Author Topic: Cam timing & other things.....  (Read 1558 times)

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
Cam timing & other things.....
« on: Jul 9, 2003, 10:42PM »
Well, i finally got around to degreeing the cam....to no avail.
Let me tell you that:
a) It is virtually IMPOSSIBLE to degree a camshaft while the engine is still in the car
b) I only have 7.4mm of lift on my exhaust valve, and 9.9mm of lift on the intake valve
c) I can't do a damn thing about b) till i can modify a set of my spare HLA's to solid CA20 type lifters (I may be able to do this for others but will be on a modify only basis, ie. i won't set lifter height/valve lash for you)
d) If you're using a reground cam you really need lash caps to compensate for decrease in the cam base circle or the lifters mentioned in c)
e) STUPIDLY i advanced the cam timing one tooth to be greeted by a loud knocking, no, it wasn't the valves hitting the pistons, but my lifters had air in them and needed to be bled. Adjusted static timing upon finding it was probably at 35 degress BTDC! Took it for a drive round the block after checking the pistons through the sparkplug holes for any sign of contact with the valves; had heaps of bottom end BUT felt VERY weak from about 5000rpm to redline. Reverted timing back to how it was when it was dyno'd.
f) I have a fouling problem with the spark plug on cylinder no.3.
g) I'm not happy with the work i've done, so i'll be building a new motor at the end of the year.

I'm still convinced my timing is off, but not adjustable within range of the standard cam sprocket.

SaMmYJ

Re:Cam timing & other things.....
« Reply #1 on: Jul 10, 2003, 01:44AM »
hay ssgtr if i get a cam can u put it in for me ??  how much would u want to doo this can u put cam in while engine in car ???

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Jul 10, 2003, 11:18AM »
there is a bit of a waiting list sammy..

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

SaMmYJ

« Reply #3 on: Jul 10, 2003, 12:28PM »
i pay cash !!

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2003, 07:19PM »
No.
Sorry, i am not a mechanic and am not prepared to take responsibility for your car or anyone else's car:
a) running like shit (because of improper cam timing or wrong valvetrain geometry)
b) not running at all

I can only offer advice, because in the end, if i fuck up on my own car, it's my problem and no one elses.
And even if i was prepared to do it, i'd still be charging $50 an hour. So in the end you're better off leaving it to a qualified mechanic.