Author Topic: Removing U13 Windscreen  (Read 1861 times)

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
Removing U13 Windscreen
« on: Sep 21, 2007, 04:55PM »
Has anyone here successfully removed a U13 windscreen, ie without breaking/cracking/chipping it???

The bluey that i just bought is a SSS with the HUD, but the previous owner did a dodgey and replaced the windscreen with a normal windscreen with a piece of tint for the HUD. Me being particularly fussy, am finding this very annoying as the HUD isn't as clear as NIZ's was.

I have managed to find a wreckers with a SSS with the HUD windscreen intact, and they have quoted me a price for if i remove it myself or for an extra $75 they said they will do it for me. I will however, be getting a professional windscreen fitting place to remove the old windscreen from NIZ 2 and have them fit this new one.

Was just wondering if anyone has any tips/hints etc that might help me to remove this one from the wreckers tomorrow arvo, or should i just pay the extra $75 and get them to do it for me???

Offline Alister

• antrx.com junkie
  • 5.7L LS1 oooh yeah baby!
Re: Removing U13 Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2007, 09:32PM »
The standard HUD windscreen should just have a piece of mirror tint where the HUD projects on to. The replaced windscreen in your bluey, does it have mirror tint or standard black tint for the HUD? Also, if it does have mirror tint, it may be the wrong % for the HUD. Worth looking into before grabbing one out a wreck.

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2007, 10:01PM »
I have helped remove a windscreen and rear window from a KA laser, so
Be extremely careful !
Towels and thick blankets are good for transporting them around. Prevents damage just wrap them tightly.
If you can heat the rubber strip up, i had a heat gun, and never try and force (kicking or shoving or punching) the screen it should pop or fall out slightly. If not gently push evenly over.
Windscreens that require lots of forcing mean that the cars roof line has sagged or the chassis is warping. Also keep car flat and level to stop warping happening whilst your doing it
Best of luck and have fun
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread

Offline Jono

• The Wise Man
  • Global Moderator
  • post whore
  • memory boy!
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2007, 10:16PM »
You need a tool that cuts the sealant, it's basically an L-shaped thing with a blade at the bottom that slides in under the screen and cuts as you drag it around the outside. Then the screen should basically lift out.

IMO it'd be worth the extra $75 to have them do it, it's a prick of a job, and if you break it when you're removing it you then have to find another one.

Nissan sealant is strong stuff... I tried removing the windscreen out of my Corsair wreck using a piece of fine welding wire to cut the sealant. Didn't work. It got stuck on a seam between two pieces of metal and when I tugged the wire the glass cracked, so I started kicking it out, and ended up leaving a 10cm border of broken glass around the outside of the windscreen because it was so hard to pull off the sealant.
#1 Post Wh0re
pringles was here!

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #4 on: Sep 22, 2007, 08:43PM »
Woohoo, a huge thanks to lil bro!!! We managed to get the windscreen out of the wreck with no worries, in one piece!
Even the guys at the wreckers said we would never be able to do it, but we proved them wrong.

All we did was run a stanley knife all around it and it came out easily. Although it was a tough effort for lil bro to work the stanley knife around. Only took about 1/2 hour.

Will be getting O'Brien's to fit it for me next weekend. That way i won't have to worry about leaks or anything as it'll all be covered under a lifetime warranty...