Author Topic: Roof side moulding leaking?  (Read 2396 times)

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
  • Bread, butter and bacon is how I roll.
Roof side moulding leaking?
« on: Aug 1, 2014, 02:52PM »
Hi
After heavy rain (car sits outside!) I get water pooling in the rear foot-well.  I cant see any evidence of water coming in around the door or window (rear seat is always dry) so I am wondering if water is getting in under the black strip / moulding along the edge of the roof and then running down the inside of the b-pillar.

Has anyone seen this or know of an easy fix?  Before I go and try to remove the moulding I wanted to check if someone has a solution?  I hope that the liberal use of silicone will fix the issue rather than needing to remove the moulding and having the associated issues such as broken plastic clips that after 25 years are virtually impossible to get hold of!

Is this moulding easy to remove and reinstall?  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks.
Old guy who should know better than to mess around with old cars.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
Re: Roof side moulding leaking?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 1, 2014, 03:29PM »
Hi all.  found this thread on the site that mentions the difficulty in removing the moulding....

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,14853.0.html

I am thinking a pressure wash and a gut load of silicone along the edge of the moulding might be the way to go....!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #2 on: Aug 3, 2014, 09:46AM »
is there evidence that the water is coming from the roof area? if it was coming in from the roof wouldn't the headliner be wet or damaged?

the water may be coming from the door sills, the b pillar or something like that. i would probably go the opposite direction, starting with the plastic trims around the door frames and then pull up the carpet and see if you can see where the water may be coming from that way, there should be some kind of visual evidence of where the water is coming from.

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #3 on: Aug 4, 2014, 12:06PM »
Good idea.

I will pull off the trim from around the door and get the hose onto the roof moulding and the door frame to see where the water might be getting in.

Offline FNQ TRX

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2015, 01:59PM »
Been a while waiting, but the big rain has finally stared in Far North Queensland.  This means that I have been able to try and track down the source of the leaks in the back of the Pinny.

As the water was pooling (like one or two litres!) in the rear left passenger foot well, I had a suspicion that the roof side moulding may have been leaking and allowing water to run down the B pillar into the car.

I left the car outside without a cover for a couple of days and sure enough had a big leak.  I began pulling off the interior trim looking for witness marks from where the leak was starting.  

Nothing from the B Pillar (and no marks on the hood lining!), so moved backward, rear seat out, c pillar trim off and sure enough the leak is originating along the top of the rear window.  It tracks along the horizontal trim inside the car, runs down the C pillar, over the rear wheel hump, under the rear seat and into the foot well.

Now I know where it is coming from I will try and fix it.  I will pull off the window seal, clean and dry around the window frame, pack that sucker full of silicone and then ram the window seal back in place.

Meanwhile, anyone else had this issue of know of a better fix?
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2015, 02:01PM by FNQ TRX »