Author Topic: Compatable CD Disc Changer?? (Civic)  (Read 1765 times)

Offline Complexity

• antrx.com senior member
  • Cookie?
Compatable CD Disc Changer?? (Civic)
« on: Nov 2, 2005, 07:46PM »
Hey guys... I recently put a cd disc changer/stacker in my TRX and now my Mum wants me to put one in her civic. The problem is that her stereo is a stock honda unit (from a 1995 Honda Civic) and it does have control for a changer/stacker but the plug at the back for a stacker is an 8-pin 'DIN' plug. I had a sony headunit with a sony stacker so there was no compatability issues, my question is what brands can I buy to be compatable with this stock civic headunit??

n.b. why is the plug called a 'din' plug, DIN usually refers to the size of the headunit doesn't it, ie. 1 Din or 2 Din.

Cheers

Complexity.

Offline Rake

• vrrrmm sssssh pstch
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • quack
    • http://www.tldr.com.au
Re: Compatable CD Disc Changer?? (Civic)
« Reply #1 on: Nov 2, 2005, 08:53PM »
A DIN connector is one of a number of electrical (audio/video) connectors following DIN standards

Maybe you could try pulling out the headunit (if you havn't already) and seeing if it's of any particular brand? Should be on the sticker on top, thats where they usually are I believe. Some manufacturers (more often in newer cars I think) have their cd players / speakers etc made by people like Pioneer, Kenwood, etc.

Offline Complexity

• Cookie?
« Reply #2 on: Nov 2, 2005, 09:55PM »
I pulled it out tonight and the only sticker on it was branded Honda... if memory serves me correct I think they may be Alpine brand.
So once I find the brand I just buy a stacker of the same brand or are there more brands that may be compatable ie. for all headunits are they only compatable with the same brand stackers? I guess it's intuitive that they are so that the company can ensure more business by making the customer by more products from them.

Actually, come to think of it, our Accord (same year) has a similar headunit and an alpine stacker with the same interface (8-pin din connector) So I should probably look for an alpine changer or some kind of adapter.
« Last Edit: Nov 2, 2005, 10:17PM by Complexity »

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Nov 2, 2005, 10:34PM »
the only way you will get stacker to work off that deck is to : A- Get a factory unit or B - Get an FM Mod stacker

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Complexity

• Cookie?
« Reply #4 on: Nov 3, 2005, 08:47AM »
yeh that's what I was thinking too... in which case an alpine unit would suffice, I don't want an FM Mod Stacker because of the problems that come with using FM, however I saw a website in the US which has adapters so maybe I can find some in Australia. I'll see how I go.