Author Topic: RCA splitters. Do they affect quality/ current etc.?  (Read 3030 times)

Offline royceblacklamb

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
  • new kid on the block

Hey Guys,
All i was wondering was whether using rca splitters affect the connections from the amp to the head unit. For example i have just purchased a pioneer mp3 headunit with only one set of Rca inputs, while my 5 channel (4 channel input, 5 channel output) amplifier uses 2 sets of rca outputs. I have decided to use two rca splitters from the amplifier end so that there is only i set of rca leads to the headunit.  Will this affect quality/ sound/ current etc. at all.

Thanks, Reece

Offline Sheldon

• antrx.com junkie
  • The Beasty Beast
Re: RCA splitters. Do they affect quality/ current etc.?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 25, 2005, 11:02PM »
i have splitters and it seems great i dont have a problem with it at all. and it sounds good considering
If only the KA24E was KA24ET!!

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #2 on: Jul 26, 2005, 02:19AM »
I don't think anyone would notice the difference. The only thing you might be worried about is not being able to fade the speakers front to back or control the sub volume if you have multiple RCAs on your head unit.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #3 on: Jul 26, 2005, 08:58AM »
no, you wont notice them, unless you are gonna use like, 10 of the things, and like what jono said, thats probably the only issue

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #4 on: Jul 26, 2005, 03:00PM »
I have them 2, Same thing as u said only i have them dasiy chaining from my sub amp to my speaker amp. It must be either just me or my speaker amp because for some reason i thought it made the speakers quieter? I dont no but i would say there is no hearable differences

Offline weasel

• antrx.com moderator
  • post whore
  • ooooweeeooooo
« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2005, 05:31PM »
Yeah i agree exactly with what everyone else in here has said, i used to have mine set up with two sets of Y splitters and couldn't notice them (although i didn't have anything to compare them off)
"Noss is God"

Offline royceblacklamb

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
  • new kid on the block
« Reply #6 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:37PM »
Cheers  ;D

You said that it will affect fading between the front and the rear, will i still be able to adjust the gain seperately on the amplifier so that i can fade that way?

Reece

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #7 on: Jul 27, 2005, 10:58PM »
The only thing you will notice with the splitters is that it can quieten the output from your amps slightly depending on your output from your headunit. For an example my mate has the splitters in his car and his headunit has 1.5v pre outs and there was a little drop in volume. We tried the splitters on my headunit which is a 6.5v pre out and there was no audible drop in volume at all so that is the only thing theoretically and practally that can happen as far as im aware.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2005, 11:28AM »
You said that it will affect fading between the front and the rear, will i still be able to adjust the gain seperately on the amplifier so that i can fade that way?

What I meant was that if you had front and rear RCAs coming out of your HU, and you only used one of the sets of RCAs to run your amp and 4 speakers, your HU's fader control wouldn't fade the sound properly. You would have to adjust the gain on the amp to fade from front to back (and vice-versa).
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!