Author Topic: USDM Stanza to JDM Bluebirld swap Questions  (Read 4513 times)

Offline carcrazyz

• antrx.com pre-pewbie newbie
USDM Stanza to JDM Bluebirld swap Questions
« on: Oct 25, 2011, 09:54AM »
Hello I have a 1991 Nissan Stanza 5spd. The car is a nice daily driver but now I have a need for speed. Upon finding out a stanza is a bluebird in japan. I have located a u12 awd sss attesa sr20det half cut for USD$1600.00. Since i would basically have everything in front of me how difficult of a swap would this be. What problems would i run into. Also for an extra USD$200.00 i can get the rear axle with suspension stuff so i may be interested in a awd conversion. What would be the problems with that. Alot of my Nissan friends suggested not to buy a Stanza. I see protential in this car. So its a sr20det swap haven't decided on awd swap til i can get solid info on what is involved with that conversion and since i will be getting a half cut, i'm interested in converting it to rhd from lhd. so any help will help thanks. Time to show what a Stanza can do :)

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
Re: USDM Stanza to JDM Bluebirld swap Questions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:10AM »
Hi there!

Rather than just say "read the forums" - because there are MANY SR20 conversions on this forum, basically you'll need to swap the engine (derp), fuel rails, injectors, loom, ecu, and exhaust/intake manifolds. You'll also need to weld in a new engine mount, I believe - if you've got no experience with this sort of thing, find someone who does.

Converting from FWD to AWD is a massive problem - you've gotta run a drive tunnel to the rear axle, and the chassis of our cars doesn't allow for it. Someone on here has done it, but they got a workshop to do it for them - cost about AU$10k. It'd probably be half as much in the US, or possibly even less. You'd have to swap over all the running gear - the suspension units in the u12 bluebirds are different, so watch that - if you're able to do this all yourself, prepare for a mind fuck. But the tunnel needs to be worked into the chassis. It's a big operation if you wanna go AWD. not just tack off the AWD running gear and bolt on.

If you want more information about the SR20 conversion, go into the Project Threads section, and read up on Kranzy's SR20 conversion - plenty of details. If you've got any specifics, just keep asking away. :)
Oh, and Cru1se_Missile did the AWD conversion, fwiw - check his project thread for a bit of info.

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2011, 06:12PM »
Already a tunnel under the chassis mate, your FWD exhaust runs down it, the prop shaft for the rear end will run straight down the middle.

Exhaust will just need to be run to the side of that then... big job though!
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2011, 10:10PM »
Already a tunnel under the chassis mate, your FWD exhaust runs down it, the prop shaft for the rear end will run straight down the middle.

Exhaust will just need to be run to the side of that then... big job though!
But the exhaust bends around the fuel tank. Does that mean shaving the fuel tank back?

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2011, 11:09PM »
It means remove tank, install AWD tank if you can find it or install a fuel cell in the boot.

The chassis is vitually the same FWD and AWD, some minor floor pan differences for the AWD's exhaust and transfer case rear output snout, thats about it (other than mounting points).
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist