Author Topic: ka24de and manual swap  (Read 3198 times)

Offline chrislapp

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
ka24de and manual swap
« on: Jan 11, 2012, 10:53AM »
Hey everybody.  I'm from the U.S. and have a 90 Stanza (U12) with a ka24e and auto transmission.  I have been doing a lot of reading on here regarding a ka24de and manual transmission swap.

The advise I found on here seemed to say to look for a 93-97 Altima (1st gen in USDM).  Is there a reason that parts from 98-2001 Altima (2nd gen) won't work in a u12?  I did some reading on a couple Altima forums and everyone seemed to say both engine and transmission were swappable between the two generations.

Also for reference (at least in the U.S.) the Altima forums say the 93 and some 94s were the only Altimas with LSD.

Does anyone have experience with what axles are required?

I have the opportunity to buy a wrecked 2000 Altima w/ manual transmission to use as a donor car and was trying to figure out if I would have to order anything else or if between my car and the donor I would have everything to do the swap.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Offline Colby

• post whore
  • KA24DE powered TRX
Re: ka24de and manual swap
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:11PM »
I see no reason why either generation of KA24 (FWD) wouldn't fit in the u12.  I did the swap with a 1st gen DE engine.  Driveshafts are the same between the U13/U12 (I'm 99% sure) so you shouldnt have any problem if you use the U13 manual ones, no idea if they are the same as 2000 model though... you'll just have to make sure they match the box if its LSD/non LSD.
Engine mount fixing points all line up (may need U12 brackets).  Plus you'll need to modify the radiator hoses, but I think the DE radiator is a bit bigger anyway so maybe swap that over too.  Exhausts are different so you're best to get some headers done.  Thats it from memory.
The hardest part is rewiring.

Hope that helps

Offline Budgie

• Dr. B Udgie - AWD FTW
  • Administrator
  • post whore
  • U12-U13
« Reply #2 on: Jan 11, 2012, 12:41PM »
I think its all do-able.

The 1998 model KA24DE altima's had 116kw over the 112kw of the 1993 to 1997 models... so a slight improvement.
dont piss me off with your pillarless shit captain snappy wrist

Offline chrislapp

• antrx.com newbie with pewbies
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2012, 01:46PM »
Alright thanks for the input.