Author Topic: Intermittent no idle ford corsair 2.0  (Read 3435 times)

Offline darthvincor

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Intermittent no idle ford corsair 2.0
« on: Oct 29, 2011, 01:18PM »
Hi everyone,

My first post on the forum.
I have a 1990 Ford Corsair, manual, 2.0 engine, and sometimes the engine won't idle.
It seems to happen especially when it is either warm outside (+30c) or engine is already at operating temperature. And a long trip (+300kms) will also make it act up.
It'll start up fine, but then stall again when it's acting up.

What have I tried so far:
-New spark plugs and leads
-new cap and rotor
-new o2 sensor
-new coolant temp sensor
-cleaned IAC valve
-reset ECU
-sometimes there's a code or two, sometimes none (usually 13 and the one about rich exhaust)

When it acts up a smell of petrol gets into the car, like it's over injecting.

And finally, a temp fix:
If I turn the aircon on (increases idle) it won't stall, but still really struggles. If I then leave the aircon on for a minute or two, and then turn it off, idle will work again.

Sometimes it'll drive fine for months, other times it'll act up a few days in a row.

Does anyone have an idea what it could be?

Thanks,

Vince

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Intermittent no idle ford corsair 2.0
« Reply #1 on: Oct 31, 2011, 01:21PM »
As a foreword, I know nothing about the CA20's, but:

Tried the fuel regulator? It might be on it's way out. Checked all the vaccum lines? Any leaks? Stupid question but have you confirmed that the new O2 sensor is working properly? I bought a dodgy coolant temp sensor, brand new it was just faulty. Always a thought.

I'm happy to help brain storm, but unfortunately I've got no experience with the CA20.

Offline darthvincor

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3, 2011, 04:12PM »
Thanks for your reply Cheezel.
I did not properly confirm the O2 sensor was working, but the car's performance did improve a fair bit after I fitted it.
Coolant temp sensor: there was no change at all. (I suppose I should check the resistance at different temps)
All the vacuum and air pipes seem pretty secure, no looseness or strange whistles.

Is that the fuel pressure regulator you're talking about?

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #3 on: Nov 3, 2011, 05:32PM »
The fuel pressure regulator is a device right before the fuel rail, i tried to find an image but there's no really good ones.

It's on the RH side of the fuel rail, looks a bit circular. I don't want to give you the wrong impression, just google images some fuel pressure regulators and you'll know what to look for. Although I'd usually say that this'd be the culprit for running rich, not idling low. I think there's also an air pressure regulator on the CA20? Grab the FSM for your car and have a peruse, see if there's anything that regulates the flow of air. I know there's something like that on the KA24, right at the top of the intake mani. Poor contact on that can give some pretty messy times with an engine.

Offline darthvincor

« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2012, 03:35PM »
I think I may have found a solution, as the car idles really well now, in all circumstances.

I cleaned the IAC valve. It had lots of black deposits on it, just like the rest of the intake manifold. I cleaned it with some kerosene and carby cleaner, as well as the bypass valves, and that made all the difference.
(I may have cleaned the IAC before, but not this thoroughly and not the bypass either)

I'm guessing the IAC valve got stuck in the closed position, or partially stuck, combined with a restricted bypass, meant too little air was getting in. Just a guess.

A few cents worth of degreaser... (after all those previous expensive attempts)