1 subwoofer (haven't decided what yet, $150-200ish)
- jaycar 4x100 amp, 2 channels bridged to give 300wrms to the sub, the other 2 100wrms running the splits, $350)
-sound deadening, cables, sub box, roughly $90

if you can give a ballpark figure as to what your willing to spend, then it'll be easier for me to give you some specific advice.

Running 2 subs will make it considerably more expensive because you'll have to get an amp for the splits as well. eg 4x100 bridged to give 300wrms each to the subs, then a 2x84 for the splits. (so you'll need to spend $200ish for another sub, $180 for another amp, few bucks for some cable for the amp)

Last thing, if your going to run two subs, and you want any decent SQ, you'll NEED an amp for the splits. Those subs will drown out any mids and highs if they're ran purely off the HU. If you're only running one sub, the splits will do OK off the HU, but sooner or later you'd probably want to amp them when the car audio bug sets in  :P :)

anything else just ask  ;)

Offline Pinsair

• ka24e owner
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Sep 2, 2003, 07:02PM »
yeh well i havent got a set budget as such but as my car will be sitting in my garage for the next 4 or so months i thought i may as well start on the system.  i think probably the two amps would be the way to go as i'm pretty sure i want two subs (after hearin my mates car the other day, he just got 2 12" JL subs sounds crazzzy :o).  thanks for all the help, karma for you.

Offline trxmad

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Oct 4, 2003, 02:35PM »

Sound deadening your doors will improve the quality even more, and is strongly recommended. Super cheap have the tar stuff for $30 and it does its job quite well.

what is sound deadening ??

Offline BEEFY_1600

• antrx.com junkie
  • 1968 Datsun 1600 FJ20ET GTX3076R
« Reply #7 on: Oct 4, 2003, 02:46PM »
All sound deading does its make the pannels heavier so they dont move and this stops the sound from gettting out and stop pannels from vibrating as the pannel is more dense

Offline fmx_rider

• west oz local moderator
  • antrx.com senior member
  • TRX? Nope.........WRX!
    • Fmx_Rider's Motocross Site
« Reply #8 on: Oct 4, 2003, 11:25PM »
The system I have decided upon (well...75% sure-may change during install!) to get installed in about a week is....

Alpine 9807 headunit (same as corsair ghia)
MB Quart 6 1/2 splits (front)
MB Quart 6 1/2 coaxials (rear)
Alpine MRV-F540 (4x80RMS @ 4 ohm)
12 inch sub (will sound test a few when reast of system is in...but approx $200-300).
Sound deaden front doors
Instal and cables

Splits will be run off amp, giving approx 80RMS, the sub will run off two bridged channels, giving approx 200RMS..not huge but should be enough for decent SQ), rears will be off deck. Simple, yet effective system.

Hopefully be in for the October 12th ANTRX perth cruise!
MY98 WRX...work in progress: 3 inch SS turbo back exhaust, high-flow cat, K&N air filter, SPS silicone Y pipe kit, TMIC tilt mod & waterspray @ 8psi, scoop splitter, meshed MY99/00 frontbar + full colorcoding, clear indicators front/side, blue badge; Formula Ferodo TS2000 brake pads, Whiteline 22mm adustable rear swaybar with HD gold links, front strut brace; stereo consisting of Alpine, MB Quart, Eclipse & Rockford Fosgate components + IPOD dock...Next month LINK ECU & more boost (previous ride modded 1989 Pintara T)