Author Topic: To cam or not to cam???  (Read 4560 times)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • sth. oz local moderator
  • antrx.com junkie
To cam or not to cam???
« on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:45PM »
Hey everyone,

Im thinking about getting a set of cams for my car. The only thing that is really stopping me is price and then fuel economy. It will finally be getting tuned in a couple of weeks and I want it all finished by then.

Here are some questions I have:

Am I gunna notice a difference in fuel economy at 110km\h, I do a lot of K's at 110 so I'd like to keep my fuel economy pretty good?
How far can I go without having to upgrade things like valve springs, rocker arms, cam gears?
I've been told tomei poncams will go straight in with no need for anything else and give me an extra 20kW, anyone expirienced this?
I'd like a set of cams that will make my car sound a little lumpier at idle, am I a wanker?  ;D

I'd like to gain more than 20kW if that is possible, im not worried if the idle has to be lifted a few hundred RPM. Im more worried about having to buy gears etc. I know I have more things I want to know but I cant think of them at the momment.

Oh yeah, do I get cams for a S13 or a GTiR or niether. Cos the GTiR would have the drive for the dizzy, but I don't think the S13 ones would. But then GTiR's have solid lifters right? Would that mean that the cams are different?
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
Re: To cam or not to cam???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2007, 01:50PM »
Oh yeah quick specs on my car:

SR20DET
Forged Pistons
GT2871R .64 Exhaust and I think 52 trim
600x300x75 front mount
550CC injectors
450HP Walbro fuel pump
Z32AFM
3 inch exhaust

Will probably get have a CES split dump pipe soon too.

Made 175kW @ all four on 17PSI (didn't end up being tuned cos of shit boost controller) I intend on running 20PSI and hoping for around 220kW
Jason reffering to the OzVR4 Forum... "Even their forum is slow" "FJ20.com on the other hand, yep that S12 does Mono's"

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2007, 07:08PM »
fuel economy wont change if u keep off boost.

generally the longer the duration the lumpier idel. its the height that determines if u need new valve springs. step 1 cams u wont have to get upgraded valves. i got some hks step 1s 264in 264ex 10.5mm lift from memory. they are from a s13

its a good idea to get some rocker arm stoppers as a min

yes u are wank if u want the lumpy sound. :P but lucky for you, u will prob get a small lump compared to step2 etc

u MAY get 20kw. that really depends on the turbo and porting etc. id prob be keeping the expectations between 10-15awkw. any more will b a bonus

yes gtirs have diff cams matched to their head etc

nice specs on ur build. u should have a weapon soon. very similar to the build im wanting to achieve. the box might survive if u treat it very well. but id be prepared for the worst with that sort of mean power of about 200-220awkw :)
Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2007, 07:33PM »
Hey, thanks for your input, I suspected my off boost fuel eceonmy would not change, but it's good to hear someone confirm it.

So are you saying that if I just get a set of aftermarket cams for a S13 they will fit without modification?? If so, I'll just check out the silvia forum for something second hand. 10-15 awkw will be cool. I have no plans to take the head off or anything like that, idealy I would just replace just the cams, keep the original cam gears. I'm really tired of spending money on my car, I just want it finished lol.

And arent rocker stoppers just pieces of flat bar with holes drilled in them? Don't lie, you know they are!

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2007, 08:34PM »
Im guessing these would be too lumpy to just throw in yeah?

http://www.nissansilvia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=271969&hl=cams

Offline LUP15

• antrx.com senior member
  • formerly DIGITOBI
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2007, 10:37PM »
i cant say they will fit 100% without mods cause i havent put them in yet. i did a lot of research to see if they will fit on here, nz forums and pulsar forums to see what other ppl with the u13 engine ahve done. a few ppl have done it.

the cams u have linked are for s15 which dont fit either. but as for the specs, they look like step2 cams.

RAS are peices of flat metal  :o , but for $100 its pretty cheap insurance for the engine.

i know what u mean about finishing the car. but for me i see it as a long term project. my car has been good to me so far :)

Project LUP15 <-- Click Here      ||      If you're an enthusiast in QLD or anywhere else, support it --> Lakeside Raceway

Offline Marty

• west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #6 on: Dec 16, 2007, 09:23PM »
I've fitted the poncams to mine, was a lot easier than I thought too.
Apart from having to cut a little bit of metal of the end of the cams its a straight fit in, Not lumpy on Idle, so no wank factor there.
I got my turbo fitted a couple months after and got it tuned, has better fuel economy than when I first bought the car.
+1 from me, go buy them :)
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2008, 10:34AM »
Ok, so in the end I didnt go with the pon cams. I read that although they will go straight in with standard valve springs, it is a very bad idea due to the rather large amount of lift. Instead I went with Greddy easycams. 256/10.5 inlet, 264/10.5 exhaust. I havent had the car tuned yet, so I'm not sure what they will really do, and considering Im doing a few other things aswell, I wont really be able to say how much is due to the cams. But I do have a video on youtube of how it sounds now!  :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_q7KsPq2Eo&feature=email

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2008, 11:35AM »
*drool* sexy stuff luke!

but where's the spoiler?!?!?!?!
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2008, 11:38AM »
Ha ha, spoiler hasn't been on the car for close to 2 years, I hate it.

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2008, 11:42AM »
fair enough!

what else are you doing to it?  :D
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie

Offline Marty

• post whore
  • *no car :(*
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2008, 09:16PM »
should have got the poncams ;) 2 years still going strong
Wanneroo (Barbagallos) short track time 63 seconds (58 - Evo) long track 79 (69 - Evo)
Mods - Bosch 910 fuel pump, Nismo 555cc injectors, Z32 AFM, USB Bikirom, Full Whiteline Handling Kit, DBA Rotors, Tomei Poncams + GT2871. (174ahkw)

Offline Luke

• 173kw @ all 4
  • antrx.com junkie
« Reply #13 on: Aug 11, 2008, 10:27PM »
Meh, not risking it.