Author Topic: Connections Query  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Complexity

• antrx.com senior member
  • Cookie?
Connections Query
« on: May 27, 2005, 11:00PM »
Hey all, before I begin I did a search and found some information but my question isn't completely answered. Here's my dilemma. I currently have a 300W amp 2ch with no subwoofer out and a headunit with two rca-outs and only one being used for the amp. I want to add a subwoofer to this setup but I don't know how I'm going to do it without buying another amp. My current amp has all it's channels taken up by crossovers (I think that's what they're called) which then run some speakers. Is it somehow possible for me to connect a subwoofer to my current setup or will I have to buy another amp with a sub-out to replace the one I have? I could by another amp specially for the sub but I don't know how I'm going to power that amp without having to run more power and ground wires.

I hope my description has been clear enough for understanding!

Cheers,

- Complexity.

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
Re: Connections Query
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 11:48PM »
If your HU hasn't got sub out, and you aint got enough outputs left on your amp, it's best to buy another amp and connect it to your existing amp.. Not worth doing bodgey jobs which could wreck all your speakers in return
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 09:31AM »
you will need to get another amp, theres no way around that, if your head unit has 2 PAIRS of RCA's you'll be ok, but if you only have one PAIR you could either use a splitter from the rca's on the head unit, you may loose a bit of volume because of the signal being split, or if your amp has a line out, you can use that, but being that almost none of the 2ch amps ive seen have a line out, you will have to go the first option

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline Complexity

• Cookie?
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 03:53PM »
Ahhh ok... well my HU does have a second RCA line out I can use. So I can connect another amplifier. Is it necessary to have two amplifiers running? Instead of doing that could I replace my current 2ch amp with a 4ch amp and just run the sub from one of the extra channels?

Thanks for you help!

- Complexity.

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 05:33PM »
yeah you could do that, like i said, either way a new amp is needed, make sure it has a high/low pass crossover

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline ashman01

• Thats Mr. Man01 to you.
  • post whore
  • Slowly getting there
« Reply #5 on: Jul 4, 2005, 10:37AM »
Ahhh ok... well my HU does have a second RCA line out I can use. So I can connect another amplifier. Is it necessary to have two amplifiers running? Instead of doing that could I replace my current 2ch amp with a 4ch amp and just run the sub from one of the extra channels?

Thanks for you help!

- Complexity.

When u say it has a second 1 do u mean it has 2 rca sockets or 4? cuz if it only has 2 then they should both be plugged into ur 2 chan. And my Kenwood 2 cahn amp has line out. Oh and i used splits anyway and didnt notice any diff with lack of sound

Offline Complexity

• Cookie?
« Reply #6 on: Jul 4, 2005, 01:18PM »
When u say it has a second 1 do u mean it has 2 rca sockets or 4? cuz if it only has 2 then they should both be plugged into ur 2 chan. And my Kenwood 2 cahn amp has line out. Oh and i used splits anyway and didnt notice any diff with lack of sound

It has two rca sockets. My sony 2ch amp has a line out too, but what I'm doing now is I'm buying a 4ch amp through SAU group buy and connecting up my current 2 channels and bridging my sub to the remaining two.

Cheers everyone for your help!

- Complexity.

edit: however I think that my 2ch amp only has one input and one pass-thru.
« Last Edit: Jul 4, 2005, 01:23PM by Complexity »