Author Topic: Raidator hoses.  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Wolf In Sheep’s Clothing

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
Raidator hoses.
« on: Sep 28, 2006, 01:36AM »
Hey guys,

Iv had a terrible few weeks, been worked off my ass flat out working from about 8:30am-2am most days except weekends, to make things worse I went out to see a client of mine tonight, which i was hoping to just see quickly and go home. When I got to his house I noticed a hissing coming from my engine after I had turned the car off, so i popped the bonnet to take a look to find the top coolant hose from my radiator to my engine has a small pin size hole in it spraying out coolant. At this stage I was like fark, so I used some tape to block up the hole before I left to go home from my clients house, hoping I could just get home without any issues, so i baybed it almost all the way home, until I came to a hill and my temp gauge spiked right to the top. I pulled over at 11pm. Rang my dad, obviously he wasn't too Happy about this and he came by with some water and coolant. We topped my radiator up and drove it around the corner to my mechanics place (temp stayed on half all the way there)

Now I'm a little panicky, would I have hurt my engine at all? (total driving time was around 15 mins) temp gauge only spiked once and I stopped immediately.

Also now scared for my car (and more importantly my wallet)iv decided to change all my coolant hoses and change the thermostat.

http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?cPath=23&products_id=61

For anyone who's changed their hoses (I know some of you have)
Does this Coolant hose overhall kit have all the hoses from radiator to engine, or is it only the hoses on the back of the engine under the intake manifold?

Also how hard it it going to be for my mechanic to change the hoses at the back, it it gonna take hours and am I gonna get charged an arm and a leg?

Also I'm thinking of getting one of those nismo radiator caps cause apparently they help in cooling by increasing the boiling point or some shit or is that just a gimmick?

Also any othe advice please tell me!
Written off HNU13 Atttesa, PM me for part requests.

Offline phreeky

• antrx.com senior member
Re: Raidator hoses.
« Reply #1 on: Sep 28, 2006, 08:30AM »
pretty sure it doesn't come with radiator hoses that kit. as for radiator cap, just get a standard (0.9 bar??) new one, don't bother with a higher pressure one - the slightest coolant leak and it will make it even worse due to higher pressure.

changing the back hoses is a pita, you have to remove soem stuff off the back of the intake manifold by reacher over and stuff, remove the runners + manifold, t/b (just move to side), iac valve, and a bunch of bits and pieces, plus a bit of the piping on the back of the engine and re-gasket that on i think too. imo if you're strapped for cash and time at the moment i'd just give it a little bit longer until you have time yourself - although it'd be a good idea to replace them, they don't wear as quick as the radiator hoses really, they don't have to flex at all and they're much smaller diameter.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #2 on: Sep 28, 2006, 09:06AM »
Is there any company that makes silicone radiator hoses for the u13? or ould the GTiR hoses be sutable?

Offline phreeky

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2006, 10:36AM »
dunno, i bought some funky a*se huge radiator hose from another car and cut it in half or so for the top hose, fit was pretty good, as soon as it got hot it shaped perfectly. think it was from a hilux or something, i just took my old one with me to repco and compared them until i found something that would work.

i haven't replaced my bottom radiator hose yet, really should be it's such a massive piece that it'll be interesting trying to find a non-genuine replacement that will work, but i'm sure there's something out there for cheap. will have to check photos of ka24de engine bays, it could be similar - pretty sure the radiator is identical.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2006, 10:42AM »
Yeah im pritty sure the radiator is the same.

Im just gonna go with genuine nissan hoses so I can have the car back on the rd tomorrow, I'm also getting the thermostat changed. Then I'm going to get that hose kit and have all the hoses changed soon after.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2006, 07:43PM »
The hoses on the back of the engine are a pain in the arse. You need about 3 elbows and eleventy-million socket extension bars and uni joints to undo the hose clamps. Then if the hoses are stuck onto the fittings you end up bashing your knuckles and elbows when they come free.

Have fun :D

Oh and if you need to drive a car with a busted hose, don't screw the radiator cap down tight, just screw it on past the first click so it stops coolant from splashing out but doesn't pressurise the coolant system. You'll lose alot less water like that, but the cooling capabilities of the system will be reduced.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2006, 12:33AM »
Frekin nissan said that u13 radiator hoses would take 90 days to get in from japan cause they didn't have them in stock! But as it was my top radiator hose my mechanic just made a new hose out of a bigger hose for some other car.

I want to replace the bottom radiator hose as well, I'm really starting to wonder if the gtir silocone radiator hose kit will fit the u13, I might just take the bottom hose out and take my old top hose and go do just jap or somewhere that sells the gtir hoses and compair the 2 sets of hoses.

Offline phreeky

« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2006, 11:50AM »
if you're talking about the hose kit for the rear hoses, told by gccorp (gmc on pulsar.org.au and gtiroz), i'm pretty sure he has a seperate hose kit for the u13 and gtir available.

i bought all the rear hoses from nissan except for one of them i'm yet to replace. the prices were reasonable, took 2 weeks from japan. if you can have the car off the road for a couple of days i recommend grabbing all the hoses, stealing the wifes/girlfriends/parents car and heading down to the local auto places to compare to hoses they have in stock - i buy some good quality hose clamps for them too, not the worm-gear style trash.

• antrx.com junkie
  • Ma-Jik
    • Ma-Jik
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2006, 01:03PM »
Yep I bought the rear hoses from gccorp (will get my mechanic to install shortly) I have also talked to Gerard at gccorp about getting me genuine top and bottom radiator hoses from Japan that Nissan said would take 90 days to get, he is quite confident that he will be able to get these in for me. For the moment my mechanic has replaced my top radiator hose with a similar shaped hose from a different car.

Also anyone doing this in the future, I highly reccomend www.gccorp.com.au for the parts you need and good customer service.

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2006, 07:27PM »
90 days........ i could get em in less than 10 days to your door

The Time Has Come To Battle It Out To The Death... SR24 vs KA24

The bluey must be revived to Life!!

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2006, 07:27PM »
and thats from nissan

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2006, 01:32AM »
Yep, I had RNU12 hoses from my CA at the dealership in 8 days from japan... Geelong's Nissan dealership
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline awd2.0t

• antrx.com junior member
« Reply #12 on: Jun 8, 2008, 10:44PM »
Hey Guys, sorry to drag up an old thread but I'd rather keep all the info in the one place.

Does anyone know if the gti-r radiator hoses (top & bottom) fit a u13 sr20det?

Offline 20vgs

« Reply #13 on: Jun 8, 2008, 10:50PM »
my daughter has a gtir.they are different to u13 awd.

Offline awd2.0t

« Reply #14 on: Jun 8, 2008, 11:36PM »
my daughter has a gtir.they are different to u13 awd.

Different in which ways diameter, bends, length etc.  Are both hoses different or just one?  Are there any other Nissan hoses that match, such as sr20de?  I would like to get some Samco hoses and expected gti-r hoses to match, so not sure what to go for now.

Any help appreciated!

Offline 20vgs

« Reply #15 on: Jun 9, 2008, 12:17PM »
they are different in  shape and length (both hoses)

Offline Craazy

• Resident Attesa Driver
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
  • Lovin it long time
« Reply #16 on: Jun 9, 2008, 01:27PM »
try www.nengun.com they are a good place for stuff too i have found

Offline awd2.0t

« Reply #17 on: Jun 9, 2008, 09:35PM »
Have sent the guys at GC Corp an email to see if they can help.  See link below. Has anyone used this kit?
http://www.gccorp.com.au/automotive/product_info.php?products_id=61

Any opinions on this kit over going with Nissan Genuine (apart from price).

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #18 on: Jun 9, 2008, 09:37PM »
I ordered and used that kit....Its genuine parts.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #19 on: Jun 9, 2008, 09:39PM »
And for my car...I used a sr20de top hose from a pulsar and the same for the bottom hose to thermo housing from a 2.0L pulsar.

And incase you didnt know my car is a recently convertered TRX to SR20det.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline awd2.0t

« Reply #20 on: Jun 9, 2008, 09:53PM »

Might go for this one if it's genuine.  I'll let you guys know how long the wait is.

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #21 on: Jun 9, 2008, 09:55PM »
When i ordered it it was only like a week i think...

"Noss is GOD"

Offline awd2.0t

« Reply #22 on: Jun 10, 2008, 08:29PM »

Kranzy did you get the top and bottom hoses from GC? As I spoke to to Gerard at GC Performance Parts & he said that the kit doesn't include top & bottom radiator hoses.  Main function of the kit is for the guys doing a sr20det conversion to update old brittle hoses

So back to square one I called Nissan and the top hose is about $64 & the bottom is $57 give or take a bit.  So looks like I'm off to Nissan and will then organise the kit from GC once the engine comes out to change all the hoses at the back.

Hope this helps a few others!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #23 on: Jun 10, 2008, 09:00PM »
Yeah the kit doesn't include top and bottom hoses or heater hoses.

Like i said I used the top and bottom hoses from a SR20DE powered pulsar.

"Noss is GOD"