Author Topic: Neons  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Vithy

• post whore
Neons
« on: Aug 7, 2007, 02:36PM »
Im planning on putting neons on the inside of my car under the seats and under the dash wheres ppls feet are...but im wondering how or if it is possible to wire it so its like the roof light....so theres the option of on, door and off
so when i switch it to on neons come on door they come on when the door opens and off well thats self explanitory..i want it to have it own switch so when i turn it on the roof light doesnt come on 2....if u get where im getting at

cheers 4 the help
"Noss is God"

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
Re: Neons
« Reply #1 on: Aug 7, 2007, 07:13PM »
Yeah easy as mate...

I'll whip up a diagram in paint and post it up

« Last Edit: Aug 7, 2007, 07:19PM by Jono »
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline P-Unit

• antrx.com full member
« Reply #2 on: Aug 7, 2007, 07:36PM »
Another option is...

Find the door wire off the terminal, and run a split cable onto it, and down to the neons as their positive, then earth the neons directly to the chassis near the footwells. Either way, there will be more current going to the circuit, so youll have to put in a bigger fuse.

OR...

You could hook a relay directly to the door switch so when the drivers door opens then the neons come on through a totally seperate circuit which you build from scratch so it doesnt piggyback anything else's fusing.

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Aug 7, 2007, 07:43PM »
Another option is...

Find the door wire off the terminal, and run a split cable onto it, and down to the neons as their positive, then earth the neons directly to the chassis near the footwells. Either way, there will be more current going to the circuit, so youll have to put in a bigger fuse.

OR...

You could hook a relay directly to the door switch so when the drivers door opens then the neons come on through a totally seperate circuit which you build from scratch so it doesnt piggyback anything else's fusing.

The first option will not work because the door wire is a negative switch. As in when the door is open the wire is grounded.

As for the second option: you don't need to use a relay because the neons draw very little current (nowhere near as much as a regular light bulb) and there is no harm in using the existing dome light power wire, as the neons draw very little current.

You can pick up both 12v power and a door wire in the driver's A-pillar. Probe them with a test light. One will show 12v power all the time, and the other one is the door wire.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2007, 02:58PM »
cheers ill see how i go as i bought the stuff i need and gona have a crack at it after i send this post!!!

ill be back if i have some difficulty lol
"Noss is God"

Offline BILL*69

• is on LPG...
  • post whore
  • Off Defect Finally..
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2007, 06:40PM »
Ill be having a go at this in the next few days also.
mr 4ut0m4t1c d0r1fft0000 p1nny 0n ga5 w17h cu5t0m u13h su8w00f3r!
When i'm cruisin' wit my bitches and G's ready to pop a cap in the ass of some fool who thinks he's bank by takin' my corner of the block....  ::)

Offline Vithy

• post whore
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2007, 10:30PM »
all done very confusing without a multi meter but one i got one it was a lot easyer lol
done all the wiring all i need to do now is mount the tubes and put all the panels i took off back up yay!
"Noss is God"