Author Topic: Now don't laugh, does anyone play lawn bowls.  (Read 13854 times)

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
Now don't laugh, does anyone play lawn bowls.
« on: Jan 18, 2008, 06:12PM »
Now that you have finished laughing, does anyone on here play Lawn Bowls. I didn't play until yesterday till I went to lawn bowls at mermaid beach and tuggen (both in QLD). At first I felt a little weird with all the oldies watching me stuff it up, but I carried on none the less and am actually reasonably good at it. At Mermaid Beach there was a few young guns but mostly oldies, who are glad to help. It is a very precise game and not as slow paced as you would think, it is not as simple as rolling a lop sided ball down the green, you have to understand how the green, the wind and the bias off the bowl work.
   You should give it a go, maybe we should start TEAM ANTRX and show the oldies how to play................. ;D

Offline phantom

• antrx.com senior member
  • The Fighting Ninth
Re: Now don't laugh, does anyone play lawn bowls.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:22PM »
rofl-snort......
nah most games/sports are fun as long as you are actually playing, although lawn bowls does look incredibly boring on tv....

Offline JelloBello

• Attesa Driver
  • west oz local moderator
  • post whore
  • Got Pastie?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:39PM »
although lawn bowls does look incredibly boring on tv....

you kidding? I love sitting down and watching a bit of lawn bowls on ABC on weekends!

We played it for 10 weeks during yr 11 "phys ed" and to be honest I sucked crap at it :P
1994 u13 SSS Attesa ftw. Project thread here
13.876 @ 98.83mph

Offline nbgrove57

• antrx.com junior member
  • 1995 Nissan Bluebird SSS
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2008, 09:59PM »
Yeah i played a bit when i went to high school, part of the phys ed programme and is actually a fun game to play,also don't mind watching abit. Definitely not just a old persons game!!

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2008, 12:17AM »
rofl-snort......
nah most games/sports are fun as long as you are actually playing, although lawn bowls does look incredibly boring on tv....

dont knock it! many a hung over sunday morning i'd be cheering (quietly) for the aussies in the international lawn bowls championships on abc

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline dave-trx

• post whore
  • hates everything
« Reply #5 on: Jan 19, 2008, 08:49AM »
I use to play a couple of years ago. I had a game a couple of months ago and thought I would have played like shit. I still have it, if I was up QLD way I would be up for playing in a team.

Cheers Mate.

Dave.
Your car may be able to go faster.
But I can go any where. except into a garage, underground carpark, bridge...

2 sticks and manual locking hubs. have to get out to drive it around
Good old Nissan.

KA's are the shit. According to all the info on the site, they are better then sliced bread and thats saying something.

I Got Baned for being a Total Assclown, Wanker, Tool, etc...

Offline hrmmmm

• antrx.com junkie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 19, 2008, 03:11PM »

We played it for 10 weeks during yr 11 "phys ed" and to be honest I sucked crap at it :P
Pretty much how I was the first few times I bowled, but then with coaching and help from my pop I learnt how the bowl works in different conditions.

Yeah i played a bit when i went to high school, part of the phys ed programme and is actually a fun game to play,also don't mind watching abit. Definitely not just a old persons game!!

When we were a the tugen bowls club there wasa younger kid there, he was maybe 13, he had his own bowls (good bowls cost >$500) and was very good.

It is funny at the bowls clubs once you have been there for 10 mins you don't notice that the place is filled with oldies, and they don't really notice you.

But everyone, seriously think about making a team or going to your local bowls club and having a go, generally it doesn't cost anything (sometime a $1 or $2, at my local club it cost $8 for the day because it is a small club) and bowl hire is free, they have iced water in a fountain with plastic cups for free as well, the only thing you pay for is if you want a jug of soft drink.

Offline thumbtack

• thats not gone well
  • rum country correspondant
  • post whore
  • fallaces sunt rerum species
« Reply #7 on: Jan 19, 2008, 04:03PM »
yeah my brothers really dig lawn bowls. one of them was telling me about it the other day, said he was at a place on the goldy for a work thing. reckons its the best sport simply because you are at the most 50 feet away from the bar haha. that and a jug of beer is rediculously low. i dont remember exactly, but i know i was very interested in finding the place haha.
The old USSR had a single time zone. They had a hammer and sickle in the ground near the Kremlin much like a sundial.
Arguments raged for years as to what to call the timezone
Moscow Time?
Comrade Time?
In the end they all agreed.
Hammer Time.

the thumbtack corporation tm is not responsible for any injuries incurred as a result of thumbtack. any resemblance to any stationery, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2008, 09:17AM »
reckons its the best sport simply because you are at the most 50 feet away from the bar haha.

lol last time i went lawn bowling i think i polished off 15 margaritas.. just get fresh ones while you're waiting for your turn  ::)

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline chr1S

• r&d team
  • post whore
« Reply #9 on: Feb 2, 2008, 05:07PM »
I played 10 weeks of it too in yr11

Everybowl I fucked everyone up as I just slammed everything out of the way, I clearly never cared about this sport.
Don't let the opinions of the average man sway you. Dream, and he thinks you're crazy. Succeed, and he thinks you're lucky. Acquire wealth, and he thinks you're greedy. Pay no attention. He simply doesn't understand.

to be fair, it wouldn't be ANTRX if we stayed on topic.

and if someone wasn't cranky at Chr1s for something he said...