Author Topic: how to: fix u12 odometer  (Read 2450 times)

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
how to: fix u12 odometer
« on: Aug 3, 2005, 11:33PM »
advancing the timing on your ka24de
[author]jono

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
Re: how to: fix u12 odometer
« Reply #1 on: Aug 3, 2005, 11:33PM »
I decided to write this article because the gauge repair article in the tech section is for N14s AND a common problem in U12s is the odometer not working.

Here it is:

First, you need to remove the gauge cluster from your car:
To get to the gauges:
- Remove the Switch Panel. There are two screws above head unit, two beind the ashtray handle, one to the left of the steering wheel, two to the right. Unplug everything and take out the panel.
- Take off the steering column top cover. This helps with the next step. There are around 6 screws which you have to remove from the airvents part.
- Remove the Airvents part. Three screws below the centre airvents (Note the middle one is longer than all the others), 5 along the top underside, and maybe some more around the steering wheel and all. I use a small flathead screwdriver, just above the right driver airvent, I wedge it between the two parts of the dash and lever it a bit until the top of the panel kind of 'pops' out, then I remove it. Unplug the clock if you've got one.
- Unscrew the guage cluster, theres two on the bottom corners and two on the top above the speedo.
- Unplug the three plugs from instument cluster, and voila. One of the clips on the middle black plug can be a little awkward with with the clicky thing, so again, a small flathead should help. Once unplugged, pull it out :)

That should leave you with this:

Turn it over and remove these four screws circled in red and unplug the connector 'squared' (:P) in green:

Note: if you have a Ti, TRX or Ghia cluster the screws will be in different places. Just unscrew the screws from behind the speedo.

Now remove the lens of the gauge cluster by unclipping the black section. Leave the clear section clipped to the black bit. Unclip it using your thumbnail while parting the black section from the white with your index finger:

Work your way along until you get this:

And then just lift it off. You only need to undo the bottom clips then basically just pull it off the cluster:

Now lift the speedo out of the cluster housing and put the housing aside for now:

On the side of the speedo there is a gold motor with two black phillips-head screws holding it on. Remove these screws and pull the board aside:

This is the offending gear:

See how the teeth have broken off the side of the beige gear?

Now you need to find somewhere to get a replacement gear from. They aren't cheap for a bit of soft plastic. I paid $11 for mine at Able Instruments in Loganholme, south of Brisbane.

When you the speedo back together, it's easier to pull the grey gear out of the speedo and put the new small gear on it instead of messing around under the circuit board:

Also make sure there aren't any remnants of the small gear on the motor:

Now drop the speedo into the cluster and hold it in while putting the screws back in. Now remove the trip meter reset button from the gauge by twisting and pulling at the same time:

Clip the lens back onto the cluster and then refit the trip meter reset button:

Now plug it back in and take it for a test drive before you put all the covers back on the dash. Just make sure you plug the hazard switch in or your indicators won't work... and don't get too distracted by the odometer moving :P

Where to get your speedo gears:
Able Instrument Service, 6/ 10 Babdoyle St Loganholme 4129 (07) 3801 1232 ($11)
Automotive Instrument Repair, 59c Glenvale Cr, Mulgrave ($20)

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like