Author Topic: Bikes.  (Read 4179 times)

Offline lozza

• antrx.com junior member
  • D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Bikes.
« on: Mar 6, 2006, 07:30PM »
I need some advise from those of you into bike riding, my girlfriend is getting back into sport for some exercise and i am goin to do the same. My question is what sort of bike should buy? i want it to ride to work and around town (eventually), i would like to take it down some of the bush tracks around town also. Im not after the best around, just a nice durable and versatile bike. What sort of price would i be looking at? What brands of bike?

Offline Jecks

• antrx.com pit crew
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
    • antrx.com
Re: Bikes.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6, 2006, 09:13PM »
i believe either noss or jon (TRXJon) are the best people to speak to...
I'm sick of my knob going all floppy and loose in my hand  :P 
I've been on probation for 21 years, can't make a decision without consulting the wife first  ::)

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #2 on: Mar 6, 2006, 10:07PM »
A hybrid bike, which is simply a cross between a mountain bike and a road bike, might be suitable for you.
because a road bike is going to be totally useless on bush trails, but you probably don't want a full on mountain bike if your using it for regular commuting.

i suggest you go into a few of your local bike shops and have a chat to them about bikes, tell them what you want to use it for and your budget.

Alot of bike shops also operate bike hire, so you may be able to hire a bike for half a day- it's the only real way to figure out if a bikes right for you.

Offline noss

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • great scott!
    • antrx
« Reply #3 on: Mar 7, 2006, 10:44AM »
yeh a hybrid of some description would be your best bet.. in case this is going to be one of those things that gets tossed away to the side when you lose interest, dont go super expensive..

something like the GT timberline or nomad or the trek 7000 would most likely suit you.. and they're not badly priced at atound the $400-500 mark.. good entry level bikes.. but as tas said, hire a bike or go into a bike shop, have a chat, most bike shops will let you take the bike for a spin around the block or the car park to get a quick feel for it..
« Last Edit: Mar 7, 2006, 10:46AM by noss »

http://polyfedelicio.us/imgs/ - free image hosting for whatever you like

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #4 on: Mar 7, 2006, 11:25PM »
if ur going to be riding it predominantly on road/bitumen with very occasional use on trails, then a hybrid will be fine as most hybrids come with tyres that enough tread on em to ride on gravel. otherwise, you can get like a "lower end" mtb that will still be durable for trail riding, yet the design of the frame angles will still be slack enough to ride in and around town. as noss said, anywhere between $400-500 would be fine, but (as with everything.... usually!) the more you pay, the better components the bike will have and thus last u longer and require less servicing.

ahhh.... a suspension seat post might be worth considering if ur just gonna use it as a recreational thing and only really gonna ride paved bike paths in and around the city. Bike brands worth lookin at are Giant (usually their bikes r good value for money, they've been in the market for AGES and only sell quality stuff), GT (cos i like their "triple triangle" design frames and are also pretty good value), Trek and Advanti are also worth considering.... probably stay away from Norco as they mainly focus on "North Shore" style riding and won't really be worth considering for what u wanna ride for.

anywho, u're probably getting bored now, as tas and noss have said, check out you local bike shop and they should let u ride a few that interest u. if u need a helmet and lights, most bike shops should be able to giv u some sort of deal with them, or even chuck em in for free! (as me mate got - lucky bastard!).

good luck with it man, if u hav any more qu's, just ask away as i LOVE cycling stuff - esp mtb'ing!
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....

Offline Jtas

• Sarcasminator
  • antrx cruise monkey
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Mar 8, 2006, 11:40AM »
....Advanti are also worth considering....

It's Avanti dammit!   Advanti make car wheels :P

Offline Carbon-goodness

• On ya bike!
  • post whore
  • self confessed antrx cycling nut
« Reply #6 on: Mar 8, 2006, 02:56PM »
It's Avanti dammit!   Advanti make car wheels :P

hehe, cheers man! getting my toys mixed up!  :D
If somebody asks you, "can I ask you a question?" and you say, "no",  you're actually answering a question. Think about it....