Author Topic: power streering rack pleae help  (Read 1173 times)

Offline let me drive

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
power streering rack pleae help
« on: May 16, 2005, 01:09PM »
hay guys   how hard is it to change the power steering rack cos my girl friend blew on the week end and we have to get it fixed or replaced

to get recode   they said about $600 including towing and a wheel aliment

to get second have from wrecker with three month warranty $175 and then me and friends install and the get a Tyer place to do a full alinement 50$

what does every one think i should DO   
and if anyone in Melbourne wants to help i would be happy to take assistance and would shout some grog or something?

thanks guys   let me drive

Offline ffourc

• antrx.com senior member
  • old man off the block
Re: power streering rack pleae help
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2005, 12:24PM »
Shoudn't be a hard diy, I have a rack sitting in my boot that I'll do today or tomorrow(as mine has a bit of wear in 1 ball joint). I pulled it off a wreck at u-pull (only got charged $100 - I was happy). A book will give you torques and how to bleed.  if u go 2nd hand make sure no wear in ball joints etc and racks smoothly.

The price you have for a reco- installed is a good one, $550ish just for the rack was the price I got from a couple of places. THATS why I decided on 2nd hand.

Main thing to make sure is you have it centered properly - and measure lengths (no of turns) for tie rods, so you don't stuff your toe-in too much.

Also get a ball joint remover - one with the bolt you tighten to pop the joint as illustrated in the FSM, I got one from supercheap for 20, money well spent.

Offline let me drive

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
Re: power streering rack pleae help
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2005, 12:50PM »
thanks man im thinking of just getting a pro to get it dune cos then i dont have to warry about stuffing up or even the warenty that they will give will more renshurence for me