Author Topic: ka24e turbo conversion.  (Read 10615 times)

Offline trxpinny

• antrx.com junior member
  • The D/P is not my trx, BUT one day ill get there!
ka24e turbo conversion.
« on: Feb 22, 2012, 08:44PM »
hey peeps. going to be doing a turbo conversion on my ka trx and will be making all the piping myself including the mainfold etc. wanted to hit everone up and see what ppl think things are that i should be on the look out during the conversion.. will be needing a metal head gasket or decomp plate of some sort so i dont go blowing conrods out of bed on the first drive lol :P. who knows where i can get one if really needed at all.??

tossing up one whether to fit the DOHC head while im at it or not to bother... thinking of using the injectors from the DOHC in my SOHC if i dont end up going with the DOHC swap... would the DOHC injectors fit into the fuel rail etc of the SOHC?? also looking into getting hold of a eprom or ecu as i dont think the stock ecu will appreciate the positive manifold pressure lol  :P and having it dynoed once the works done on the conversion..

so if anyone has any tips of things to do or needed to complete the conversion please feel free to help me out lol.

cheers, mat.
GOT IT FOR CHEAP, LOOKING FOR BOOST, AND GOSH DARN I WILL!! LOL

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
Re: ka24e turbo conversion.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:05PM »
DOHC injectors will not fit the SOHC rail, you will need 460cc rx7 injectors with a turbo tune/chip made up from noss ol boy.

Once done, pending on how much power you make, go easy on throttle release unless you want engine mounts ripped out.
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #2 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:09PM »
If youre going the DOHC head conversoon dont bother fabbing, you can buy the manifolds from the states quite easily. Just get the KA24DE top mount turbo manifold for a US 240sx and flip it upside down. Works perfectly. Plumbing will obviously be custom. Stock injectors (260cc) are good for 3psi apparently. Anymore and you need some big ones.

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #3 on: Feb 22, 2012, 09:23PM »

Once done, pending on how much power you make, go easy on throttle release unless you want engine mounts ripped out.

yer i eard that the mounts dont much like boost and solid mounts dont much help with decent power an will just tear the crossmember.. ok then so would the complete rail inc injectors fit up to the SOHC position? and what series rx7 are they from?

cheezel... arent the DOHC DE manifolds really pricey to land here tho? and as for the stock injectors.. ya pretty much cant drive the thing on boost til ya get new injectors haha.

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #4 on: Feb 22, 2012, 11:25PM »
SSS Solid mounts handle my sr20det conversion with no issues at all.
Quote from: noss
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:45AM »
hey peeps. going to be doing a turbo conversion on my ka trx and will be making all the piping myself including the mainfold etc. wanted to hit everone up and see what ppl think things are that i should be on the look out during the conversion.. will be needing a metal head gasket or decomp plate of some sort so i dont go blowing conrods out of bed on the first drive lol :P. who knows where i can get one if really needed at all.??

tossing up one whether to fit the DOHC head while im at it or not to bother... thinking of using the injectors from the DOHC in my SOHC if i dont end up going with the DOHC swap... would the DOHC injectors fit into the fuel rail etc of the SOHC?? also looking into getting hold of a eprom or ecu as i dont think the stock ecu will appreciate the positive manifold pressure lol  :P and having it dynoed once the works done on the conversion..

so if anyone has any tips of things to do or needed to complete the conversion please feel free to help me out lol.

cheers, mat.

Standard compression for a sohc is 8.6:1, no de comp plate needed.
A standard headgasket with correctly torqued head bolts is good up to about 15psi from memory. Converting to head studs should give you headroom up to 20-25psi, as long as your tune is detonation free.

And yes, you definitely need to get the ecu re-tuned. Send noss a pm, i think he may have something safe for you.

Offline Cheezel

• antrx.com senior member
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:56AM »
DE manifolds to land are something in the order of $200-$400. Check ebay specatular. Shipping is about the same cost as the manifold. I don't think that's expensive, but then again I don't know how to weld, nor do i have the patience.

Offline Pure_Sincerity

• post whore
  • noss is my father
U12 TRX
KA25DE
HIGH COMP
MEGASQUIRT
COILOVERS
INDIVIDUAL THROTTLE BODIES

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #8 on: Feb 23, 2012, 06:39PM »
but then again I don't know how to weld, nor do i have the patience.

lol well i have six months up my sleeve til i get my licence back so i have a bucket load of time to get it done lol..

Standard compression for a sohc is 8.6:1, no de comp plate needed.
A standard headgasket with correctly torqued head bolts is good up to about 15psi from memory. Converting to head studs should give you headroom up to 20-25psi, as long as your tune is detonation free.

And yes, you definitely need to get the ecu re-tuned. Send noss a pm, i think he may have something safe for you.

awesome thats great to know that i dont have to decomp it hehe less work for mat lol. and yer i think it will hit up noss and see what he has to say bout it.. thanks heaps. anything else i should be on the look out for?

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2012, 10:13PM »
I'd say read up on SleepaTI project thread if you want to go the DE. 
http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,14724.0.html

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2012, 02:27PM »
hey just an update. been in contact with noss and will be organising a chip with a baseline map on it to suit boost up to 10psi and then just play with the map on it from there to suit a higher boost pressure once its all running sweet. should have my turbo within a week or so hopefully then start fabbing manifolds and flanges etc etc to get this thing under way lol. does anyone know of a "bolt up" as such cooler kit or is it just best if i get a core and some piping and fab it up myself?? need some help with that bit.. i can get hold of a ford XR-T factory cooler that will enable me to run both the hot and cold sides of the piping thru to the FMIC via the passengers side of the car.. maybe under the passengers headlight or under the lower radiator support and up into the bar cavity... whos got suggestions?

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2012, 03:54PM »
Hey mate,

Look here

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,13726.msg223937.html#msg223937

Thats the start of when i did piping for my car. There are more photos throughout the project thread where i finished it off.

I needed to have two custom pipes made up. The one from the turbo to air filter, and the one from behind the headlight to the intake manifold.

http://www.antrx.com/smf/index.php/topic,13726.msg233751.html#msg233751

I used a gtir kit with all the pipes you see in the links above. The only one that needed modding was the one off the turbo, which i had to cut and use a silicon joiner to point the pipe in the right direction to meet up behind the headlight.
learnt something new just then, dont eat baked bean sandwhiches while changing the paper in the copier

"Noss is GOD"

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2012, 06:50PM »
hey cheers. thats a good thing to know but the outlet position of the TD06 im getting points downwards towards the crossmember then has a 90deg bend and points to the passengers side of the car.. would it be possible to maybe take the two pipes out under the passengers headlight if the sheet steel is trimmed back towards the rad more to allow room for two pipes??

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #13 on: Feb 25, 2012, 03:48AM »
Not too sure on that turbo, but you can rotate the housings on most. I rotated mine so it would point up.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #14 on: Feb 25, 2012, 10:32AM »
what im thinking is of using a ford xr-t stock cooler that will allow me to bring the piping back to the passengers side of the car. thinking of running the hot side piping out under the lower rad support to the cooler then run the return (cold) side back in via under the passengers headlight...

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline Kranzy

• Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12 - SR20DET
« Reply #15 on: Feb 25, 2012, 11:23AM »
Be careful and test fit with a bit of pipe first as you might find you have clearance issues running pipes under the radiator support.

"Noss is GOD"

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #16 on: Feb 25, 2012, 11:35AM »
plus, it may be the first thing you hit when parking/speed humps... etc
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #17 on: Feb 25, 2012, 04:54PM »
plus, it may be the first thing you hit when parking/speed humps... etc

yer thats as far as i can see will be my only issue running the piping where im thinking... as one pipe will fit ok in under the headlight but im thinking i will need to cut to much extra panel out under the headlight to have the two pipe in there...

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline Sticky

• Bad Luck Magnet
  • qld local moderator
  • post whore
« Reply #18 on: Feb 25, 2012, 05:47PM »
Hijack - Ive got a U12 Turbo kit for sale if you need one (minus turbo and intercooler), pm me.

/Hijack.

You can loosen off the bolts on the front turbo housing to point it where you need it to point if that helps.

The best engine in the world is the vagina, it takes any size piston, its self lubricating, starts with 1 finger, and every 4 weeks does its own oil change. It's just a pity the management system is so f**king temperamental.

The Human Torch was denied a bank loan

Offline SSS

• Administrator
  • post whore
« Reply #19 on: Feb 25, 2012, 06:47PM »
What about water to air? much shorter intake charge path back to the throttle body.

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #20 on: Feb 26, 2012, 08:46AM »

You can loosen off the bolts on the front turbo housing to point it where you need it to point if that helps.

yer im gonna need to loosen it and spin it ever so slightly anyway i think...

What about water to air? much shorter intake charge path back to the throttle body.

yer i thought about it as my mate (jason) has one laying around but the price jumps a tad for a water to air set up... compaired to a run of the mill air - air

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!

Offline trxpinny

« Reply #21 on: Mar 18, 2012, 09:06PM »
okey dokey ppl. bit of an update. got all my silcone joiners, manifold flange is being cut atm, about to go get my steam pipe bends etc, got hold of a turbo for it so will start making the manifold and mount it up with the turbo hanging off of it so i can then make up the dump and exhaust system and this is wear im abit lost for ideas... will be using 2.5" pipe right thru but need to work out what to do for mufflers or something as i dont want it over the top loud as to kinda keep it not so obvious that there is boost inside... whos got ideas?

also i need to know if series 5 rx7 purple top (550cc) injectors will be ok to use.. and will they fit in the existing fuel rail or what is needed... and also what does ppl think i should do for a pressure reg...?

cheers guys

PROJECT U12 TRX PINNY!