Author Topic: lowering my bluey  (Read 2068 times)

Offline Black_Serenade

• antrx.com junior member
lowering my bluey
« on: Jul 5, 2007, 03:41AM »
hey guys. whats the cheapest way to lower my bluey without risking anything bad happening to the car? the whiteline handling kit is too expensive for me so thats out of the question ..using stock alloys/tyres..  Also what would be involed if i wanted to move onto some low profile wheels later on down the track ..maybe upping wheel size??

thanks

Offline Smiley Of Terror

• post whore
Re: lowering my bluey
« Reply #1 on: Jul 5, 2007, 05:25AM »
welcome to ANTRX,

I would like to direct you to the search function found towards the top right of the screen. You will find it very useful if you are looking for information. In future, consult it before posting, as sometimes you can find some very cranky ANTRXers who would be happy to flame you for asking a question that has been covered before on various occasions.

Using a search I have discovered:
the cheapest way would be to get Pedders springs. but they aren't as stiff as some and might be prone to sagging. Also try king springs, they are cheaper than whiteline but are not as saggy as Pedders.

as far as wheels go, as long as you don't change the outer diameter of the wheels then you shouldn't have a problem with a lowered car. Also, if you are considering larger wheels down the track, then leave a couple of inches space.
nissan enthusiast who... umm... drives a toyota.

'95 n/a Mr2

Offline wicked

• antrx.com senior member
  • U13
« Reply #2 on: Jul 5, 2007, 11:13AM »
Maybe you should do it properly and not go for some cheapies, might end up compromising on Bluey handling and endanger your life. Whatever you do, don't chop your springs. Even if you get lowered springs, you want to match it to correct shockies too. For handling, get a rear sway bar. Just a few thoughts. :)

Offline NIZ013

• No longer a Nissan Driver...
  • post whore
    • UDC
« Reply #3 on: Jul 5, 2007, 05:23PM »
My U13 bluey was lowered with 1 1/2 inch lowered king springs and sat nicely on the Lenso 17's i had. The springs cost about $250 for all four. I also changed the shocks while i was at it, given the age of the car, which was about $400 for the shocks and another $50 for the camber pins. Not sure how comparable the prices are as i got them at trade price through repco about 2 and a half years ago.

The Lenso mags i had came off a 180sx and were +38 offset. These sat perfectly under the guards with no need for spacers. I was running 225/45/17's all round.

I definately would not be chopping the original springs!!! It may be the cheapest alternative, but it is definately the dodgey'ist and not at all legal and i'm sure you'll find it'll do more harm to the rest of your suspension, especially the shocks.

Offline slim

• post whore
  • Nissan Bluebird SSS 1996 ®
    • Pictures
« Reply #4 on: Jul 5, 2007, 05:44PM »
welcome to ANTRX,

I would like to direct you to the search function found towards the top right of the screen. You will find it very useful if you are looking for information. In future, consult it before posting, as sometimes you can find some very cranky ANTRXers who would be happy to flame you for asking a question that has been covered before on various occasions.

have a read of jellobello lowering of his u13. its has incorrect installation and then the correct way to install the springs if your DIY
I think from memory in that post it mentions low profile tyres or tyre options.
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php?topic=13178.0

Get king springs, the whiteline handlingkit is for improved handling all over, boy do i want one.
and you want to lower the car only, so king springs should do nicely
  • Bosch HID Kit, Clear Side & Front Indicators + Bulbs
  • B&M Shortshifter
  • JVC DVD Touchscreen 5.1 Surround Sound
  • Full Whiteline Kit
  • Tokico Shocks
¤ slim's 1996 SSS Bluebird Project Thread