Author Topic: U11 rear end  (Read 1371 times)

iren

U11 rear end
« on: Aug 12, 2004, 10:39PM »
Well, I ditched the whole idea of using U12's rear drum parts for my rear disc brake conversion, anyways, got a question:

those of you with U11 rear end, how big are the rotors?  unfortunately, being that I buy stuff piece by piece, the rear rotor that came with the U11 spindle I got is an 11" rotor, works out to 27.94cm. the U11 calipers I got won't fit on them. went to part store and found out the replacement rotors for all U11 rear ends were only 10" (25.4cm).. did nissan changed the U11's brake setup mid production year? the 11" rotor mounts on the spindle as any stock brake setup would for the U11, it got appropriately sized dust shield as well. Very interesting indeed since the stock U11 front rotors are 10" units (same as U12).

I guess it's probable that nissan decided to change the setup since the 11" rotors might just made the U11 a bit too tail heavy on nose diving braking. hence a probable recall I've yet to see/find anywhere online.

11" rear rotors w/ single pot rear calipers + 11" w/ 2 pot front calipers (my hopefully not too far delayed project).. that ought to get me braking really at the end of the straights.. instead of somewhere in the middle.

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Re: U11 rear end
« Reply #1 on: Aug 12, 2004, 10:47PM »
I don't think the U11 was ever released here in oz, but i could be wrong. Why don't you use the 11" rear rotors you have and have a suitably sized caliper adapter plate made up to space the single piston caliper out the correct difference?

iren

« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2004, 11:36PM »
I think U11 was released in Australia as well, with the VG20ET engine.

well, no worry as for the adaptor plate or what not.. for now I'm just running the 10" rotors in the rear.. and then, later on as time permits, I'll have a 1 piece spindle to slider bracket adaptor made.

still, it was a nice find (the rear spindle + rotor assy that is)

I was just shooked up as to why this 1 got 11" when all the suppliers we have can only supply 10" for it.

U13s and L30s run 11" up front if not mistaken...
« Last Edit: Aug 16, 2004, 04:41AM by iren »

iren

« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2004, 04:53AM »
however, I don't really see the point of running rear big brakes in a FWD other than to break rear traction earlier with same compound tires on all 4 (as per some race sanctioning bodies regulations). But then you can dial in the suspension to provide that (albeit continous setup changes necessary from 1 course to another).

With the way most cars are setup from manufacturer -about 80% of braking force comes from the front end-, it's clear enough that the front brakes are often over worked, and more often than not they'll need to be upgraded first.

The 11" rear rotor + caliper combo fits behind stock U11 wheels as well. You'll need the bracket ears to be longer approx. by 1/2"