Author Topic: New noise laws  (Read 7500 times)

James

New noise laws
« on: Jun 9, 2003, 10:39PM »
Hey im just curious as to how the new noise laws work as far as playing ur stereo too loud. i have been pulled up twice this long weekend for having my stereo too loud, and both have been classed as official warnings  :o i would hate them to take it away from me  :'(

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re:New noise laws
« Reply #1 on: Jun 9, 2003, 11:04PM »
this comes under queenslands new hooning laws doesnt it?

apparently, from articles my parents have sent me from brisbane, the loudness of the vehicle/stereo is up to the cops discretion. personally i think its ridiculous, and the guy that had his driving priveledges removed for 1000 years is simply bullshit. the fact that police dont have to have a db meter to measure the volume of your stereo or exhaust means that the warnings/fines wouldnt stand up in court.

but maybe you should have your stereo a little quieter in built up areas?

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

James

« Reply #2 on: Jun 9, 2003, 11:07PM »
thats the thing! i wasnt in a built up area, the first time i was cruising in town (cbd) and the second time was at 3:00 this afternoon near an industrial estate! the fact that it is up to the police to decide what is "too loud" is a bit crazy, i was just wondering what they could actually do as far as confiscations go!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Jun 10, 2003, 01:13AM »
they dont take your stereo. they take your whole car!

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #4 on: Jun 10, 2003, 03:59AM »
lousy, stoopid, good for nothing... grrrrrrrrr  >:(

James

« Reply #5 on: Jun 10, 2003, 06:11AM »
thats not right is it! especially when deciding whether or not ur stereo is too loud is at the officers discretion.  >:(

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Jun 10, 2003, 06:25AM »
according to the newspaper clippings i have that is what they are doing.

on the weekend 25 cars were confiscated on the gold coast for hooning (includes dragging at the lights, loud exhausts, stereos etc)

400 cars have been confiscated since the laws came in.

1st offence, you get your car confiscated for 48hrs. 2nd offence its 3 months. 3rd offence they sell it on you.

as for car stereo, i think its 3 strikes before you cop the 1st offence confiscation. completely bullshit i know. but that is now the law  >:(

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #7 on: Jun 10, 2003, 06:33AM »
is that australia-wide though?? or just queensland??

James

« Reply #8 on: Jun 10, 2003, 06:42AM »
just qld i think

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #9 on: Jun 10, 2003, 06:47AM »
at the moment its just qld.

i believe south australia are considering something similar too.

James

« Reply #10 on: Jun 10, 2003, 06:49AM »
400 cars confiscated and are our roads any safer? i think not! what a load

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #11 on: Jun 10, 2003, 10:49AM »
I am sure you could argue in court that the confiscation isnt proven or warranted, if you could be bothered going to all the trouble of getting a lawyer

Offline KNG P1N

• humpin ya mumma since '85
  • post whore
  • dont hate the player.....hate the game
« Reply #12 on: Jun 12, 2003, 12:10PM »
its just qld

im on my second warning, its preety much at officer discretion, but basically, if u can hear it outside the car...............ya f*#kd
And there's not much I can say
But we miss you every day
And I'm bitter 'cause it's unfair
We'll be drinkin' in the sun
Playing music having fun
Cause one day I'll see you there
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #13 on: Jun 12, 2003, 12:28PM »
thats bullshit though. because stock stereo's that people crank their tupac  up on like a fucken retard will get away with it even though extremely loud and extremely distorted shit is more annoying that music that is actually clear.

i dont know. i guess thats fair enough. but if you have a window down, which (shock horror) is a common occurence in queensland, you dont have to have the stereo very loud at all for it to be heard outside.

i reckon that to back yourselves up, even though you probably think its a silly idea, is to have a portable db meter in the car with you at all times. that will show you if your over the legal noise levels or not. a db meter reading will stand up a hell of a lot better in a court than the argument "but police officers dont carry db meters so you dont know if it was actually to loud or not"

some new nokia phones have built in decibel meters. other places you could get your hands on them are dick smith and tandy.

the dick smith one is $150 and measures from 40-130db. now i know some of you would think thats a waste of money because it wouldnt be able to measure your stereo as it makes over 130db, but really, if your stereo was over that level in the first place, its probably a good idea your getting your arse kicked by the cops.

$150 is a good investment to prevent your car from being impounded i reckon.

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #14 on: Jun 12, 2003, 05:53PM »
i think i might rant a bit
id understand the new noise laws if they were just bookin people that are playing music that loud that u can hear em 5 blocks awayin there little excel (sik m8 sik), but i got done for the whole ' cant hear anything over the exhaust except a discrete rumble of the sub'. i wasnt disturbing sh*t.  i should make a citizen arest on a fat pig putting on his sirens to get back to the station because its the end of his shift.......when im asleep and 2am.lol

anti hooning laws my arse, pro revinue raising more like it

end rant
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

James

« Reply #15 on: Jun 13, 2003, 01:13AM »
well said mattius  ;D

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #16 on: Jun 13, 2003, 12:30PM »
thats bullshit though. because stock stereo's that people crank their tupac  up on like a fucken retard will get away with it even though extremely loud and extremely distorted shit is more annoying that music that is actually clear..

LOL. I swear that is mostly tradespeople in their old crappy vans!
And yes, distortion sounds so bad! :@ i have a mate who seriously needs his ears checked. He's like "see, how loud is that! and i dont have a sub" Me "but its fuckin distorted as anything, turn it down, arrrghhhhh!"
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #17 on: Jun 13, 2003, 01:29PM »
in my first job, occasionally i had to drive the junior around to deliver drawings of an afternoon (as he had no licence) and he loved his tupac (the reason why i used that as an example)

we'd get down the street in the stock hyundai excel company car and this guy would stick a tape in and turn it up as loud as it would go. i kept turning it down, he kept turning it up. bloody annyoing. especially when driving down magaret st in the city and all the people are gawking at you waiting at that bus stop near sizzler.   :smack!:

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #18 on: Jun 13, 2003, 02:54PM »
especially when driving down magaret st in the city and all the people are gawking at you waiting at that bus stop near sizzler.   :smack!:

you've been out of brissie too long, thats Elizabeth St. I drive past there every day just about, and there is always countless number of bogans waiting for the bus there!  :P lol  or sleeping there  :-\
2.0L 4 -------> 3.0L 6. Does this mean a 4.0L 8 next?? or back to a 2.0L......turbo!

BlakeyBoyR

« Reply #19 on: Jun 13, 2003, 03:31PM »
You knockin bogans mate !?!?! *too bad theres no smiley with a mullet  ;D*

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #20 on: Jun 13, 2003, 05:50PM »
ah shit man, it is too.. margaret street is down near the uni. holy crap.  :-[

at least you know where i meant. so its all good.  ;D

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #21 on: Jun 19, 2003, 07:01PM »
Got a question - today at tafe when i was on my break, a few of us went to my car to get something and they wanted to hear the stereo. So i turned it on (In the tafe carpark) and left it on for a few seconds, maybe 20seconds and then these cops (on bikes) came over from accross the road and took down my details. Licence, rego, etc.. the lot.. No ticket, but  ?  ??? im confused, its got me kinda paranoid.  :-\

Offline aussie-gli

• post whore
  • CA20E GLi (1998 -> 2008) U12 TRX (2020 -> ...)
« Reply #22 on: Jun 19, 2003, 07:09PM »
Got a question - today at tafe when i was on my break, a few of us went to my car to get something and they wanted to hear the stereo. So i turned it on (In the tafe carpark) and left it on for a few seconds, maybe 20seconds and then these cops (on bikes) came over from accross the road and took down my details. Licence, rego, etc.. the lot.. No ticket, but  ?  ??? im confused, its got me kinda paranoid.  :-\

yeh, dunno... can't be too good tho.  Maybe they'll report your car to the EPA...  

I NEVER crank my system in busy car parks, or where there are people around just coz of the whole "look, I have a stereo! come steal it!" factor....
Lisa: Dad, we did something very bad! Homer: Did you wreck the car? Bart: No. Homer: Did you raise the dead? Lisa: Yes. Homer: But the car's okay? Bart & Lisa: Uh-huh. Homer: All right then.

James

« Reply #23 on: Jun 19, 2003, 10:48PM »
yeah thats my tatic aussie gli, dont want to draw too much attention

did they tell u that it was an official warning or anything? or tell u that u shouldnt have it too loud??? cause maybe u just got ur first strike  :-\

Offline Nizzan

• antrx cruise monkey
  • antrx.com junkie
  • I am NOT a llama!!
« Reply #24 on: Jun 20, 2003, 08:25AM »
nah they didnt say anything. We were sitting in my car, and one of my mates said, "oh turn it down, theres cops over there". so i did, but we all looked at them. i looked at them weird like, 'they dont look like cops'. Cops looked back for a bit, but sorta looked away, kept going on their way. eventually they decided to come over. (probly coz we were looking and they got sus or something) :smiley6:

but they werent mad or anything, we were talking quite normally to them. said we were students at the tafe doing electronics, into the stereo scene etc.. and had just finished an exam. cops said, "oh, no wonder ur letting off a bit of steam.." bla bla...

so i suppose it might not be so bad. EPA would the be worst - asked to get it tested or something (my system isnt exactly small)

but then could be put onto a watch list or something  :-\

Offline chucky

• CRUISE MONKEY
  • post whore
  • WHERES MY STICKER?
« Reply #25 on: Jun 20, 2003, 02:52PM »
i wouldnt stress mate, i get my details taken down quite often, more often than not, its simply a way of proving to their boss that they've been doing work and not just punching holes in donuts... if they didnt say anything to you then i'd highly doubt they'd report you to anyone... although im the last person to give advice on fines... =(
What do ralliart do??? make stickers???

Offline KNG P1N

• post whore
« Reply #26 on: Jun 20, 2003, 03:11PM »
ive heard rumours about blacklisting, wether they are true or not im not sure, but basically waht ive heard is that the cops get details of performance cars or cars with good stereos, and there on a list so when traffic cops see a performance car they follow it til they stuff up, and book em. this i rekon is trying to discourage people from doing cars/stereos up.
so if this rumour has any truth to it, it basically means that now they have your details and if they cu, they will pick on u. just a rumour though......
Playing music having fun
R.I.P, M.M 1984 - 2005

Offline Tim-E

• antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • doof doof
« Reply #27 on: Jun 20, 2003, 04:42PM »
nah im with chucky on this one.
In town i kicked over this "wet floor" sign (ok i dont usually do this, even as drunk as i was, i think i was angry or somethin ::)) and then ran around this corner, right into the path of 3 coppas on foot, they went around the corner and saw the sign lying on the floor and were like "did u just kick that?" im like "kick what?"
they are like righto we are gunna check the security cameras in the morning, and they took all my details, and said "ok behave for the rest of the night, talk to u in the morning" i go "yes officer i am sure u will".. :P

never heard from them. I think its just a scare tactic.
But maybe its different with cars?

Mr Trx

« Reply #28 on: Aug 30, 2003, 10:39AM »
oo well i've been lucky when i see cops approaching from in front or bihind i hit the mute button  ;D lol it works they will stck on your ass for a while your has an exhaust and mag wheels which shit;s the fuck out of me. it's like sum1 taligating them and they turn around and book you, i wish u could book them  ;D >:( >:( >:(

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #29 on: Aug 30, 2003, 07:17PM »
oo well i've been lucky when i see cops approaching from in front or bihind i hit the mute button

Unfortunately my stereo doesn't have a mute button :(
But i got around this by running a switch halfway along the remote wire to my sub amp and i can just flick the sub amp on and off whenever i want  ;) ;)
so one second my friend is feeling his eardrums rattle about his head and the next it's nothing but ear piercing trebble and mid coming from the speakers ;D ;D
"Noss is God"