Author Topic: uni students/grads  (Read 3751 times)

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
uni students/grads
« on: Nov 22, 2007, 01:48PM »
lately i have revised what im going to spend the next few years studying and it has made me wonder what other people have done or are doing, and how they decided to do it. i'd really like to hear unusual choices too, something a bit different. so yeh. go ahead and tell me your story! heh
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: uni students/grads
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2007, 02:49PM »
I went through school as a science/maths geek.
Started uni doing Engineering/Commerce because I wasnt sure exactly what to do and engineering seemed to suit cos it was stuff i did at school.  After a year of that, I decided I was over the maths and dropped the eng section to just do strait commerce.  Never did legal studies, accounting or any commerce subjects at school, but really enjoyed it at uni. 
Took a year off to do a TAFE diploma in drafting (always liked architecture) but went back to finish my last year of uni.

Now i've finished, i've landed a job as a building economist (organising money behind the building) which I feel mixed my commerce degree with my TAFE qualifications and love for architecture.  I'm stoked with it, however if I could do it all again, I would have just followed my highschool instinct and done architecture at uni, or advanced dip. drafting at TAFE.

Really just follow your heart and interests.

Offline cruizer

• post whore
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2007, 03:48PM »
Well at school I loved money....so then really you would think i'd work to avoid being a poor uni student  ::)

So I decided to do a double degree in commerce and applied finance, so I can be a stockbroker or financial planner. I hadn't really not thought about going to uni, dad went to uni and has a degree and doctorate, so maybe I fell like I should go. I don't really like accounting and was close to dropping the commerce half of my degree but I've decided to study a little more and I think I'll do alright.

Just finished my first year, three to go! Enjoying it though, uni life is so easy.

Offline bogan_bob

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2007, 07:47PM »
Hmm. I find i tend to head into areas that i originally hate :P I went through school, enjoying economics/business related stuff, but also doing biology and agriculture. As i finished school, i hated biology but was equal top in agriculture so went into an ag science degree, as i was not going to get the grades to vetinary science.

As i went through the compulsary subjects i worked out animals are too hard to experiment on so plants were better/easier to study, which i had always hated. If you had told me in first year that i would go on to do honours in my final year, i would have laughed at you! Then i was all set to step up my hours in a cushy public service job once i graduated, which i was ready to give a red hot go and sometime go back to do further study.

But again things changed and a project came up that was right in my area of interest for further study, so i applied, and all of a sudden im doing a phd :P And the hate thing again, its with a university supported centre that i originally hated because i saw how they treated their honours students (basically worked them like dogs and had huge expectations of them) but i do like it there cos they give you a bigger scholarship than other students get and project funding is not a real issue.

Basically i like the idea of continuously learning through research and contributing to the greater knowledge base. As Colby said, as long as you are interested and enjoying what you do/want to do, thats the main thing

http://ozvr4.com - check it out :)

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2007, 08:44PM »
well since i can remember, all i've ever wanted to be and do was marine biology, with particular attention to dolphins. so did the usual subjects required to get meself into marine and freshwter science at deakin uni, warrnambool.

as with most environmental sciences, it is quite hard to get a job straight outta uni directly related to what you're aiming for. throughout school and uni, i've done a bunch of volunteer work with marine friends groups and dolphin research institute. however, as much as i love the stuff, found it UBER hard to get a job directly related to marine research, let alone dolphin research - despite the amount of volunteer and pestering i've done with dolphin research institute. nevetheless, i settled for a lab tech gig, as i didn't mind doin lab work at uni.... BIG MISTAKE!  :P  as it turns out, the 'real world' of workin in a lab is (IMO) schiesenhousen! for the year or so i was there, if that place taught me anythin, it was NEVER to work in a chem lab as a techy ever again.

so still not bein able to get a gig with any sort of marine related PAID job, thought i'd try at something that i've been quite fond of....BIKES!  8)   now workin in a bike store and absolutely love it! i pretty much get to sell stuff i like and hav an extremely keen interest in, thus at the end of the day, its all good! its a bit of a jump from science tech to (what is basically) retail. tho whilst at school and uni, i worked at bunnings for over 8 years, so maybe that's got somethin to do with it  ::)

tho i still plan to do 'something' with me marine degree.... atm, i'm thinin of doin me divemaster, and then movin up north to be a dive instructor on a tour boat, or somethin crazy like that. but for the time being i'm extremely happy being at the bike store; ridin half the week; diving on the weekends (when i can); and lovin it.  ;D

i suppose at the end of the day, as long as you're doin somethin that u like and enjoy, and feel a sense of satisfaction and/or achievement in what you're doin, then how can u complain? hehe

hope you get into what it is that u wanna do thumbtack!
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #5 on: Nov 22, 2007, 08:59PM »
I didn't really know what i wanted to study when i finished high school, but i was pretty good at accounting and preferred business subjects, over science and english, so i decided to do a bachelor of commerce. After my first year, i did really well at accounting, so decided to do a double major in accounting. I also started a major in applied finance, but couldn't stand the lecturer who was taking the final subject, so i decided to ditch that.

My uncle is an accountant also and he was on pretty good money, so figured it would be the way to go (not realising that the good money doesn't actually happen for quite some time).

I graduated from uni in 2003 and started out as a graduate auditor with a private company. Absolutely hated it. So i changed to commercial accounting, which i much prefer and have worked with quite a few large companies since.

In order to become a "fully qualified professional accountant", i am required to complete either CA or CPA membership. I chose to do CPA as it's more relevant for commercial accounting. I have spent the past 3 years studying towards my CPA and have recently completed my last subject and am awaiting my results. So fingers crossed!!! I certainly will not be doing any more study after this. Well not for a very very long time anyways.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2007, 10:24AM »
an accountant i used to work with told me that it is a requirement of being a cpa or whatever that you have to do at least 2 weeks study per year.

everyone here seems to have done commerce  ???

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2007, 10:48AM »
everyone here seems to have done commerce  ???

yeah. except jon. maybe the whole marine thing is why you have such a small bladder eh jon? hehe.

but im glad there are people out there who can do commerce stuff. i'd have to kill myself if i did it i think.

well i was originally going to do a bachelor of science, and major in chemistry, then become an industrial chemist. at school i wasnt really interested in the thought of uni, hence why its taken me 4 years to get to this point heh, but i did alwaya have an inkling for chemistry. lately however when i think about it, i know that i will end up getting bored too quickly with it, and i've already waited 4 years to go to uni, a few more months wont hurt. so what im hoping to do is get a mid year entry into a bachelor of arts and study anthropology. i hadnt really thought of it until i took a careers test last week, and it came out as either that or archaeology. both are rad, but i'll put anthro as my first choice.

funnily enough, if i move to brisbane and go to UQ, my course code will be ANTHRX. hehe.

oh and its never too late to go to uni. i finished a bridging course up here called STEPS at CQU, and now my mum is going to uni in 08 to do the same course. and she's 63! so no excuses hahaha.
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2007, 10:52AM »
an accountant i used to work with told me that it is a requirement of being a cpa or whatever that you have to do at least 2 weeks study per year.

Yeah kinda, but it's not like it's full on study with exams. Once i'm a CPA i have to do CPD (continual professional development), which requires us to attend seminars and do other stuff to keep us up to date. We have to do 40 hours per year. It's not necessarily study though. Like i can become a mentor for another associate CPA member and claim hours through that. And you get hours for reading the magazines they send out and doing a quiz on the net.

Offline Febrile

• Forum Predator
  • post whore
  • I like having thumbs
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2007, 02:06PM »
I finished my Bachelor of Economics just one week ago.  Good lord am I glad it's over.  I lost interest a long time ago, and now I just feel that a lot of what I learned was wrong or not based in reality (i.e. neoclassical economics), and the time was wasted.  If I could go back I would advise myself to pick a discipline which I would like to be something I would like to be a recurring part of my future.  If you're not going to study something which will get you your "dream job", then study something that you could see yourself wanting to continue to learn about over your entire life (i.e. you'll still be reading books about it when you're retired).  Preferably, some combination of the two would be best.
Doo-woop-shoobie-doo-waah

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #10 on: Nov 24, 2007, 06:31PM »
everyone here seems to have done commerce 

I noticed that too... then I thought... most of the moderators on here are engineers or drafties.
Are medical people not interested in cars?  And of course arts students are just alcho's and cant afford to waste money that could be spent on party/drinking.

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #11 on: Nov 24, 2007, 09:47PM »

I noticed that too... then I thought... most of the moderators on here are engineers or drafties.

3rd year of engineering and working casually as a drafty so am i a mod in training ?
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #12 on: Nov 25, 2007, 08:40PM »
yeah. except jon. maybe the whole marine thing is why you have such a small bladder eh jon? hehe....

LOL! that's hilarious!  :D

tho you could be onto something there.... :o

If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline FuzzyDropbear

• antrx.com senior member
  • L26 Boost Junkie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 28, 2007, 11:18PM »
If you had told me in first year that i would go on to do honours in my final year, i would have laughed at you!

Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing halfway through this year. I've just finished my honours year in Natural Resource Management and it sucked!

I originally aimed to do Forestry, but seeing as they closed the intake for my year so they could restructure the course (they must have seen me coming  :D) I had to choose something else. Natural Resource Management worked out better for me as I kinda grew out of forestry and became more interested in managing the natural environment.

Now I just have to go find me a job in Fire Management with the DSE and I'll be dang happy.  :)
Datsun boys, we like 'em fast, so we drop 'em low, heavy on the gas!